The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

I'm A Current Midwifery Student - Ask Me Anything (AMA)!

Welcome!

My name is Jade, I am 21 years old and a 3rd year student midwife studying at Coventry University!:smile:
I enjoy going to the gym, eating at new restaurants and rollerskating!
Feel free to ask me anything - why I chose Coventry University, my experience as a student midwife, any tips for interviews, what to expect as a student midwife etc!

Please allow 24 - 48hours response time
I am looking forward to hearing from you all :smile:..
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

OMG YOU LIKE ROLLERSKATING I SAW THE MIDWIFE BIT and i was like YES but ROLLERSKATING thats even better!!!!!! How are you??!? Sorry i should probably ask a question. Hows being a student midwife? Is it cool?? <3
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Welcome!

My name is Jade, I am 21 years old and a 3rd year student midwife studying at Coventry University!:smile:
I enjoy going to the gym, eating at fancy restaurants and rollerskating!
Feel free to ask me anything - why I chose Coventry University, my experience as a student midwife, any tips for interviews, what to expect as a student midwife etc!

hii im starting the course this year,, how do you find the long placement hours as its not soemthing im used to, do you get used to them?
Original post by Loosee667829
OMG YOU LIKE ROLLERSKATING I SAW THE MIDWIFE BIT and i was like YES but ROLLERSKATING thats even better!!!!!! How are you??!? Sorry i should probably ask a question. Hows being a student midwife? Is it cool?? <3

Hey @Loosee667829

Haha, you're funny! You know what - I would class myself as intermediate I can't do all the cool tricks yet but I'm going to try to focus on that this summer! Do you rollerskate?

Being a student midwife is definitely one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life but I wouldn't change it, I feel like I've accomplished and learnt so much, not just about midwifery, but about myself too and self-awareness is key. I have met so many different people with so many different personalities and that's quite interesting to me. It's tough but also so so rewarding and I am so proud of myself!

Jade <3 x
Original post by Chantal_
hii im starting the course this year,, how do you find the long placement hours as its not soemthing im used to, do you get used to them?

Hey @Chantal_

How are you? Ngl, I was SO scared in first year before I started, and it was tough for the first 2-3 weeks but you will honestly be surprised at how easily you get used to the long hours, it becomes like second nature. As long as you sleep well after the shifts, and before - but that's hard because sometimes you are nervous, which is normal. I am completely used to them and unphased, but it's because we are quite busy so time flies! When I had a part time job before uni the longest shifts I used to do were 8 hours, so it was a jump but trust me you'll get used to it :smile: I feel more tired after night shifts, but you also get used to those too!

I find that prepping my dinners and lunches day before the shift helps, so that I don't have to spend time doing it in the morning or when I come back!

- Jade xx
Hey @Chantal_

How are you? Ngl, I was SO scared in first year before I started, and it was tough for the first 2-3 weeks but you will honestly be surprised at how easily you get used to the long hours, it becomes like second nature. As long as you sleep well after the shifts, and before - but that's hard because sometimes you are nervous, which is normal. I am completely used to them and unphased, but it's because we are quite busy so time flies! When I had a part time job before uni the longest shifts I used to do were 8 hours, so it was a jump but trust me you'll get used to it :smile: I feel more tired after night shifts, but you also get used to those too!

I find that prepping my dinners and lunches day before the shift helps, so that I don't have to spend time doing it in the morning or when I come back!

- Jade xx

im great and thank you for the advice! I currently work 6 hours at my part time job and i find them soo long so i hope i can adjust for 12+ lolll, Im planning on doing midwifery this year as i have all my offers and i really look forward to the career but im finding it hard cos there was another course non healthcare related i was deciding between, did you know you always wanted to do midwifery or did it take time for you to decide?

I agree with what the person said in post #5 .

The main thing is that you get use to working about 12.5 hour's per shift but you'll probably feel tired at the end of the day until you get use to doing these.
Getting plenty of sleep prior to starting in the morning is important.

