The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Did not even think of working the answer out using the BE formula, exam pressure i guess. If you drew the new total costs line incorrectly , however, assuming TC2 is above TC1 , and the new breakeven and profit was marked correct on the diagram using the incorrect TC2 do you think you will still get the marks?
hmm, wonder what the grade boundary for an A will be for this exam.
Reply 421
Original post by Ashbery94
:angry:

where does it say in the mark scheme, i just looked through one all it says is good application AND goo justification :s-smilie: ??

The descriptor for evaluation says "judgement with well supported justification" and the well balanced bit is off tutor2u and at the back or front of the mark scheme under analysis it says "good analysis... candidate develops a chain argument" meaning that you make a point and then say the other side to it or something, but the key word there is argument. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 422
Original post by KieranIp
Did not even think of working the answer out using the BE formula, exam pressure i guess. If you drew the new total costs line incorrectly , however, assuming TC2 is above TC1 , and the new breakeven and profit was marked correct on the diagram using the incorrect TC2 do you think you will still get the marks?
hmm, wonder what the grade boundary for an A will be for this exam.

You should get follow on marks, depends on the examiner and mark scheme I guess.
Reply 423
Original post by KieranIp
For the change in total costs for the break even question (1e) i think it was , could you of done : there was an increase in variable costs by £20 for one unit , therefore for 100 units , that's a £2000 increase onto the total costs , therefore increase the total costs line up by 2 little squares above the 100 units mark , as one little square was worth £1000? Then just placed a line going across this coordinate . Very confused at this question and struggling to think of a CORRECT method to tackle this question .

You could have worked out the new total VC and then add that to the fix costs (which was the point from where the Total Cost line started from)
Reply 424
I'm really confused by people talking about working out break-even. All we had to do was redraw the new total cost line. We didnt have to do any formulaes, there wasn't any room given for working
Reply 425
Original post by ossR
I'm really confused by people talking about working out break-even. All we had to do was redraw the new total cost line. We didnt have to do any formulaes, there wasn't any room given for working

You'd probably of gotten the same answer as me but you could of used the break even formula to calculate the new break even output and then plot the graphs.
Reply 426
Original post by homousandfalafel
Thank you. The majority of people did the profit for the whole year :s-smilie: When the question clearly said, calculated the budgeted profit for the first three months, and at the end it had in brackets (Nov-Jan)
What answer did you get?

I can't actually remember what Mark I got, but I know there was a Mark for writing the actually formula profit=total revenue-total expenditure cos I kept seeing it in the Mark schemes as I went over all the past papers.
So I just wrote that formula and then did the actual calculation..... And made sure I put a £ in front of the answer as I'm guessing marks would be lost for forgetting to do that
Reply 427
Original post by Smeemi
You'd probably of gotten the same answer as me but you could of used the break even formula to calculate the new break even output and then plot the graphs.

How did you draw the bc line?
Reply 428
Original post by ossR
How did you draw the bc line?

Is that profit?

I drew a vertical line for the 225 units and then put bc on the inside between TC2 and TR.
Reply 429
Also. To everyone talking about the break-even question. Look at the BUSS1 June(may) 2010 paper. Almost the exact same question is there
Once the exam is over there is nothing you can do, everyone tried there best :rolleyes:
Reply 431
Original post by ossR
Also. To everyone talking about the break-even question. Look at the BUSS1 June(may) 2010 paper. Almost the exact same question is there

Thats true but thats an increase in fixed cost which is much much easier to show.
I didn't mention anything about the car, I didn't really think there was enough analysis on it..
Reply 433
here is every question in todays exam:

1a, what is meant by the term fixed costs

1b, calculate the total added value that zoe expected to recieve from party bags in the first three months of her business (nov11-jan12)

1c, calculate zoes budgeted profit or loss from her first year of trading (nov11-oct12)

1d, explain two problems that zoe faced in estimating her expenditure budget accurately

1ei, the new total cost line after the increase in variable cost

1eii, the new break even point

1eiii, the new forecast profit as a result of the increase in variable costs, based on zoes estimates of 225 parties

2a, analyse two possible reasons why zoe chose to use personal finance rather than a bank loan.

2b, zoe believed that she conducted her market research well to what extent do you agree? justify your view

2c, in may 2012 zoe stated the business is failing to reach its target at the moment but the reasons have been outside of my control do you agree with zoes statement justify your view
Reply 434
Original post by Smeemi
Thats true but thats an increase in fixed cost which is much much easier to show.

hey mate hows revision for unit 4 going what kind of things have you looked at?
Original post by ossR
I can't actually remember what Mark I got, but I know there was a Mark for writing the actually formula profit=total revenue-total expenditure cos I kept seeing it in the Mark schemes as I went over all the past papers.
So I just wrote that formula and then did the actual calculation..... And made sure I put a £ in front of the answer as I'm guessing marks would be lost for forgetting to do that

Yeah thats what i did - I hope we're right in saying it was a 3 month question as everyone else seems to think otherwise and im getting worried lol i just dont recall seeing a question that states we have to work anything out for a whole year
Reply 436
Yeah thats what i did - I hope we're right in saying it was a 3 month question as everyone else seems to think otherwise and im getting worried lol i just dont recall seeing a question that states we have to work anything out for a whole year

The added value one was for the whole year. But the budget profit was definitely definitely the first 3 months cos I originally did a year but noticed I was wrong and changed it
Original post by ossR
The added value one was for the whole year. But the budget profit was definitely definitely the first 3 months cos I originally did a year but noticed I was wrong and changed it

Oh ok thats good then :smile:

It was defonfor the whole year. Checked that at the end to makesure!!!
Reply 439
Hi, I found the exam quite tough today. I was fortunate enough to be able to obtain a spair copy of my work as I write my exam on a computer. Attatched are my answers as written in the exam. Lookig for general overall feedback from people. I wasn't able to answer 1c or 1e and 1b was handwritten so not on attached file however I believe i got 1125 for that question.

Please reply over how well you think i Answered the questions

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending