The Student Room Group

Mature student questions

Hey Guys:wink:

Im going to be applying to do Access Social Science Sept 2013 when im 26 as I really cant afford to start college this year. Im taking this year to save up as much as I can to make sure I have at least a few thousand in the bank for to pay for college and get some savings for uni. I will hopefully be going to uni when im 27 Im just worried I will be to old and not sure if I will fit in.

I just have a few questions for you guys:biggrin:

what age you all started uni?

when you went to uni did you live in halls?

did you find it hard to fit in and make friends?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by GaryPaul

Hey,

There's a pretty big mature student community on here so I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback! I had the same questions 6 months ago.:smile:

Since then I've secured a place at uni :biggrin: Similarly to you I will be 27 when I start. I decided to find private accommodation (at least it looks that way). I just don't want my housemates to feel uncomfortable and although I do enjoy a night out, I don't fancy being disturbed nightly.

Im hoping that, like a work place, its all dependant on your attitude whether you fit in or not. Anyway Im sure, with so many students from all walks of life, we will find like minded people!:smile:
Reply 2
I was 35 when I started uni and went to a university close to where I live so stayed in my own house. I've never had any trouble fitting in, despite the fact that they are all a good 15 years younger than me! Go for it - I'm loving every minute of my degree and have never regretted it :-)
Reply 3
Hey guys thanks for the responces :smile:

Original post by jdinsaanen
I decided to find private accommodation

I never thought of private accomodation will that be like a studio/flat? and would you be the only one there?

congratz on your place at uni:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey guys thanks for the responces :smile:

I never thought of private accomodation will that be like a studio/flat? and would you be the only one there?

congratz on your place at uni:biggrin:

Thanks, Im very excited!

Sorry, I wasn't that clear. There are a few options that I looked into. Usually halls is for first years only so there are plenty of student flats/houses around the campus and into city centres ect for second/third year students. I looked at some of these but didn't like the lack of social space (landlords only get income from bedrooms so turned every available room into one). Some of the places didnt even have space for a table in the kitchen.

I found a house which is usually occupied by students as well as young professionals. The landlord was more open to mature student tenants which will probably suit me. A studio could work but it may be a little expensive and being a student you would do quite well to find a contract that allows a student tenant.

Dont rule halls out though. I was told by my uni that they would try to place me with other mature students if I stated I wanted that on my application. It might be right for you.
Reply 5
Original post by drummergirl
I was 35 when I started uni and went to a university close to where I live so stayed in my own house. I've never had any trouble fitting in, despite the fact that they are all a good 15 years younger than me! Go for it - I'm loving every minute of my degree and have never regretted it :-)

Thanks for the post. I wish I were that optimistic! I have studied economics in the past and I am currently employed, but I would like to start studying Marine Biology in 2013 (I am 29).
And one of the things that "scare" me of going back to Uni is being in a new place, with 18 year old students, where I will feel like an old dinosaur! :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by guanchi
Thanks for the post. I wish I were that optimistic! I have studied economics in the past and I am currently employed, but I would like to start studying Marine Biology in 2013 (I am 29).
And one of the things that "scare" me of going back to Uni is being in a new place, with 18 year old students, where I will feel like an old dinosaur! :eek:

There is the old bit of 'banter' about my age, but it really isn't an issue! It was also the thing that scared me most before I got there, but we all get on really well. Good luck with your degree!
With regards to living arrangements if you want to go into Halls some Unis put Mature Students and Post Grads together so that you get a closer range of ages. Good luck with whatever you choose though, I'm sure you'll do fine!
Reply 8

Im going to be applying to do Access Social Science Sept 2013 when im 26 as I really cant afford to start college this year. Im taking this year to save up as much as I can to make sure I have at least a few thousand in the bank for to pay for college and get some savings for uni.
:smile:

Access course fees will be increasing quite significantly although as I understand it you will be able to apply for a loan to cover the costs. It might be financially better to do the accesss course this year and then take a gap year to earn money before starting uni.
Original post by jami74
Access course fees will be increasing quite significantly although as I understand it you will be able to apply for a loan to cover the costs. It might be financially better to do the accesss course this year and then take a gap year to earn money before starting uni.

Really :eek: I had no idea of this.

I am starting this year thankfully, just had no idea this was going on.

Looks like life is going to get far too expensive soon. It's pretty bad now; the next few years don't look that bright either :eek:

Thanks for letting us know this :h: Will give me even more determination to do well this year, make the most of it, so to speak.
Reply 10
Original post by sweetiepie82
Really :eek: I had no idea of this.

I am starting this year thankfully, just had no idea this was going on.

Looks like life is going to get far too expensive soon. It's pretty bad now; the next few years don't look that bright either :eek:

Thanks for letting us know this :h: Will give me even more determination to do well this year, make the most of it, so to speak.

Yeah, I don't know the full details or whether it comes in next year or the year after but one of my teachers said they are worried about if enough people will be able to pay or be prepared to get a loan to make the access course viable. On the other hand it will be like the foundation years at uni, just another year of student debt so might make it more accessible for people who can't pay up front.

Now that I've done my course I feel it is worth every penny of whatever they charge but when deciding about it last year I wasn't sure if it was a good investment or not.
Original post by jami74
Yeah, I don't know the full details or whether it comes in next year or the year after but one of my teachers said they are worried about if enough people will be able to pay or be prepared to get a loan to make the access course viable. On the other hand it will be like the foundation years at uni, just another year of student debt so might make it more accessible for people who can't pay up front.

Now that I've done my course I feel it is worth every penny of whatever they charge but when deciding about it last year I wasn't sure if it was a good investment or not.

I had not heard about the significant increase either, but I am not surprised given recent policy trends. If the fees go up signficantly then the distinction between Access HE plus 3 year degree and 4 year degree with foundation will blur as will the difference between doing Access to HE and doing a couple of OU credits prior to going to Uni.

One assumes that as these are tuition loans they will not be means tested ?

Other changes seem to be developing in response to recent changes in policy such as KPMG's school leaver scheme, specifically stating, avoid Uni costs.

What is not clear is whether these policy changes are driven by fiscal balancing or whether it is an attempt to unwind the initiative for many more folks to go to Uni and for more and more jobs to require a degree. Or is it simply that supply (of students) is massively out stripping demand for graduates in general terms, some fields will experience a shortage, and hence the objective is to curtail demand, in the same way that petrol tax is meant to cut CO2 emmissions.

The thing I would be interested to know is:

If you pass the course, but fail to get any offers, do you get your Access loan wiped out?

Another year of significant cost, even if via a loan, will revise the ROI position for many mature students.
Reply 12

Im going to be applying to do Access Social Science Sept 2013 when im 26 as I really cant afford to start college this year. Im taking this year to save up as much as I can to make sure I have at least a few thousand in the bank for to pay for college and get some savings for uni. I will hopefully be going to uni when im 27 Im just worried I will be to old and not sure if I will fit in.

I just have a few questions for you guys:biggrin:

Im starting uni in september so i cant give you great answers, but i can allay some fears. I will be 27 when i start. I will live in halls for the first year. I doubt i will have trouble making friends, im friends with every 19yr old on my access course, and people dont look at you by age. In fact one of my best friends on the access course is 50, and my other best friends are 19 and 21. You'll have no problem making friends as nobody will know anyone else either. Plus there are a lot of mature (21+) students at uni, i thought i saw somewhere that its almost 50%, but i could be wrong.

Have fun on Access, its awesome.

Oh, my dad was 37/38 when he started uni and made friends with everyone and still is really good friends with many of them, age isnt a factor.
Reply 13
I'll be 28 when I start uni in September and I'll be studying media. I'm currently study a higher education media course at college with I have totally enjoyed. The current age range in my course is 19-54 yrs old and I get along with any age range... I just deal with peoples attitudes regardless of age and I'm the person who's always giggling or cracking a joke but does all the work on time, so I guess that has broken the ice with a lot of people from day one :smile:

I'm totally looking forward to the whole uni experience :smile:
Reply 14
Hi

I am 32 and have been completing a Landbased science access course I have less than a couple of months left and I was offered 3 uni places and have made my first choice marine biology and coastal ecology at Plymouth. I get on with everyone on my access course and ages range from 20 - 32 (me) I have made good friends and we meet outside as well as in college. I am sure this will continue at uni as these days all ages mix. Trust me all will be fine no age is too old if you are doing what you love! :wink:
Reply 15
Hey guys thanks for the replys :smile:

I have managed to save £1600 so far and if the fees are going to rise as people have said it might be better to just start now.

this is a hard choice to make think I better get in touch with my local college.

thanks again for the replys guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending