The Student Room Group

How to get help for RSI? Doctors and uni are fobbing me off.

I understand that it's probably not technically a disability because I've probably done it to myself but now that it's done there's little chance I'm going to get rid of it.

Anyway, I've been to the doctor who diagnosed me with RSI and basically told me there's nothing they can do and to take breaks etc. I've been doing that and it's not be helping, just delaying the pain really.

The pain is especially bad at night and first thing in the morning. Presently, after 20 minutes of typing (on a essay-based film course, and work in an office) the pain gets as bad as it does at night, which didn't happen when I got diagnosed; I could go for much longer.

Currently I'm wearing a brace when typing and use ibruprofen gel as and when needed but I'm worried because I want to go into 3D modelling which would involve much more computer use.

I've not had much help from the doctor and I'm worried about going back as I may just get fobbed off again (although the pain is coming quicker now) and I've looked at the university and they won't acknowledge it unless I've had it for 12 months, so I'm worried I won't get any help from them.

Currently it's in my right hand, but when I type my left hand pinky is starting to go numb so I'm worried it'll eventually effect my other arm.

Any advice? I hope this is in the right forum.

Thanks.
Original post by avéry
I understand that it's probably not technically a disability because I've probably done it to myself

No idea about the main issue, but self-infliction doesn't mean it's not a disability.
Reply 2
If your doctor will write a letter stating you have RSI and identify how it affects you, then you should have grounds to apply for DSA. Throw away and wrist rests and ensure your keyboard is flat- don't use the legs on it. Keep to the edge of the desk so your wrists don't touch the desk and see if this improves matters.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
No idea about the main issue, but self-infliction doesn't mean it's not a disability.

Thank you; some people seem to think that way unfortunately. :smile:

Original post by NJones
If your doctor will write a letter stating you have RSI and identify how it affects you, then you should have grounds to apply for DSA. Throw away and wrist rests and ensure your keyboard is flat- don't use the legs on it. Keep to the edge of the desk so your wrists don't touch the desk and see if this improves matters.

Thanks. I'll start with the letter. :smile:
Reply 4
I can imagine you would need to bring this to the attention of your school's office so they can arrange breaks for you during exams so i'd definitely go to another doctor if I were you.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose

Yeah. Because something is self-inflicted, it doesn't mean it isn't a disability. A disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially restricts normal day-to-day activities and is long-term/chronic (expected to last, or has lasted, at least 12 months). No where are self-inflicted conditions exempt from this definition. It can be something your born with, a natural condition you develop, or "self-inflicted". You get in very subjective and dangerous territory if you start thinking of "self-inflicted" conditions and exempt those from any definition of disability. It's like drawing a distinction between deserving and undeserving disabled, almost....

I can't really suggest much beyond what's been mentioned as I have no experience of RSI. I can see where the university are coming from. As mentioned, the condition needs to last or expect to last, at least 12 months. But if you can get a GP's letter, which states your difficulties then that's a good start. Particularly if he's willing to state that the condition is unlikely to improve in the next 12 months.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lewk
I can imagine you would need to bring this to the attention of your school's office so they can arrange breaks for you during exams so i'd definitely go to another doctor if I were you.

Thanks. I guess I could try going to another doctor, but I've only just registered at the one I'm at now. :P Although my previous doctor back home is very good with chronic pain so I might try and see him over the summer if I can.

Original post by River85
Yeah. Because something is self-inflicted, it doesn't mean it isn't a disability. A disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially restricts normal day-to-day activities and is long-term/chronic (expected to last, or has lasted, at least 12 months). No where are self-inflicted conditions exempt from this definition. It can be something your born with, a natural condition you develop, or "self-inflicted". You get in very subjective and dangerous territory if you start thinking of "self-inflicted" conditions and exempt those from any definition of disability. It's like drawing a distinction between deserving and undeserving disabled, almost....

I can't really suggest much beyond what's been mentioned as I have no experience of RSI. I can see where the university are coming from. As mentioned, the condition needs to last or expect to last, at least 12 months. But if you can get a GP's letter, which states your difficulties then that's a good start. Particularly if he's willing to state that the condition is unlikely to improve in the next 12 months.

Yeah, I understand. I certainly agree with you but I've had other people tell me that I'm not entitled to any help because I chose to use a computer and go on a film course. :redface:
Original post by avéry
I understand that it's probably not technically a disability because I've probably done it to myself but now that it's done there's little chance I'm going to get rid of it.

Anyway, I've been to the doctor who diagnosed me with RSI and basically told me there's nothing they can do and to take breaks etc. I've been doing that and it's not be helping, just delaying the pain really.

The pain is especially bad at night and first thing in the morning. Presently, after 20 minutes of typing (on a essay-based film course, and work in an office) the pain gets as bad as it does at night, which didn't happen when I got diagnosed; I could go for much longer.

Currently I'm wearing a brace when typing and use ibruprofen gel as and when needed but I'm worried because I want to go into 3D modelling which would involve much more computer use.

I've not had much help from the doctor and I'm worried about going back as I may just get fobbed off again (although the pain is coming quicker now) and I've looked at the university and they won't acknowledge it unless I've had it for 12 months, so I'm worried I won't get any help from them.

Currently it's in my right hand, but when I type my left hand pinky is starting to go numb so I'm worried it'll eventually effect my other arm.

Any advice? I hope this is in the right forum.

Thanks.

Hey, I have RSI and am in pretty much constant pain nowadays, it can get quite depressing to be honest, but you need to just work through it and look away round it by dealing with it. I use ibuprofen gel occasionally too and a strap band thing. I was reffered to a consultant about mine and he didn't really do a lot if i go back to my GP and through the refereall process one day they might consider surgery though possibly. It could effect your other arm I get it mainly in my right but occasionally my left now too.

EDIT: Oh I also did physio for ages really didn't help that much it was temporary relief I still do the exercises and still am in loads of pain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Try again with the GP. Perhaps he can refer you for some physio advise.
Probably not what you want to hear but if it doesn't resolve over the summer, you might want to consider deferring your next yr of uni for 12months in order to properly allow rest and recovery (I know a musician who had to do this). Though deferring will probably raise the problem of higher fees.
Good luck.
Reply 9
Original post by restoration
Hey, I have RSI and am in pretty much constant pain nowadays, it can get quite depressing to be honest, but you need to just work through it and look away round it by dealing with it. I use ibuprofen gel occasionally too and a strap band thing. I was reffered to a consultant about mine and he didn't really do a lot if i go back to my GP and through the refereall process one day they might consider surgery though possibly. It could effect your other arm I get it mainly in my right but occasionally my left now too.

EDIT: Oh I also did physio for ages really didn't help that much it was temporary relief I still do the exercises and still am in loads of pain.

Tell me about it. I find it really easy to lose motivation these days to do uni work because I know I'm just going to cause myself more pain. I might see if the doctor will send me to a consultant as well. I've heard about the surgery option too, but don't know that much about it. Think it'd be a while before I even consider it though.

I've noticed it starting to affect my left arm as well. I'll start to lose feeling in my pinky finger when I type.

Original post by 1mum
Try again with the GP. Perhaps he can refer you for some physio advise.
Probably not what you want to hear but if it doesn't resolve over the summer, you might want to consider deferring your next yr of uni for 12months in order to properly allow rest and recovery (I know a musician who had to do this). Though deferring will probably raise the problem of higher fees.
Good luck.

Yeah, although I don't really want to defer that might be an option depending on how the summer goes. Only problem is I'll be doing my dissertation over the summer so I would be cutting deferring quite late.
(edited 12 years ago)
Even if you're not entitled to DSA, you may be entitled to extra time in exams? Not sure how it works at uni if you have a temporary disability though. (Your RSI may not be temporary; just making a point though)
Reply 11
Just thought I'd update this thread.

After much convincing (and a £40 "fee"), my doctor wrote me a letter stating that I had arm pain that may be related to working. I also went for an x-ray which was clear and given a referral to the fracture clinic at the hospital. I've sent the application and letter to DSA and am now waiting to hear back.

Since then I have been to my referral appointment at the fracture clinic where the physiotherapist determined immediately that it wasn't RSI but some complicated phrase that basically means my nerves in my arms are being stretched and causing the pain.

It was such a relief and I'm so glad to have found such a helpful doctor/consultant who was actually really sympathetic and interested in my well-being. I've been referred for physiotherapy and told to take paracetamol regularly for the pain (cheaper to buy it myself than for him to prescribe it) and had a follow up appointment arranged to go over some blood work (to check a few other symptoms that were nothing to do with the pain) and discuss how the physiotherapy is going.

My disability support has been put in place for university and I'm just waiting for my ATOS assessment from DSA so I can make this diagnosis clear to them.

Is it worth trying to get a letter from my physiotherapist or will the assessment be enough?

Thanks.
I have trapped nerves in both hands and elbows and have had three surgeries so far. I qualified for DSA because of it and the help has been fantastic, from a special stand up mouse and split keyboard to wrist rests and funky rubber things that go on my pens to make the grip easier.

so keep pushing for help, it is out there. goodl uck
Reply 13
Original post by Pennysparkles
I have trapped nerves in both hands and elbows and have had three surgeries so far. I qualified for DSA because of it and the help has been fantastic, from a special stand up mouse and split keyboard to wrist rests and funky rubber things that go on my pens to make the grip easier.

so keep pushing for help, it is out there. goodl uck

Thank you. I've had a response from DSA to say they've rejected my application (£40 well spent!) but I can now get a letter from my physiotherapist which they should accept; it's just waiting for it now...

Sorry to hear about your nerves by the way. Hope those surgeries have made it a little easier for you.
Original post by avéry
Thank you. I've had a response from DSA to say they've rejected my application (£40 well spent!) but I can now get a letter from my physiotherapist which they should accept; it's just waiting for it now...

Sorry to hear about your nerves by the way. Hope those surgeries have made it a little easier for you.

thanks, the RSI in my hands has been accepted by DWP as an industrial injury (20 years typing..) and the surgery has helped, but not in the elbows, that is NASTy pain so I do sympathize with you. keep pushing, you deserve the help!
I know that you posted this a while back, but I guess advice at any stage when you have RSI is probably welcome. My doctor thought I might have RSI, but he didn't do much about it until he agreed to refer me to a physio. The physio immediately noticed that I had bad posture, a curved spine and an unstable scapula (part of my shoulder that was unstable). This all puts more strain on my arm when I write and makes it more painful. Doing exercises working more on my shoulder than my arm has helped a bit. It might be something to look into. Try paying attention to your posture when you're on your computer or if you think there could be a deeper problem, trying talking to your doctor. You might have already looked into it, but I think this was something that was seriously looked over by my GP and most RSI sites.

Also, my GP gave me some strong painkillers called diclofenac sodium (I think that's what they're called) to take when I'm in exams and have to write for long periods of time. They might help if you have to work for very long periods of time.
Reply 16
Original post by Anglerfish1
I know that you posted this a while back, but I guess advice at any stage when you have RSI is probably welcome. My doctor thought I might have RSI, but he didn't do much about it until he agreed to refer me to a physio. The physio immediately noticed that I had bad posture, a curved spine and an unstable scapula (part of my shoulder that was unstable). This all puts more strain on my arm when I write and makes it more painful. Doing exercises working more on my shoulder than my arm has helped a bit. It might be something to look into. Try paying attention to your posture when you're on your computer or if you think there could be a deeper problem, trying talking to your doctor. You might have already looked into it, but I think this was something that was seriously looked over by my GP and most RSI sites.

Also, my GP gave me some strong painkillers called diclofenac sodium (I think that's what they're called) to take when I'm in exams and have to write for long periods of time. They might help if you have to work for very long periods of time.

Yeah, I found out that it wasn't RSI (one of the posts above). I went to physio and they told me that my posture was if anything too good. I'm on regular physio at the moment and SFE have finally agreed to give me some help.
SFE might give you stuff (a chair and various support stuff) to help with your posture. I've received a chair, book stand and something to lean on when writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending