The Student Room Group

Which university could I go to?

I got A*A*A in Economics, Business and Media A-level.

I want to do LLB law, with the russel group unis requirements being A*AA.

My GCSEs were mainly 7s with a few 6s and one 8.

What is my upper limit for universities I can get into ? Thanks
You get in anywhere if you got a good LNAT score. Some universities will have GCSE requirements but it depends if you want to go there. I would suggest compiling a list of all the universities you might want to go to and research if they have GCSE requirements and if they require an LNAT or not (12 universities require the LNAT).
The biggest potential barrier here is going to be the combination of A-level Economics and A-level Business Studies - a number of universities consider such a combination less competitive, due to the overlapping content. For example LSE state that those taking economics and business studies together with just one other subject would be at a disadvantage usually: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

You'll need to check the specific information provided by each university to see what their policy on that may be. Provided they don't have an issue with that (they will state if they do - if nothing is written then assume it's not a problem), then you're fine though :smile:

As above you will need to also consider whether the LNAT is required (and how you perform on it) and whether they weight GCSEs more or less than others (e.g. Oxford and LSE tend to weight GCSEs more than Cambridge and I believe UCL, for example).
Original post by artful_lounger
The biggest potential barrier here is going to be the combination of A-level Economics and A-level Business Studies - a number of universities consider such a combination less competitive, due to the overlapping content. For example LSE state that those taking economics and business studies together with just one other subject would be at a disadvantage usually: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

You'll need to check the specific information provided by each university to see what their policy on that may be. Provided they don't have an issue with that (they will state if they do - if nothing is written then assume it's not a problem), then you're fine though :smile:

As above you will need to also consider whether the LNAT is required (and how you perform on it) and whether they weight GCSEs more or less than others (e.g. Oxford and LSE tend to weight GCSEs more than Cambridge and I believe UCL, for example).

Ok thanks, I will look into the LNAT.

So generally, which level of university can I get into realistically? I know not Oxbridge level
Original post by gregregregreg
Ok thanks, I will look into the LNAT.

So generally, which level of university can I get into realistically? I know not Oxbridge level

Well, Cambridge is a possibility if they have no reservations about the business studies-economics combination. You meet their requirements on paper otherwise and they tend to weight GCSEs less than Oxford. Generally an upwards trajectory in grades is seen favourably.
Well, Cambridge is a possibility if they have no reservations about the business studies-economics combination. You meet their requirements on paper otherwise and they tend to weight GCSEs less than Oxford. Generally an upwards trajectory in grades is seen favourably.

I'm going to be honest - I am set to go to UoBirmingham this september. I didn't expect to do so well in my A-Levels.

Considering Media isn't respected that well as an A-Level, AND the econ+business combination, and the fact law is very competitive, is this a viable route? If I took a gap year and possibly did an EPQ, got some proper work experience at a paralegal firm etc, would this be worth it?

Not even cambridge really, I don't believe it myself, but LSE or Warwick?

Basically I put this on here because I'm in a UoB 2023 Law chat, and the grades are mainly AAA/AAB - and I'm thinking could I go higher, is it really worth it considering it is already an RG?

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit miffed cuz I feel like I'm being overly petty after thinking I may have not even got into UoB just a few days ago, and now I'm thinking I could do 'better'... Idk.... I'm so lost .... I've booked accom and everything lol (but can still cancel)

So if it is viable, please tell me, I can get in touch with a bunch of unis tomorrow to see some possibilities, obviously as you said it hangs a lot on the LNAT so
Original post by gregregregreg
I'm going to be honest - I am set to go to UoBirmingham this september. I didn't expect to do so well in my A-Levels.

Considering Media isn't respected that well as an A-Level, AND the econ+business combination, and the fact law is very competitive, is this a viable route? If I took a gap year and possibly did an EPQ, got some proper work experience at a paralegal firm etc, would this be worth it?

Not even cambridge really, I don't believe it myself, but LSE or Warwick?

Basically I put this on here because I'm in a UoB 2023 Law chat, and the grades are mainly AAA/AAB - and I'm thinking could I go higher, is it really worth it considering it is already an RG?

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit miffed cuz I feel like I'm being overly petty after thinking I may have not even got into UoB just a few days ago, and now I'm thinking I could do 'better'... Idk.... I'm so lost .... I've booked accom and everything lol (but can still cancel)

So if it is viable, please tell me, I can get in touch with a bunch of unis tomorrow to see some possibilities, obviously as you said it hangs a lot on the LNAT so

As the link above I don't think LSE is likely. Warwick isn't especially well known for Law - places like Nottingham, Bristol, York are probably better options if you're looking outside of Oxbridge and maybe outside of London, but are all probably close to Birmingham overall.. Within London UCL may be an option as I can't see they have commented specifically on the combination of business studies and economics.

Cambridge may well be an option if they don't have an issue with the combination of economics and business studies. Oxford possibly slightly less due to being more focused on GCSEs. Still, it's at most 1 out of 5 options so you lose nothing by throwing your hat in the ring.

Don't think an EPQ is particularly worth it, especially during a gap year - you may as well just do your wider reading around whatever topic the EPQ would be on anyway. Doubt you'll be able to find paralegal work experience as a school leaver, although there may be other opportunities you could look into (volunteering at magistrates courts or something). Although I would emphasise, that is not likely to make or break an application and would be primarily for your own experience and understanding of the legal system and thinking about future options (e.g. barrister vs solicitor route).

Honestly I don't think you'll really miss out anything by going to Birmingham. It's still a very good uni and no doubt a decent law course. If you really like the uni then I'd say probably fine to stick with it, especially if you've paid deposits on accommodation etc.

You can always do an LLM at one of those other unis after your undergrad if you want to :smile:
As the link above I don't think LSE is likely. Warwick isn't especially well known for Law - places like Nottingham, Bristol, York are probably better options if you're looking outside of Oxbridge and maybe outside of London, but are all probably close to Birmingham overall.. Within London UCL may be an option as I can't see they have commented specifically on the combination of business studies and economics.

Cambridge may well be an option if they don't have an issue with the combination of economics and business studies. Oxford possibly slightly less due to being more focused on GCSEs. Still, it's at most 1 out of 5 options so you lose nothing by throwing your hat in the ring.

Don't think an EPQ is particularly worth it, especially during a gap year - you may as well just do your wider reading around whatever topic the EPQ would be on anyway. Doubt you'll be able to find paralegal work experience as a school leaver, although there may be other opportunities you could look into (volunteering at magistrates courts or something). Although I would emphasise, that is not likely to make or break an application and would be primarily for your own experience and understanding of the legal system and thinking about future options (e.g. barrister vs solicitor route).

Honestly I don't think you'll really miss out anything by going to Birmingham. It's still a very good uni and no doubt a decent law course. If you really like the uni then I'd say probably fine to stick with it, especially if you've paid deposits on accommodation etc.

You can always do an LLM at one of those other unis after your undergrad if you want to :smile:

Ok thank you. I do like the uni, its got a great campus and I don't live far which was part of why I applied. Plus it is generally a very good uni anyway, I guess I just got too much into my head after seeing it ranked 22nd for law on one site.

I do know someone who can give me good work experience in a law firm. I was considering doing an LLM at a better uni tbf, although that seems to be everyone's plan (for law students) so really applying for one seems to be just as competitive for undergrad.

I will contact some unis tomorrow, I don't mind sacrificing a few hundred £ for possibly a much stronger CV in the future, it just feels like a very pretentious thing to do as UoB is already ranked 14th, can hardly get more petty than that.

Really appreciate the advice! Thanks so much!
Original post by JA03
You get in anywhere if you got a good LNAT score. Some universities will have GCSE requirements but it depends if you want to go there. I would suggest compiling a list of all the universities you might want to go to and research if they have GCSE requirements and if they require an LNAT or not (12 universities require the LNAT).

You think I'm good in birmingham? I do like the Uni and it is highly ranked, but it is 22nd for law - so what do you think? Doesn't require LNAT either, which can be good or bad, as law firms may see it as lower entry requirements / less selective, keeping in mind the legal field is still petty about such things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending