The Student Room Group

Higher Revision: how much are you doing?

basically it's almost time for exams!
I have exactly four weeks until my first exam (Higher Chemistry, eeeek!) and I've had the horrible feeling all holidays that I haven't been doing enough revision :frown:
I've been doing about 4-5 hours of revision a day, with four days off, but it's only been about half of my subjects haha, because I hate the other two..
how much has everyone else been doing?

Scroll to see replies

In the easter holidays I was doing 4-6 hours of revision, I had about 4 days out of completely no studying but the last 5 days I was literally cooked up in my room doing nothing but! :O
Usually during the week I try to do 2.5 hours a day with something like 4 during the weekend (might go up I don't know).
Reply 2
Original post by ArionXenos01
In the easter holidays I was doing 4-6 hours of revision, I had about 4 days out of completely no studying but the last 5 days I was literally cooked up in my room doing nothing but! :O
Usually during the week I try to do 2.5 hours a day with something like 4 during the weekend (might go up I don't know).

I took about four days off and only did two hours today aha, been going crazy cooped up in my house :frown: I go back to school tomorrow and have all sorts of NABs and mini prelims to get done so that won't be fun at alllll.
what subjects are you studying? :smile:
Oh yeah I've got the same. I'm doing Maths, English, Music, Physics and History. Just had my physics nab today, thought it was great, got my 2nd maths prelim on wednesday and I"m not looking forward to it, it's going to be a pain, I've pretty much lost it with maths, I mean I'm aiming for a B but nothing more really, but As in everything else hopefully! What are you studying?
Reply 4
Oh yeah I've got the same. I'm doing Maths, English, Music, Physics and History. Just had my physics nab today, thought it was great, got my 2nd maths prelim on wednesday and I"m not looking forward to it, it's going to be a pain, I've pretty much lost it with maths, I mean I'm aiming for a B but nothing more really, but As in everything else hopefully! What are you studying?

I'm doing 4/5 of the same subjects as you next year (Biology instead of Physics), and I'm wondering how everything is? Like how much is the workload in each subject? What is the most enjoyable subject? etc...
Reply 5

I'm doing pretty much the same as you too! Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and French though :smile:
I start tomorrow, I have Physics and Chemistry NABS thursday/friday, then my maths nab and physics/chemistry/maths 2nd prelims the next week, then it's study leave! I despise English more than any subject I have ever studied, I can't bring myself to do anything more than look over quotes for my essays and even that bores me to tears.. I'm just hoping the grade boundary for an A is ~64% this year too :rolleyes:
I'm predicted all A's, and I did decent in my prelims (ABBCC but my C's were both 59% haha), just trying to work my hardest so I don't have to resit anything.. it's a pain though for physics, I'm doing the new course and we have no resources!
Original post by mrsnicket
I'm doing 4/5 of the same subjects as you next year (Biology instead of Physics), and I'm wondering how everything is? Like how much is the workload in each subject? What is the most enjoyable subject? etc...

Well, Maths is ok, but you've got to keep on top of it, unlucky for me I had a bad teacher who couldn't teach (he's been off for a month so we've got the head of the department). The third unit is easy, and you've got to watch out for logarithms and differentiation!
History's fine, only difference is more analysis really and a 2 hour long extended essay.
English is also fine, just keep on track of your quotes and close readings, make a chart of all the types of close reading questions and like History, more analysis will get you the higher marks.
Music I find easy because it's the only thing I do in my spare time :L. You need 2 compositions (over a minute each I think), be sure to hand them in as early as possible and just let the teachers change them as much as they want. Performance is fine and the listening paper's got a bugger of a question at the end where you're given 2 extracts and say what's in each and what's common to each. What instrument do you play?
But that's it really, just a little bit more work than standard grade, but don't get scared from everyone saying these subjects just up the game so much. Just do more studying and from late March / early April, you'll have to really water down on going out etc, you need lots of time to study! :/
Reply 7

I can give you a few bits of advice if you want, and you really should listen to it (I got given the same advice, didn't listen to it at the start because I thought it would be fine..)
Maths: get loads and loads of past papers, and I mean loads! however don't try to sit them until you've covered about 2/3 of the course, it's pointless doing individual questions. Also, don't get cocky if you get full marks in the NABs, the real papers are much much much harder :frown:
English: constantly revisit and reread your texts, and make lots of notes on them. Also write the occasional essay under timed conditions over the year, it makes it easier to write and plan faster in the exam. Also, close reading isn't as complicated as they make it seem, the majority is common sense ngl.
Chemistry: get the Success guide, and memorise it. Then you've pretty much memorised the entire course really easily :smile:
Reply 8
Well, Maths is ok, but you've got to keep on top of it, unlucky for me I had a bad teacher who couldn't teach (he's been off for a month so we've got the head of the department). The third unit is easy, and you've got to watch out for logarithms and differentiation!
History's fine, only difference is more analysis really and a 2 hour long extended essay.
English is also fine, just keep on track of your quotes and close readings, make a chart of all the types of close reading questions and like History, more analysis will get you the higher marks.
Music I find easy because it's the only thing I do in my spare time :L. You need 2 compositions (over a minute each I think), be sure to hand them in as early as possible and just let the teachers change them as much as they want. Performance is fine and the listening paper's got a bugger of a question at the end where you're given 2 extracts and say what's in each and what's common to each. What instrument do you play?
But that's it really, just a little bit more work than standard grade, but don't get scared from everyone saying these subjects just up the game so much. Just do more studying and from late March / early April, you'll have to really water down on going out etc, you need lots of time to study! :/

Maths is the one I'm most worried about :/ When I get a job I may think about getting a tutor if I feel as though I'm not coping.
History is one of my favourite subjects this year, so I'm glad it's going alright!
English I need to do well in for what I want to do, and I'll take your advice for it, thanks :smile:
Music is the same for me - more of a hobby than a subject (well performing anyway...). I play the piano, and do I need a 2nd instrument too? If so, mine shall be drums -_- yay...

Yeah I'm torn between being excited about the challenge or petrified from the workload, and everyone has been saying how it's a MASSIVE step from SG to H. But thanks for all your help, and good luck with exams! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by rawragee
I can give you a few bits of advice if you want, and you really should listen to it (I got given the same advice, didn't listen to it at the start because I thought it would be fine..)
Maths: get loads and loads of past papers, and I mean loads! however don't try to sit them until you've covered about 2/3 of the course, it's pointless doing individual questions. Also, don't get cocky if you get full marks in the NABs, the real papers are much much much harder :frown:
English: constantly revisit and reread your texts, and make lots of notes on them. Also write the occasional essay under timed conditions over the year, it makes it easier to write and plan faster in the exam. Also, close reading isn't as complicated as they make it seem, the majority is common sense ngl.
Chemistry: get the Success guide, and memorise it. Then you've pretty much memorised the entire course really easily :smile:

Thanks, as I said before the subject I'm least confident in is Maths :frown: but I shall make sure I have ****loads of Past papers in your honour :biggrin:
Close reading = fml
Essays I'm actually looking forward to, but seriously, analysing a piece of text for CR is the most monotonous thing anyone has to do!!! But I shall struggle through, nonetheless!
I'm not doing Chemistry next year (or this year as a matter of fact), but I shall pass on your advice to my peers who are doing it. :smile: Thanks, and good luck to you also in your exams!! :cool:
I've not done much yet :P although still a month away and I'm quite confident in myself :smile:

I hate English aswell! So Boring... It's the only subject I din't get a credit grade in last year :frown:
Higher Chemistry is a pain...If you don't listen. Just make sure you give your teacher your full attention and it should be fine.
Higher Maths...Isn't too bad. Except Circles. Circles just suck

SG to Higher isn't really that much of a jump. I think it's exaggerated. Although I only do 4 so I can't really comment on doing 5. Although I'm doing 3 next year with 2 Advanced Highers so maybe it'll jump.
Reply 11
I done some over the holidays but it doesn't feel like it's helped much :s-smilie:

I'm doing English, Modern Studies, French, Physics and Maths.

I quite like English I just can't memorise the quotes. The same with modern studies, way too much to memorise facts and figures wise.
French used to be my worst but I got a good speaking grade so hopefully all is well.
Physics and Maths are my downfall. I always feel like I've done well and get the grades back at low C's. I need at least a B in one of them :frown:
Reply 12
Thanks, as I said before the subject I'm least confident in is Maths :frown: but I shall make sure I have ****loads of Past papers in your honour :biggrin:
Close reading = fml
Essays I'm actually looking forward to, but seriously, analysing a piece of text for CR is the most monotonous thing anyone has to do!!! But I shall struggle through, nonetheless!
I'm not doing Chemistry next year (or this year as a matter of fact), but I shall pass on your advice to my peers who are doing it. :smile: Thanks, and good luck to you also in your exams!! :cool:

not going to lie, I could probably just send you all my old papers when I'm done with them as I have 1992-2011 plus two books of past papers haha :rolleyes:
every teacher makes close reading seem really complicated, and to be honest, the more they tried to "teach" me it, the worse I've got as I keep getting confused. The essays are actually really fun, it's much better than writing at SG as you get to think about the ideas of the writer and the poem more than just step by step analysing :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by TheFOMaster
I've not done much yet :P although still a month away and I'm quite confident in myself :smile:

I hate English aswell! So Boring... It's the only subject I din't get a credit grade in last year :frown:
Higher Chemistry is a pain...If you don't listen. Just make sure you give your teacher your full attention and it should be fine.
Higher Maths...Isn't too bad. Except Circles. Circles just suck

SG to Higher isn't really that much of a jump. I think it's exaggerated. Although I only do 4 so I can't really comment on doing 5. Although I'm doing 3 next year with 2 Advanced Highers so maybe it'll jump.

Sitting in my English class just makes me miserable, even if I fail this year I'm not resitting it next year, I just couldn't. I'm hoping for a really good A boundary like the last few years :wink:
I got the Success guide for Chemistry - it's amazing! I literally just sit and memorise the book and it's going pretty well, I have a really short attention span so I find it hard to read textbooks as there's so much information.
I have major basic problems with factorising and multiplying (like really basic. like times tables multiplying) so I always make horrible mistakes :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by rawragee
not going to lie, I could probably just send you all my old papers when I'm done with them as I have 1992-2011 plus two books of past papers haha :rolleyes:
every teacher makes close reading seem really complicated, and to be honest, the more they tried to "teach" me it, the worse I've got as I keep getting confused. The essays are actually really fun, it's much better than writing at SG as you get to think about the ideas of the writer and the poem more than just step by step analysing :smile:

That would be amazing of you :colondollar: I would love you forever and always!
Wait until you're done with them and then we'll see, cos my sis did H Maths so I might have all that stuff, but thank you so much for even offering. :smile:

*Faith in mankind renewed*

Haha anyway yeah the essays do look fun, I did SG English last year and have basically bull****ted this year in English, but I did do an essay discussing whether Creationism should be taught alongside Evolution in the science classroom, and I got to rip the crap out of Christianity, and, I'm not gonna lie, it was thrilling!!!! :P trololol so essays should be fun :biggrin:
Reply 15
English - I've been doing some close readings, and adding/memorizing my quotes. I have learned around 50 for Mockingbird, memorized the poems: Assisi and My Last Duchess.
Maths - Not much since Maths just comes to me and I got an A at the prelim. :P
History - omg. been at this for hours and hours, still learning the Britain topic: Liberals, Labour and Democracy. I need to start Germany and Russia soon too.
Art - Folios are done and I need to finish my model essays for art history then spend a few hours memorizing them so I can paste it onto my exam paper and relate it to the question. :smile:
Business - I made around 200 flash cards and know them inside out and spent hours learning them over the holiday, business is a mix of knowledge and common sense. :/ if you learn the stuff you can get an A.

Around 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks = 45 hours this month. Hopefully I go into turbo mode when on Study Leave!

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Original post by UMARTIAN
English - I've been doing some close readings, and adding/memorizing my quotes. I have learned around 50 for Mockingbird, memorized the poems: Assisi and My Last Duchess.

I had 54 quotes in my head for the exam, stretching one play, one novel and one poem. Aren't you going a bit overboard with the memorisation? :tongue:
Reply 17
A lot of people asked me that but it isnt taking up much of my time.
From a young age I was taught how to read arabic and learning to read the whole 30th Chapter by heart. i guess this made my memory better from a young age and I find it easy to learn things, I learnt My Last Duchess after 5 or 6 reads.

I feel I need to know my Novel and poems really well since I dont like my play, at-all. A Streetcar Named Desire is so boring and I find it difficult to maintain interest or have a desire to write an essay about it whereas I love writing essays about Mockingbird. Which novel and poem are you doing?
Reply 18
We had done all our texts in English (cone gatherers, hamlet, revelation and the godfather (film)) but during the Easter holidays the head of English chucked my last duchess at us.
It's actually quite good and way better than revelation, but I only really memorise parts of it because it's so long. I'm not really sure of how to analyse it though :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by UMARTIAN
Maths - Not much since Maths just comes to me and I got an A at the prelim. :P
History - omg. been at this for hours and hours, still learning the Britain topic: Liberals, Labour and Democracy. I need to start Germany and Russia soon too.
Art - Folios are done and I need to finish my model essays for art history then spend a few hours memorizing them so I can paste it onto my exam paper and relate it to the question. :smile:
Business - I made around 200 flash cards and know them inside out and spent hours learning them over the holiday, business is a mix of knowledge and common sense. :/ if you learn the stuff you can get an A.

Around 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for the past 3 weeks = 45 hours this month. Hopefully I go into turbo mode when on Study Leave!

Good luck everyone! :smile:

jeeez I wish I could learn that many quotes! majorly jealous of your maths skills too, I did no revision for my prelim and scraped a C :frown:
ooh I did Business Management last year! I love the fact that it's so common sense-y mixed in with facts, gotta love the describe questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending