The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by mortaz786
you are right . My teacher said stretching was the best word to use.

the next question talked about recoil between B and C

Oh damn D: and yeah there I talked about taking air out of the lungs, I talked about external intercorstal muscles, the diaphragm, and pressure in the thorax which helped to exhale air, stupidly though I didnt even mention the elastic fibres recoiling D: :facepalm: Would I get any marks?
This exam was the worstttt!! I really needed a good grade in it too :frown:
Reply 1382
Original post by Amz1217
The spirometer trace is going up from A to B so that would show the person is breathing out and the pen goes up so the elastic fibres would recoil to force out that air

I could have sworn it was a lung volume graph? so because it went up that means that the lung volume went up, so the lungs filled with air meaning that the elastic fibres expanded to let in this air? D:
Original post by Amz1217
The spirometer trace is going up from A to B so that would show the person is breathing out and the pen goes up so the elastic fibres would recoil to force out that air

read the question.... it wasn't a spirometer trace it was volume of air in the lungs....

sorry to break your heart but you just lost 7-8 marks here
Original post by Amz1217
Yes, it was tidal volume and the line A to B represents the elastic fibres recoiling to force out air

i knew that it was tidal volme but in the end i put vital capacityyyy....oh damn.

does anyone know about the answer for beaths per minute??
read the question.... it wasn't a spirometer trace it was volume of air in the lungs....

so what was the answer??
Original post by Neena
Oh damn D: and yeah there I talked about taking air out of the lungs, I talked about external intercorstal muscles, the diaphragm, and pressure in the thorax which helped to exhale air, stupidly though I didnt even mention the elastic fibres recoiling D: :facepalm: Would I get any marks?

yes maybe full marks. Max you dropped is one

It's a common mistake, and the mark scheme is likely to have a few ECF marks to account for that.
Reply 1388
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
i knew that it was tidal volme but in the end i put vital capacityyyy....oh damn.

does anyone know about the answer for beaths per minute??

The answer was 12! And I got 84 breaths per minute, which is crazy, what a fail xD!
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
so what was the answer??

A-B was breathing in so the elastic fibres stretch/expand

B-c was breathing out. so talk about intercosal muscles, thorax,diaphragm etc....
Reply 1390
yes maybe full marks. Max you dropped is one

Oh right, sounds good! :biggrin:
Original post by Neena
The answer was 12! And I got 84 breaths per minute, which is crazy, what a fail xD!

if u looked at the graph you would see it took 5 seconds for 1 breath.

5x12= 60

so 1x12= 12
simples
Reply 1392
Last question regarding this exam guys but you know the heat on the phloem, can you say at 50 degrees that the enzymes allowing ATP to be produced where denatured? Or not?

Sure I saw that on a mark scheme!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
THAT EXAM WAS HORRIBLE snm. everything i revised didnt come up, basically i didnt revise much HAHA :biggrin:
Reply 1394
Original post by Neena

jesus christ who the hell breathes at 84 breaths per minute
Original post by Onkar-M
Last question regarding this exam guys but you know the heat on the phloem, can you see at 50 degrees that the enzymes allowing ATP to be produced where denatured? Or not?

Sure I saw that on a mark scheme!!!

I went down that route, only as a last resort though! I will be interested to see what the mark scheme says when its finally released.
Predictions on grade boundaries?

Hopefully nice and low since people found it difficult generally.
Reply 1397

B-c was breathing out. so talk about intercosal muscles, thorax,diaphragm etc....

I was using the spirometer trace as an example to talk from but I just looked through a biology book and it says that if the trace goes up the person is breathing out and if the trace goes down the person is breathing in so I talked about inspiration on that 4 mark question, my teacher even said so afterwards when he looked at the question
Reply 1398
Original post by Axion
jesus christ who the hell breathes at 84 breaths per minute

Ahaha I know right! Possibly the most stupid mistake I have ever made xD! - I didn't know how to calculate it though, Like half an hour before the exam i posted a question on here asking how you would do the calculation, but no one replied, so i did a completely random way on working it out xD

the a-b question i put recoils which i am guessing is wrong
b-c I wrote the same answer!

Latest

Trending

Trending