Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good websites for Medicine/Healthcare news?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend a good website that provides information/news about healthcare and medicine?

I have been looking at NetDoctor and WebMD, however I'm just trying to broaden my range. Thought you guys might be able to help me out?

Thanks in advance!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BMJ
    Student BMJ
    BBC health
    Guardian health bit

Is this in general or are you thinking of interviews?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also found nhs news "behind the headlines" to be very helpful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yum-yum)
    I agree. I will often look at this website after reading something from another source to get the bare facts on it.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/Pages/NewsIndex.aspx
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Can anyone recommend a good website that provides information/news about healthcare and medicine?

I have been looking at NetDoctor and WebMD, however I'm just trying to broaden my range. Thought you guys might be able to help me out?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm assuming that you want to apply for medicine, so apart from what has been mentioned, I used the GMC website which has interactive case studies where you choose how to deal with patients and it gives you feedback on your choices and links to relative legislation.

The site is: http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/case_studies.asp
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused dot com)
    I'm assuming that you want to apply for medicine, so apart from what has been mentioned, I used the GMC website which has interactive case studies where you choose how to deal with patients and it gives you feedback on your choices and links to relative legislation.

This was really helpful, I did all of these before my interviews, much more interesting than just reading stuff
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <XOXO>)
    BMJ
    Student BMJ
    BBC health
    Guardian health bit

Is this in general or are you thinking of interviews?
    Both really, I like staying in the loop about things I'm interested in but if it benefits my interview skills then it is a bonus!
    Thanks

(Original post by yum-yum)
    Thanks a lot

(Original post by Steerforth)
    I agree. I will often look at this website after reading something from another source to get the bare facts on it.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/Pages/NewsIndex.aspx
    Thanks for the link

(Original post by confused dot com)

Ahh that is brilliant, I like how it's interactive, thanks!
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    BBC Health is good - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    BBC Health is good - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health.
    I'm used to the BBC website interface so I will be using this a lot!
    Thanks Beska
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    - BBC Health
    - Telegraph/Guardian Health (and also The Times, but they've firewalled their site so either read it in hard copy or pay for subscription)
    - NHS Behind the Headlines -- Really worth it. I would first read a story on the above, and then try to find its parallel here to put everything into context.
    - Universities also have 'News' pages where they big up their own research advancements and findings. These are a good summary of what they've done and it's written in an accessible way for the public.

There is NO NEED for you to read any journals such The Lancet, BMJ, Student BMJ, JAMA, NEJM... They are not aimed at the general public and are pitched as scientific documents. Rarely do even pre-clinical medical students keep up with the journals, research methods etc. as half the time it takes ages to decipher all the implications of the statistics into "lay" English.

Reading a bit of Ben Goldacre's column on the Guardian will also do you no harm. Just be careful though when you are reading stories from newspapers, check if they are an article trying to convey (hopefully) accurate information or whether its a columnist putting their own personal skew on a story.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    - BBC Health
    - Telegraph/Guardian Health (and also The Times, but they've firewalled their site so either read it in hard copy or pay for subscription)
    - NHS Behind the Headlines -- Really worth it. I would first read a story on the above, and then try to find its parallel here to put everything into context.
    - Universities also have 'News' pages where they big up their own research advancements and findings. These are a good summary of what they've done and it's written in an accessible way for the public.

There is NO NEED for you to read any journals such The Lancet, BMJ, Student BMJ, JAMA, NEJM... They are not aimed at the general public and are pitched as scientific documents. Rarely do even pre-clinical medical students keep up with the journals, research methods etc. as half the time it takes ages to decipher all the implications of the statistics into "lay" English.

Reading a bit of Ben Goldacre's column on the Guardian will also do you no harm. Just be careful though when you are reading stories from newspapers, check if they are an article trying to convey (hopefully) accurate information or whether its a columnist putting their own personal skew on a story.
    Thanks man, I will do, I've been using BBC Health a lot lately, it's pretty good for just the basic bits

Reading up on Universities news pages is a good idea and definitely something that will benefit me when it comes to Interviews, etc. I owe you some rep
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Thanks man, I will do, I've been using BBC Health a lot lately, it's pretty good for just the basic bits

Reading up on Universities news pages is a good idea and definitely something that will benefit me when it comes to Interviews, etc. I owe you some rep
    haha glad to help and rep is always warmly welcome

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 23, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.