The Student Room Group

What is the special study unit at Exeter medical school?

Can any students or anyone explain what this is??
Original post by anonymousemouse1

According to the BMBS Medicine page on the Exeter web site (here):

"Special study units
Special study units involve working with staff from the NHS, the University and the community in a wide range of disciplines to study areas of particular interest to you. With more than 200 options, the units provide a challenging and stimulating way to develop your critical thinking, scientific and analytical skills. During the first two years, each SSU takes place over a three-week block. Subject matters include opportunities to consider how the study of the humanities offers insights into the lived experience of people experiencing lives very different from our own, as well as a wide variety of biomedical science and healthcare placements.

In your third and fourth years, you’ll continue to study in a clinical environment and learn how multi-professional teams and management deliver and improve healthcare. In addition to the wide variety of clinical options available, you will also have the opportunity to learn more about the research process, through a longer attachment to one of our research teams, and to study an area of medical humanities of interest to you.

You’ll be able to develop your teaching and learning skills through another special study unit, ‘Doctor as Teacher’. The overall aim of this unit is to enable you to acquire the professional attitudes, knowledge and skills of a competent teacher and to prepare for the transition from medical student to doctor."
Original post by DataVenia

"Special study units
Special study units involve working with staff from the NHS, the University and the community in a wide range of disciplines to study areas of particular interest to you. With more than 200 options, the units provide a challenging and stimulating way to develop your critical thinking, scientific and analytical skills. During the first two years, each SSU takes place over a three-week block. Subject matters include opportunities to consider how the study of the humanities offers insights into the lived experience of people experiencing lives very different from our own, as well as a wide variety of biomedical science and healthcare placements.

In your third and fourth years, you’ll continue to study in a clinical environment and learn how multi-professional teams and management deliver and improve healthcare. In addition to the wide variety of clinical options available, you will also have the opportunity to learn more about the research process, through a longer attachment to one of our research teams, and to study an area of medical humanities of interest to you.

You’ll be able to develop your teaching and learning skills through another special study unit, ‘Doctor as Teacher’. The overall aim of this unit is to enable you to acquire the professional attitudes, knowledge and skills of a competent teacher and to prepare for the transition from medical student to doctor."

Thanksss!
Original post by DataVenia

"Special study units

But I’ve already seen this on their website and still didn’t fully understand what it was
But I’ve already seen this on their website and still didn’t fully understand what it was

It seems fairly clear to me. It's an opportunity to learn from practicing members of the medical community, who work within a disciple which is if interest to you. (These are not academics; they are medical professionals.)

Do you have any specific questions?

Hi there @Anonymousmouse1,

If you are still looking for more information on this, I would advise getting in touch with one of our current students studying medicine via our online messaging system, linked here. They should be able to help with any specific questions you have!

Feel free to get in touch with any further questions!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Hi All

Just an extra note you can watch Dr Chris Campbell outline our Medicine programme in this video Youtube - University of Exeter Medicine. There is reference to Special Study Units at around 7 minutes.

Chris
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Reply 7
Original post by UniofExeter Rep
Hi All

Just an extra note you can watch Dr Chris Campbell outline our Medicine programme in this video Youtube - University of Exeter Medicine. There is reference to Special Study Units at around 7 minutes.

Chris
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

I've watched the video and it was really helpful thank you! However, I want to ask if exeter is a spiral curriculum as the video mentioned it is but I cannot find it stated in the website itself except from the alumni page. I'm wondering maybe the curriculum changed from a spiral curriculum and is different now as the video was made two years ago?
Original post by /-/-/-/-
I've watched the video and it was really helpful thank you! However, I want to ask if exeter is a spiral curriculum as the video mentioned it is but I cannot find it stated in the website itself except from the alumni page. I'm wondering maybe the curriculum changed from a spiral curriculum and is different now as the video was made two years ago?

I have checked with Colleagues in the faculty and they have confirmed that the Medicine programme will still operate on this basis. Topics and activities covered in year one will be returned to in each following year and each time in greater depth.
As an example - Reproduction.
Yr1. Reproductive anatomy | Gynaecology examinations
Yr2. Ethical issues around fertility | Placement in sexual health clinic
Yr3. Labour ward placement | Smear and swab taking
Yr4. Fertility clinic placement | Neonatal unit placement
Yr5. 6 weeks obs & gynae placement | Assisting with caesarean sections.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending