The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by rubyfx
What changes could you make to Savage Rumbaugh, Samuel & Bryant, Freud and Dement & Kleitman studies?

Savage Rumbaugh
Using more chimps eg. 10 chimps of each species
Able to generalise
Would require more researchers and space very expensive and maybe impractical
Become more unethical
Increase amount of data collected increase validity
Raise in the same learning environment and same age
Less differences between species

Change to field study doing observations in the wild
Talking to chimps
Improving ecological validity
However may become more bias as only one person would be observing

Samuel & Bryant
Case study 1 or 2 children over 6 months
Introduced to conservation by somebody they are familiar with
o Eg. Uni researcher who goes in once a week as helper
IV 1 question, 2 questions and fixed-array techniques
Improve validity familiar person meaning more comfortable and ecological valid
Tested multiple times more accurate
Small sample hard to generalise
Time consuming
Ethics difficult to get informed consent

Dement & Kleitman
Field experiment
Experiment participants in their own bed
Woken by alarm or telephone and recall dream on the phone
Higher ecological validity
Low levels of control and potential extraneous variables - less valid

And I'm unsure with Freud sorry :/
Reply 161
Original post by eselle
Basically learn the behaviour to each study within each approach and then link this back to the original assumption.

Social

Oh wow, thank you very much! This clears it up a bit. The few sample answers for this question that I've seen before were quite oddly worded; it seemed as if they were kind of vaguely describing the conclusion of the study to start with, then describing the procedure, and then the results?? Very confusing.
Reply 162
Anyone think it's worth learning the psychodynamic perspective? I'm relying on behaviourist to be honest. But I'm scared they'll trick us :frown:
Reply 163
Original post by WizKidd
Anyone think it's worth learning the psychodynamic perspective? I'm relying on behaviourist to be honest. But I'm scared they'll trick us :frown:

I've learned a wee bit of it, like the aim, and very vaguely how the approach explains phobias (Freud) and MPD (Thigpen and Cleckley).

Really, if this comes up I'm hoping that the other choice will be better, heheh...
Reply 164
Original post by Flora-San
I've learned a wee bit of it, like the aim, and very vaguely how the approach explains phobias (Freud) and MPD (Thigpen and Cleckley).

Really, if this comes up I'm hoping that the other choice will be better, heheh...

Meeehh I just cba! I'll just guess my way through if it does come up, scrape a few marks XD
Reply 165
Original post by eselle
Savage Rumbaugh
Using more chimps eg. 10 chimps of each species
Able to generalise
Would require more researchers and space very expensive and maybe impractical
Become more unethical
Increase amount of data collected increase validity
Raise in the same learning environment and same age
Less differences between species

Change to field study doing observations in the wild
Talking to chimps
Improving ecological validity
However may become more bias as only one person would be observing

Samuel & Bryant
Case study 1 or 2 children over 6 months
Introduced to conservation by somebody they are familiar with
o Eg. Uni researcher who goes in once a week as helper
IV 1 question, 2 questions and fixed-array techniques
Improve validity familiar person meaning more comfortable and ecological valid
Tested multiple times more accurate
Small sample hard to generalise
Time consuming
Ethics difficult to get informed consent

Dement & Kleitman
Field experiment
Experiment participants in their own bed
Woken by alarm or telephone and recall dream on the phone
Low levels of control and potential extraneous variables - less valid

And I'm unsure with Freud sorry :/

Omg you star! Thanks so much. Any ideas for Maguire, Milgram and Thigpen and Cleckley? Would really appreciate it!
Reply 166
Original post by rubyfx
Omg you star! Thanks so much. Any ideas for Maguire, Milgram and Thigpen and Cleckley? Would really appreciate it!

Maguire:
Longitudinal study (10 years)
Training taxi drivers
Comparing women and male taxi drivers
o Better measure to see if environmental factors effect brain structure
Will help to show the change of grey matter in the hippocampus
Maguire’s study couldn’t tell if the larger volume of grey matter in hippocampus posterior area was already there

Milgram:
Field experiment in Shopping centre
Use of a fake authority figure (eg. Security guard) on general public
Demand public to do behaviours (eg. Jump on spot, drop litter etc)
Compare results with use of normally dressed person using same behaviours
High ecological validity more real to everyday situation
Can be easily tested over other shopping centres Reliable
Results will be more representative of wider population
Natural setting, meaning people’s behaviours will be more true - valid

Thigpen and Cleckley:
Use independent expert to carry out interviews, psychometric and projective tests
they would also observe the natural behaviours with no interaction with patient)
Inter-rater reliability
Collects qualitative data and reduces researcher bias
However, Patient may feel uncomfortable with sharing information the observer. There may also be social desirability bias

More participants, different nationalities (eg. 10 people who have multiple personality disorder symptoms would be used. 5 Americans and 5 Europeans)
A range of participants from a range of different nationalities may show that multiple personality disorder is universal of cultural specificdisorder. Able to generalise more.
Rare disorder so potential participants may be limited and would become time consuming
Reply 167
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful! :smile:

According to my predictions Maguire will definitely come up for Section B since it's never come up.
So if it does, what questions do you reckon will be linked to it?

I think Behaviourist will come in Section C since it's only come up once before and everything else has come up twice. Social and Individual Differences have high chances too.
What sort of question could come up linking to Reicher and Haslam since the other two times social has come, they've asked to explain helping behaviour (Piliavin) and obedience (Milgram)?
Will someone please help me with the developmental approach for section C! I don't have anything on it and I really need to know the assumption / similarity + difference / and strengths and weaknesses :frown:
Third time taking this exam too -.-
Original post by lucyyalicee
Will someone please help me with the developmental approach for section C! I don't have anything on it and I really need to know the assumption / similarity + difference / and strengths and weaknesses :frown:
Third time taking this exam too -.-

Assumption: That we all go through developmental stages and behaviour is learned from birth; nurture is more important than nature in shaping behaviour

Similarity: A similarity between Bandura's study and Samuel and Bryant's study is that they both involved children as the participants. Bandura had children aged between 3 and 5, while Samuel and Bryant had children aged between 5 and 8.

Difference: A difference between Freud's study and Bandura's study is that Freud used the case study method, which Bandura didn't. Freud only studied one child, known as Hans, while Bandura had a much larger group of 72 children (I couldn't remember the sample size, so a large group would probably do on its own I would have thought). Bandura can generalize his findings much more than Freud.

Hope that helped a little, but you might want to add to the similarity a bit to ensure the marks. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
Assumption: That we all go through developmental stages and behaviour is learned from birth; nurture is more important than nature in shaping behaviour

Similarity: A similarity between Bandura's study and Samuel and Bryant's study is that they both involved children as the participants. Bandura had children aged between 3 and 5, while Samuel and Bryant had children aged between 5 and 8.

Difference: A difference between Freud's study and Bandura's study is that Freud used the case study method, which Bandura didn't. Freud only studied one child, known as Hans, while Bandura had a much larger group of 72 children (I couldn't remember the sample size, so a large group would probably do on its own I would have thought). Bandura can generalize his findings much more than Freud.

Hope that helped a little, but you might want to add to the similarity a bit to ensure the marks. :smile:

Ah thankyou!
Reply 171
Original post by eselle
Maguire:
Longitudinal study (10 years)
Training taxi drivers
Comparing women and male taxi drivers
o Better measure to see if environmental factors effect brain structure
Will help to show the change of grey matter in the hippocampus
Maguire’s study couldn’t tell if the larger volume of grey matter in hippocampus posterior area was already there

Milgram:
Field experiment in Shopping centre
Use of a fake authority figure (eg. Security guard) on general public
Demand public to do behaviours (eg. Jump on spot, drop litter etc)
Compare results with use of normally dressed person using same behaviours
High ecological validity more real to everyday situation
Can be easily tested over other shopping centres Reliable
Results will be more representative of wider population
Natural setting, meaning people’s behaviours will be more true - valid

Thigpen and Cleckley:
Use independent expert to carry out interviews, psychometric and projective tests
they would also observe the natural behaviours with no interaction with patient)
Inter-rater reliability
Collects qualitative data and reduces researcher bias
However, Patient may feel uncomfortable with sharing information the observer. There may also be social desirability bias

More participants, different nationalities (eg. 10 people who have multiple personality disorder symptoms would be used. 5 Americans and 5 Europeans)
A range of participants from a range of different nationalities may show that multiple personality disorder is universal of cultural specificdisorder. Able to generalise more.
Rare disorder so potential participants may be limited and would become time consuming

Thank you so much, have u got these changes for all the other studies as well? I would HIGHLY appreciate it, i really need this exam in the bag, the changes is the only thing that im worried about, thnkx! if u have any questions please do ask, but I have to tell u that my connection is a bit wary so i might take so time to reply, thankx!
Reply 172
here are my notes on the Behaviourist perspective, could anyone help me out on making them more detailed and point out anything that I'm missing out/wrong. I feel like the strengths and weaknesses lack, any help with this too?

Studies
Bandura
Milgram
Piliavin
Assumptions
We are blank slates from birth and that our behaviour is learnt from the environment through classical conditioning operant conditioning and social learning theory
Behaviours
Obedience Environment shapes our behaviour and not that bad people willing to shock people, they were adapting to the environment and situation of the repressive environment (eg. Man in white coat)
Aggression in Children empathises on observational learning (don’t have to reward or punish or ignore child behaviour for it to change). Witnessing behaviour is enough in itself. Social learning theory environment and role models
Helping/not helping the cost-reward theory has an effect on whether a person will help or not
Strengths
Scientific lab experiments used meaning high control with high internal validity
Usefulness - shows aggression is influenced by environment
Practical applications –eg behaviour modification in schools
Weaknesses
Reductionist (Ignore other approaches) doesn’t give a biological or cognitive insight
Lab experiments lack ecological validity
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eselle
here are my notes on the Behaviourist perspective, could anyone help me out on making them more detailed and point out anything that I'm missing out/wrong. I feel like the strengths and weaknesses lack, any help with this too?

Studies
Bandura
Milgram
Piliavin
Assumptions
We are blank slates from birth and that our behaviour is learnt from the environment through classical conditioning operant conditioning and social learning theory
Behaviours
Obedience Environment shapes our behaviour and not those they are bad people willing to shock people, they were adapting to the environment and situation of the repressive environment (eg. Man in white coat)
Aggression in Children empathises on observational learning (don’t have to reward or punish or ignore child behaviour for it to change). Witnessing behaviour is enough in itself. Social learning theory environment and role models
Helping/not helping the cost-reward theory has an effect on whether a person will help or not
Strengths
Scientific lab experiments used meaning high control with high internal validity
Weaknesses
Reductionist (Ignore other approaches) doesn’t give a biological or cognitive insight

Add that they only support nurture for a weakness

And say they can predict and promote behaviour for a strength
Reply 174
Original post by eselle

Studies
Bandura
Milgram
Piliavin
Assumptions
Behaviours
Obedience Environment shapes our behaviour and not that bad people willing to shock people, they were adapting to the environment and situation of the repressive environment (eg. Man in white coat)
Strengths
Weaknesses

The studies ive got r griffits, bandura and a bit of savage
Reply 175
Original post by aisha302
guys how does the individual diffrences approach explain rosehans study? im doing some major cramming tonight ffs..

sorry for the late reply, but the individual differences assumption states that we need to look at individuals singley rather than as a whole human common behaviour.
With that said, in Rosenhan's study, all the pseudo-patients were judged as being insane as a whole due to the environment of the psychiatric ward (the staff were already inclined on thinking that every possible patient is mental) therefore judged the pseudo's are mental because of everyone else, hence the individual difference approach suggests that if these pseudo patients were looked at and focussed on, on their own then they could have been possibly detected
Reply 176
Original post by aisha302
guys how does the individual diffrences approach explain rosehans study? im doing some major cramming tonight ffs..

sorry for the late reply, but the individual differences assumption states that we need to look at individuals singley rather than as a whole human common behaviour.
With that said, in Rosenhan's study, all the pseudo-patients were judged as being insane as a whole due to the environment of the psychiatric ward (the staff were already inclined on thinking that every possible patient is mental) therefore judged the pseudo's are mental because of everyone else, hence the individual difference approach suggests that if these pseudo patients were looked at and focussed on, on their own then they could have been possibly detected
Reply 177
Original post by Skilled
Thank you so much, have u got these changes for all the other studies as well? I would HIGHLY appreciate it, i really need this exam in the bag, the changes is the only thing that im worried about, thnkx! if u have any questions please do ask, but I have to tell u that my connection is a bit wary so i might take so time to reply, thankx!

Lofus and Palmer
Field experiment
o IV and DV manipulate in a natural setting
Recreate a murder scene using actors and bring in false information to see how it effects the memory of the eye witnesses
Strengths
o High ecological validity
o Increase validity - Has an emotion impact since participants think it’s a real event
o Still able to control IV
Weaknesses
o Breaks ethical guidelines emotion impact can lead to psychological harm

Baron-Cohen
Conduct role play involving real life people. (eg. 5 minute role play where they display 10 different emotions throughout. 2 actors female and male. 4 options on a likert scare and circle the seen emotion. Lab condition)
more representative to real life and able to generalise.
However, Potential for demand characteristics, images are more standardised than actors as they don’t change. Actors may change between trials to trial.

Selection of 20 people should be gathered with 10 males and 10 females
More easy to generalise and no gender imbalance
However, Tourette’s and Autism people may be hard to find as conditions are rare and may be at different levels of their condition.

Bandura
Using a larger sample using a bigger range of ages
Show film that features aggressive behaviour - more subjective
Environment their own home or nursery
Increase validity more true to their everyday life
Decrease validity films don’t always reflect real life
Children will become more comfortable with the environment and therefore results will be more true

Reicher and Haslam
Quasi experiment Using real guards, real prisoners in real prison
High ecological validity becomes very realistic
Decrease reliability Hard to replicate since getting same prisoners would be hard
More accurate since it will show how tyranny is created in real life situations
Unethical no right to withdraw from study

Pilliavin
Carry out similar study in a non-confined space location
In a Shopping centre or park
Findings would be more ecologically valid
More generalised to real life behaviour in most situations
More valid to diffusion of responsibility people can escape situation
o Could show that there is reduce of helping behaviour because participants would be able to reduce their levels of physiological arousal by moving away
Further lack of control over extraneous variables could have undesirable effects on results

Sperry
I'm kinda unsure with this, but I'm hoping it won't come up in section B and if it does I won't pick it anyway :/
Comparing spilt brain people who had operation to epileptic people who haven’t had the operation

Rosenhan
Doctors and nurses would be aware of the nature of the study and give their consent before being visited
Doesn’t break the ethical issue of lack of informed consent, also brings in the right to withdraw
But, they may display demand characteristics and social desirability bias eg. Spending longer with patients, lowers validity

Operationalized questionnaire would be used, there would also be at least 2 patients admitted per hospital ensures inter-rater reliability. Use of CCTV camera.
Checks the consistency of the results making it more reliable. Coding system in place
However, Lowers validity if demand characteristics and social desirability bias are displayed. Not acting naturally.

Griffiths

Longitudinal study (a month), using machine everyday with £5 and their objective measures of skill are tested. Could show that RG base earnings or winnings over the long term and accept from time to time they will have loses
See true nature of differences between RGs and NRGs; average out their successes over time.
Very cost and time consuming. Encourages daily gambling, which is seen as unethical. Potential for attrition.

Participants are required to use their own money
Higher ecological validity since it will be a truer reflection of gambling
Effect ethics as it provided stronger emotion ‘hits’ since they use their own money, therefore more emotional attachment and doesn’t protect participants. It may also affect recruiting participants.
Reply 178
only learnt 6 studies and havnt even looked at section c revision.. exams tomarrow
IM BEGGING ...any advice? please reply ASAP...or looks like its gonna be an allnighter :frown:
Reply 179
Original post by eselle
Lofus and Palmer
Field experiment
o IV and DV manipulate in a natural setting
Recreate a murder scene using actors and bring in false information to see how it effects the memory of the eye witnesses
Strengths
o High ecological validity
o Increase validity - Has an emotion impact since participants think it’s a real event
o Still able to control IV
Weaknesses
o Breaks ethical guidelines emotion impact can lead to psychological harm

Baron-Cohen
Conduct role play involving real life people. (eg. 5 minute role play where they display 10 different emotions throughout. 2 actors female and male. 4 options on a likert scare and circle the seen emotion. Lab condition)
more representative to real life and able to generalise.
However, Potential for demand characteristics, images are more standardised than actors as they don’t change. Actors may change between trials to trial.

Selection of 20 people should be gathered with 10 males and 10 females
More easy to generalise and no gender imbalance
However, Tourette’s and Autism people may be hard to find as conditions are rare and may be at different levels of their condition.

Bandura
Using a larger sample using a bigger range of ages
Show film that features aggressive behaviour - more subjective
Environment their own home or nursery
Increase validity more true to their everyday life
Decrease validity films don’t always reflect real life
Children will become more comfortable with the environment and therefore results will be more true

Reicher and Haslam
Quasi experiment Using real guards, real prisoners in real prison
High ecological validity becomes very realistic
Decrease reliability Hard to replicate since getting same prisoners would be hard
More accurate since it will show how tyranny is created in real life situations
Unethical no right to withdraw from study

Pilliavin
Carry out similar study in a non-confined space location
In a Shopping centre or park
Findings would be more ecologically valid
More generalised to real life behaviour in most situations
More valid to diffusion of responsibility people can escape situation
o Could show that there is reduce of helping behaviour because participants would be able to reduce their levels of physiological arousal by moving away
Further lack of control over extraneous variables could have undesirable effects on results

Sperry
I'm kinda unsure with this, but I'm hoping it won't come up in section B and if it does I won't pick it anyway :/
Comparing spilt brain people who had operation to epileptic people who haven’t had the operation

Rosenhan
Doctors and nurses would be aware of the nature of the study and give their consent before being visited
Doesn’t break the ethical issue of lack of informed consent, also brings in the right to withdraw
But, they may display demand characteristics and social desirability bias eg. Spending longer with patients, lowers validity

Operationalized questionnaire would be used, there would also be at least 2 patients admitted per hospital ensures inter-rater reliability. Use of CCTV camera.
Checks the consistency of the results making it more reliable. Coding system in place
However, Lowers validity if demand characteristics and social desirability bias are displayed. Not acting naturally.

Griffiths

Longitudinal study (a month), using machine everyday with £5 and their objective measures of skill are tested. Could show that RG base earnings or winnings over the long term and accept from time to time they will have loses
See true nature of differences between RGs and NRGs; average out their successes over time.
Very cost and time consuming. Encourages daily gambling, which is seen as unethical. Potential for attrition.

Participants are required to use their own money
Higher ecological validity since it will be a truer reflection of gambling
Effect ethics as it provided stronger emotion ‘hits’ since they use their own money, therefore more emotional attachment and doesn’t protect participants. It may also affect recruiting participants.

That my friend is what I call genius, thank you sooooo much! good luck for your exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending