The Student Room Group

How can I achieve 8-9 grades at GCSE?

Hi, I'm an average student who works hard and goes to an OK state school. I currently have about a year before I sit my mocks. I'm really looking to get good grades in them and in my real GCSEs (8 or 9s ideally) and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips on how I can do this. All help is greatly appreciated.
For reference, I'm studying the following:
English lit and lang (for lit, I'm studying Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, and a Christmas Carol. Also, I would love some tips on how to understand and write about poetry)
Maths
Further maths(i haven't started this yet, but will next year)
Statistics (studying next year)
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
At the moment, I'm finding science and history most difficult out of them all.
My teachers aren't particularly helpful and are frequently off ill. Is it possible to achieve my desired grades?
Thank you in advance.
Original post by Bumblebee2023
Hi, I'm an average student who works hard and goes to an OK state school. I currently have about a year before I sit my mocks. I'm really looking to get good grades in them and in my real GCSEs (8 or 9s ideally) and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips on how I can do this. All help is greatly appreciated.
English lit and lang (for lit, I'm studying Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, and a Christmas Carol. Also, I would love some tips on how to understand and write about poetry)
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
My teachers aren't particularly helpful and are frequently off ill. Is it possible to achieve my desired grades?
Thank you in advance.
try studying ? anyways heyyyyyyyyyy
yes of course! i reccomend PMT for past papers and cognito for science videos
-obvs not sure what ill get in the real thing but they helped me to do really well in my mocks
Original post by uninterested-ant
yes of course! i reccomend PMT for past papers and cognito for science videos
-obvs not sure what ill get in the real thing but they helped me to do really well in my mocks

Thank you very much for your advice. It's really appreciated
Hey, I do most of your subjects, I can give advice if you're still interested. Let me know which subjects you need help with. I got a grade 9 in most of my subjects in my last mocks, so feel free to ask. These are the GCSE's I do:-

English Language (AQA)

English Literature (AQA)

Mathematics (OCR)

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

History (Edexcel)

French (Edexcel)

Business (AQA)

(edited 3 weeks ago)
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
Thank you in advance.

Could help with History, english lang and lit, maths, science, french, business
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
Thank you in advance.

I got a 9 on my English lit GCSE and my advice is: for Macbeth and A Christmas Carol write a flash card for each of the themes/characters that you may be tested on. Include quotes. Then practice writing essays from the flash cards so you have a basic structure and points for the exam already. For poetry I found it best to learn 2 poems from each theme (eg love, war) really really well by writing flash cards about key points to condense them and then just learn the rest okay as (if you have a similar exam board to mine) you will already have one poem printed. I found the CGP books really helpful for English and got most of my notes from them. I hope that helps!
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
Thank you in advance.

And for science my advice is:
Biology (9) = flash cards with questions and answers for each topic. Mind maps/ brain dumps. Then finally past papers, paying particular attention to mark schemes to see what the examiner wants.

Chemistry (8) = PAST PAPER QUESTIONS!! I found them so so helpful especially as exam questions (especially calculations) are often repeated or just slightly changed for multiple years.

Physics (8) = practice questions and mind maps with diagrams to understand tricky concepts.

Let me know if you have any more questions on other subjects and I’d be happy to answer.
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
Thank you in advance.

hi, i am doing quite a few of your subjects and just thought i’d let you know i found an amazing website for maths and all three sciences called cognito. It has really helped me and you should definitely check it out! 😀 it has some really great videos, past papers and quizzes.
Original post by username6879645
Hey, I do most of your subjects, I can give advice if you're still interested. Let me know which subjects you need help with. I got a grade 9 in most of my subjects in my last mocks, so feel free to ask. These are the GCSE's I do:-

English Language (AQA)

English Literature (AQA)

Mathematics (OCR)

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

History (Edexcel)

French (Edexcel)

Business (AQA)

Thank you for all of your help!
Original post by buzzing-roast
hi, i am doing quite a few of your subjects and just thought i’d let you know i found an amazing website for maths and all three sciences called cognito. It has really helped me and you should definitely check it out! 😀 it has some really great videos, past papers and quizzes.

Thank you, I'll check that out.
Reply 11
Maths
Triple science
History
French
Business Studies
Psychology
Thank you in advance.

Corbettmaths is really good for Further Mathematics. For mathematics do those grade 9 tough papers, even though some of the questions are harder then GCSE, but understanding how to do those will prepare you for the Grade 9 questions you will find at the end of the paper.
Original post by username6879645

English Language (AQA)

English Literature (AQA)

Mathematics (OCR)

Biology (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

History (Edexcel)

French (Edexcel)

Business (AQA)

how did u get a 9 in french edexcel