The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reina
Wow...everyone has gone into so much detail about the cyanide question...

I just said if respiration is prevented, ATP is not produced so active transport can not take place...oops :P

that's what i put, everyone here seems to be over thinking it...
or it might just be me who is thinking too simple about it...
I didn't sit this exam ,but i've been watching this thread for a while ,and oh my god those bastards did it again ,and made a horrible paper filled with werid questions ,i hate AQA exam board so much ,and guess what ?i'm siting bio2 bio4 bio5 this summer ,woow just woow this really made me panic :frown: if i don't do well ,there is no way i'm getting into uni ,so if they put weridly written questions my life is over ! :frown:
Original post by Tullia
I've just done some reading on it and it seems you're correct with what you've said.

As I say though, I didn't sit the exam and so don't know what information was given to work with and so cannot really comment.

My view that cyanide is a non-competitive inhibitor to most enzymes was just something that I seemed to take for granted.

You're always learning though. :smile:

I haven't done the paper either; just came on to see how the paper went and what sort of a paper might come up for Unit 2 next week :colondollar:
Original post by Whatever9999
I didn't sit this exam ,but i've been watching this thread for a while ,and oh my god those bastards did it again ,and made a horrible paper filled with werid questions ,i hate AQA exam board so much ,and guess what ?i'm siting bio2 bio4 bio5 this summer ,woow just woow this really made me panic :frown: if i don't do well ,there is no way i'm getting into uni ,so if they put weridly written questions my life is over ! :frown:

hey, don't worry. the best thing to do now is just improve on exam technique for your other bio modules. I am sitting bio2 this monday :rolleyes:
Reply 1184
Original post by Monster Mnch
You have to use the amount of sodium ions that were used (6) then divide it by the amount of time (30 minutes). (4) is how much is left, it was asking how much units were used per minute.

oh well. 1 mark for working :redface:

2 marks.
So, hold on a minute guys;

Do I get ANYTHING in this paper for saying co-transport, facilitated diffusion and lack of glucose uptake for the cyanide Q?! :confused:
Original post by Scienceisgood

Do I get ANYTHING in this paper for saying co-transport, facilitated diffusion and lack of glucose uptake for the cyanide Q?! :confused:

find out in august. we are only taking an educated guess.
Reply 1187
Original post by Scienceisgood

i dont think so, i thought cyanider stoped the metabolic processes, so could only stop atp production and stop active transport?
Original post by Reina
Wow...everyone has gone into so much detail about the cyanide question...

I just said if respiration is prevented, ATP is not produced so active transport can not take place...oops :P

That's what I put too :colondollar:
Hi everyone, just been reading the posts on this thread and thought id share my opinion.

I did this exam aswell and it was a good paper i guess, but some of the people on this thread are giving answers (referring to the cyanide one) as an inhibitor. There was no info in the stem of the question that said that cyanide was an inhibitor.

Some of you are making the answers seem overly complicated, remember this is biol1 and the exam boardcan't complicate it that much. the answers are straight forward, the deep thought answers you can save for biol4 and 5 :tongue:, btw im an A2 student :biggrin:

Also my teacher, who is an AQA biology examiner, said the answer to the cyanide question was respiration decreased then stopped, so no ATP is produced, so ATP is not available for active transport, so uptake of Na+ ions ceases.

Sorry for sounding abit harsh with some of my comment, but the deep thought answers on this thread just got to me lol
Original post by thegodofgod
I haven't don the paper either; just came on to see how the paper went and what sort of a paper might come up for Unit 2 next week :colondollar:

hello :smile: you're doing unit 2 too? I'm do nervous about it!
Original post by halii_94
hello :smile: you're doing unit 2 too? I'm do nervous about it!

Yeah, got 110 UMS in June 11 (2 UMS / 1 raw mark below an A) :mad:
Original post by umair.khan
Also my teacher, who is an AQA biology examiner, said the answer to the cyanide question was respiration decreased then stopped, so no ATP is produced, so ATP is not available for active transport, so uptake of Na+ ions ceases.

Sorry for sounding abit harsh with some of my comment, but the deep thought answers on this thread just got to me lol

Never mind. :frown:
I know now of 4 marks I have lost, first Q and cyanide Q. =(

I thought I would at least get a mark for saying one of the following;

Co-Transport
Facilitated diffusion
Lack of glucose uptake
Stop Respiration.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1193
Did anyone find the content to be really boring? I mean, i know it's an exam and you're not meant to find it stimulating but normally there's something interesting that makes me chuckle - like the idea of catfish blushing in BIO2's Jan paper, but there was nothing today. Out of all the papers since 09, this was probably the least inspired.
Reply 1194
Mark needed for 80UMS (A grade) for June series for past years:
2009: 40/60
2010: 45/60
2011: 45/60

What do you think... lower or higher this year ?
Original post by ecokid
Did anyone find the content to be really boring? I mean, i know it's an exam and you're not meant to find it stimulating but normally there's something interesting that makes me chuckle - like the idea of catfish blushing in BIO2's Jan paper, but there was nothing today. Out of all the papers since 09, this was probably the least inspired.

I found the questions, to say the least, very broad meaning MANY answers could be given in theory. =l
Original post by Nucleo
Mark needed for 80UMS (A grade) for June series for past years:
2009: 40/60
2010: 45/60
2011: 45/60

What do you think... lower or higher this year ?

I reckon that Cyanide Q will lower the grade boundaries a little.
Reply 1197
Does any1 know when we will get to know the grade boundaries?
Will it be before august results or afterr?
Original post by na_tasha
Does any1 know when we will get to know the grade boundaries?
Will it be before august results or afterr?

Night before results day, more than likely.
Reply 1199
Original post by Heyimdec
Night before results day, more than likely.

Great! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending