The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Thinking of applying for English Literature and History combined degree at LJMU

I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate English Literature and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I am considering putting in an application at LJMU for this course for entry next September I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc.
I am 24 (I guess a "mature student") so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days LJMU held this side of Christmas but I have been given a link for a "virtual open day" to peruse at my convenience, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance!
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi,

It's great to hear you are considering studying with us! :smile:

The BA (Hons) History and English Literature programme here at LJMU is taught in our Mount Pleasant campus, which means you would be studying just a short walk from the city centre. It's a great location! The course has a great range of optional modules too, so you can really tailor the programme to your interests.

All new students are guaranteed accommodation in the city too, should you need it. A number of quieter rooms are available for mature students and you can also request to be in a flat with other mature students, if you like.

In terms of financial support for mature students, we have a scholarship available. The Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship has been introduced to recognise the diverse and inspiring nature of the LJMU student community. These high profile scholarships have been developed to reward the success of students that may have had a different and sometimes longer path into Higher Education or have overcome adversity in some way. So, if you are a care leaver, a young adult carer, disabled, BAME or a mature student, we would love to hear from you. More info can be found here - https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/discover/fees-and-funding/bursaries-and-scholarships

Our Students Union is for all students, and there are plenty of groups, sports and societies available - from Taylor Swift to true crime. More info can be found here - https://www.jmsu.co.uk/

The course page for History and English Literature can be found here - https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2024/36046-history-and-english-literature-ba-hons and if you have specific questions, you can contact our Course Enquires team on 0151 231 5090 or by email on [email protected]

Hope this helps! :smile:

Ellen
Liverpool
Original post by emlouimawx
I am currently in the middle of my UCAS application for an undergraduate English Literature and History combined degree (my Personal Statement is currently awaiting a review) & after tons of research on the university, student life, and the course itself, I am considering putting in an application at LJMU for this course for entry next September I am wondering whether there is anybody (regardless of what year of study) studying at this university & can give me some advice, thoughts and opinions on the course and campus etc.
I am 24 (I guess a "mature student") so I am out of the traditional 18-21 student age range so I am questioning what the university is like/ treats the category of students I fall into.
Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of the open days LJMU held this side of Christmas but I have been given a link for a "virtual open day" to peruse at my convenience, so understandably, any input from anybody who is a current/ past student or in any way affiliated with the university would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Well done on deciding a uni and course, it can be a difficult process but LJMU is an excellent place to study.

I'm a current History student at LJMU. I didn't manage to attend a physical open day either, however I found the virtual open day information extremely useful. As an English and History student, you will be based at the Mt Pleasant Campus.

Personally, I think Mt Pleasant Campus has many advantages that make it a great place to study. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? It is located in the Knowledge Quarter of Liverpool, surrounded by many social places like pubs, restaurants and theatres. On this campus is the Aldam Roberts library, which is open 8.45am to 11pm on weekdays and 10am to 8pm on the weekends. As well as books, it has computers, solo and group study spaces, and the LJMU Special Collections and Archives. The Mt Pleasant Campus also has multiple uni cafes in different buildings, and many external small shops and places to eat nearby. It is placed in a useful area of the city, as it's about a 10 minute walk to Ropewalks (the area where a lot of the nightlife is) and about 15 mins to Liverpool One and the main shopping area. It's also roughly 5 mins to get to the Student Life Building, where many events are held, and contains the Student Union, and several other services including wellbeing and careers advice.

In terms of being a mature student, from what I've seen they are not treated any differently from those who have come straight from their A-Levels. There are several students I know who are considered 'mature', and they have never mentioned feeling out of place at uni. I'm sure you won't be the only one on your course.

On the History side of your course, I am really enjoying my first year so far. For the history modules you take, you will be put in with the single honours students and be able to study with them. The Making History module is particularly interesting because it introduces you to the basics, as well as how to approach different sources and how to analyse them. The Exploring History module is semester two is really popular. You have the opportunity to work on a group project to create your own mini museum exhibition, which will be displayed along with everyone else's at the end of the year.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about the campus, course or LJMU in general, please feel free to ask.

Sophie
LJMU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending