The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's gonna be 48-45 for an A

That test was actually kinda hard.. it had too much vague questions so that should lower the grade boundaries hopefully.

I find unit 1 wayyyy harder than unit 2

I definitely didnt get 60/60 LOL..
Reply 981
Original post by hola_im_liv
i mentioned low antioxidant levels too, but i think (i cant remember the exact wording of the question) it said ways in which diet increase risk of heart disease, so theyre only looking for factors that increase, not decrease, risk. apart from that i wrote about cholesterol, saturated fat and salt - i hope that's enough for the full five marks?

Yeah, I sort of wrote around the question and basically said 'If you're not getting enough antioxidants, you'll have more cellular damage so the endothelial cells will experience more damage and atheroma is more likely to form'.

But even if they don't accept that, I hope the rest of my answer was strong enough to still get the full five marks! Cholesterol, sat fat and salt sounds about right tbh, you'll be fine.
Reply 982
well its time for f321 now, finally an exam where the questions aren't like 'evaulate the sucess' yata yata yata :s-smilie:
Original post by chrism94
Was the one marker to describe a pathogen or an antigen?

Pathogen
Reply 984
chemistry ftw
Original post by The Assassin
Thanks. Were the last 2 questions a) and b) or 7) and 8)

8a and 8b
Original post by LegendX
when it doesnt specify how many reasons you need to give, can you give as many as you want, even if it includes some wrong ones?

unfortunately in unit 1 they often allow you to get off with putting many reasons even if they only ask for one. however, putting more reasons gives the impression that you are pretty desperate for the marks and dont really know what youre talking about. when you get to unit 4 and 5 they get much more stringent and you can be penalised for writing wrong reasons so its good practice to stick to the instructions in the question.
Reply 987
Also, what did everyone put for the graph with the three lines on it? How did you evaluate the conclusion and the subsequent newspaper article?
Original post by Jakelol
Question 7 was a complete nightmare

And was the question on cyanide about competitive inhibition?

I said it was an inhibitor but I couldn't figure out if it was competitive or not...in hindsight I think it was.
Reply 989
Original post by LegendX
wot? competitive inhibition? i thought it was that it affects respiration in mitchondria, mitochondria are sites of respiration and release energy, active transport requires energy, if no energy, the sodium ions cannot be co transported into the cell. :rolleyes:

Oh thank god
I wrote a similar thing but two people afterwards said cyanide acts as a competitive inhibitor :biggrin:
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
how amino acids are formed from proteins or something. Bonds are broken, by addition of water, so its hydrolysis.

I do hope that's right, I put hydrolysis but I had a few people saying it was condensation. Really got me worried.
Reply 991
Original post by Xiomara
Also, what did everyone put for the graph with the three lines on it? How did you evaluate the conclusion and the subsequent newspaper article?

I said alcohol cause other health problems
And after drinking over 3 units risk of the disease increased
What did everyone say for the question about Investigation C and how it was a good thing that all the participants were aged 40-50? I phrased my answer so badly!
Reply 993
Original post by Jakelol
I said alcohol cause other health problems
And after drinking over 3 units risk of the disease increased

also the article said increases health in general, and the study was only on heart disease.
Original post by Jakelol
Oh thank god
I wrote a similar thing but two people afterwards said cyanide acts as a competitive inhibitor :biggrin:

My teacher said it inhibits a respiration enzyme...:s-smilie:
Reply 995
Original post by MediterraneanX
What did everyone say for the question about Investigation C and how it was a good thing that all the participants were aged 40-50? I phrased my answer so badly!

data more specific, so can be applied to people in the same bracket? i duno if thats right liiike
Reply 996
Original post by sconter
also the article said increases health in general, and the study was only on heart disease.

I mentioned that Together with my first point
Original post by Jakelol
Oh thank god

i think the wording of the question said something like 'using the information in the question ....', it said nothing about competitive inhibition in the information with the question so its not likely they'll be right. when you get to unit 4 (yes i am upper sixth and retaking unit 1 woo) you'll find out how cyanide affects respiration, and it is definitely not any kind of inhibitor!
Original post by sconter
data more specific, so can be applied to people in the same bracket? i duno if thats right liiike

I basically said the same thing, here's to hoping its right!
Original post by Jakelol
Question 7 was a complete nightmare

And was the question on cyanide about competitive inhibition?

I've put cyanide stops respiration ,ATP not released so NA/K pumps can not work/ Active transport can not work properly.I'm not sure tho :cry2:

Latest

Trending

Trending