When you do a Nightshift you will have to try and sleep during the day - what I use to do was get up early in the morning for a few hours and then at a certain time went back to bed until about 5pm ( obviously this will depend on how far you have to travel to your placement) and then I left house about 6.15pm and walk the 10-15 minutes to the hospital as wasn't far from it's. Straight to bed the following morning slept until mid afternoon.

You'll have to give your body time to adjust to those long hours and especially Nightshift if you have never worked nights or early starts before. Probably two to three weekends you'll be fine after that and whatever you then do your following placement you'll be more use to doing things for it.

I held my full-time job that I was doing prior to starting my midwife degree but I went part-time during it.
It's juggling everything so that you are managing with thing.

If possible prepare yourself some meals in advance for your shifts so that's something you don't have to do last minute.

Suggest you perhaps try and rearrange your current part time job Hours/ day's when you finally start placement as most employers will be flexible with things for you to go in on day's of from nursing for your shifts at them.

Band 6 charge midwife.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey @Loosee667829

Haha, you're funny! You know what - I would class myself as intermediate I can't do all the cool tricks yet but I'm going to try to focus on that this summer! Do you rollerskate?

Being a student midwife is definitely one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life but I wouldn't change it, I feel like I've accomplished and learnt so much, not just about midwifery, but about myself too and self-awareness is key. I have met so many different people with so many different personalities and that's quite interesting to me. It's tough but also so so rewarding and I am so proud of myself!

Jade <3 x

Hii! Good luck with the tricks, practice makes perfect! I do rollerblade on inlines, and I cannot wait for summer!

That is so cool! Im looking to go into something like medicine or physio but currently from my job teaching younger children how to rollerskate (honestly the best job ever rn) I would love to go into being a paediatrician (or the physio equivalent)! It would be hard but working with children is I think something that comes naturally to me! I can probably imagine the same with midwifery!
Just remembered something! Have you read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay? If not, its an amazing book about Adam talking about his experience being a doctor on labour wards. Its quite sad but so so funny at the same time! My absolutely favourite book, and would absolutely recommend!
Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!
Lucy <3
im great and thank you for the advice! I currently work 6 hours at my part time job and i find them soo long so i hope i can adjust for 12+ lolll, Im planning on doing midwifery this year as i have all my offers and i really look forward to the career but im finding it hard cos there was another course non healthcare related i was deciding between, did you know you always wanted to do midwifery or did it take time for you to decide?

Hey @Chantal_

It's nice to hear from you again :smile:
You're welcome, that's what I'm here for! Yes I understand, that was the same with my part time retail job, but midwifery is so different from your typical job and I actually think that is why the time goes faster because you're busy and trying to sort out lots of different things! Do you mind letting me know what other course it is that you're considering?

For me, I have always wanted to be a midwife for as long as I can remember and honestly to be able to stay on this midwifery course, you have to be extremely passionate and 100% want to do it because it is really hard. There are so many ups and down, and you have to be quite committed - it's so different from your average uni course! You know what, I'd advise you to make a pros and cons list for midwifery course and the other course and see which one you would prefer / is better suited to you!

Jade x
Original post by Tracey_W
I agree with what the person said in post #5 .

The main thing is that you get use to working about 12.5 hour's per shift but you'll probably feel tired at the end of the day until you get use to doing these.
Getting plenty of sleep prior to starting in the morning is important.

When you do a Nightshift you will have to try and sleep during the day - what I use to do was get up early in the morning for a few hours and then at a certain time went back to bed until about 5pm ( obviously this will depend on how far you have to travel to your placement) and then I left house about 6.15pm and walk the 10-15 minutes to the hospital as wasn't far from it's. Straight to bed the following morning slept until mid afternoon.

You'll have to give your body time to adjust to those long hours and especially Nightshift if you have never worked nights or early starts before. Probably two to three weekends you'll be fine after that and whatever you then do your following placement you'll be more use to doing things for it.

I held my full-time job that I was doing prior to starting my midwife degree but I went part-time during it.
It's juggling everything so that you are managing with thing.

If possible prepare yourself some meals in advance for your shifts so that's something you don't have to do last minute.

Suggest you perhaps try and rearrange your current part time job Hours/ day's when you finally start placement as most employers will be flexible with things for you to go in on day's of from nursing for your shifts at them.

Band 6 charge midwife.

Hello @Tracey_W

Thankyou for all the advice that you've given @Chantal_.
I completely agree with everything you've said and I do exactly the same to prepare for my nightshifts also! One thing, in first year I had a part time retail job and I got overwhelmed quite quickly so I left - but I would always recommend try to stay at a part time job providing they can work around your uni / placement schedule, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Containers will be your bestfriend for meal prepping your dinners for after day shifts or before night shifts! It really does save you a lot of time. Even packing the bag you're going to work with all your important bits and bobs (pens, paperwork, fob watch) beforehand helps! @Chantal_

Thanks Tracey :smile:

Jade x
When you finish a yoghurt, do you like lick the lid? @the bear
Original post by Loosee667829
Hii! Good luck with the tricks, practice makes perfect! I do rollerblade on inlines, and I cannot wait for summer!

That is so cool! Im looking to go into something like medicine or physio but currently from my job teaching younger children how to rollerskate (honestly the best job ever rn) I would love to go into being a paediatrician (or the physio equivalent)! It would be hard but working with children is I think something that comes naturally to me! I can probably imagine the same with midwifery!
Just remembered something! Have you read This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay? If not, its an amazing book about Adam talking about his experience being a doctor on labour wards. Its quite sad but so so funny at the same time! My absolutely favourite book, and would absolutely recommend!
Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!
Lucy <3

Hey

Thankyou! Everytime I rollerskate, I will remember this conversation lol

Wow that's so amazing that you get to teach children how to rollerskate must be so fun! Yesss, you can do anything you put your mind to, I believe in you! When you have a calling for something or the intuition that, this is what you'll be good at - always chase that feeling! I haven't read the book, but I've watched it on BBC iPlayer and I really resonated with everything in that series it was a tough watch, but necessary and so informative - nevertheless, thankyou for the recommendation!

It has been so nice talking to you! Best of luck Lucy :smile:

Jade x
Welcome!

I enjoy going to the gym, eating at new restaurants and rollerskating!

Please allow 24 - 48hours response time

hii I have an short question did you done "health and social care" as one of your GCSE options? if so did you found it hard or easy or even both! Which parts did you found difficult and why?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mangoundercover
hii I have an short question did you done "health and social care" as one of your GCESE options? if so did you found it hard or easy or even both! Which parts did you found difficult and why?

Hello @mangoundercover

I hope you're well! Don't worry all questions are welcome here; long and short! I have never done Health & Social Care; I have 9 GCSEs A-C and I did A Level Biology, Psychology and Chemistry :smile:
I don't know anyone who did H&SC at GCSE level, but I know a few who did it as a BTEC and they found it tough, but manageable - also remember you can do anything you put your mind to! :smile:

Try and post this question in the general GCSE forum maybe someone else can help better?

Jade x
Hello @mangoundercover

I hope you're well! Don't worry all questions are welcome here; long and short! I have never done Health & Social Care; I have 9 GCSEs A-C and I did A Level Biology, Psychology and Chemistry :smile:
I don't know anyone who did H&SC at GCSE level, but I know a few who did it as a BTEC and they found it tough, but manageable - also remember you can do anything you put your mind to! :smile:

Try and post this question in the general GCSE forum maybe someone else can help better?

Jade x

Thank you :smile:
Original post by mangoundercover
Thank you :smile:

You're welcome! :smile:

- Jade x
Hello @Tracey_W

Thankyou for all the advice that you've given @Chantal_.
I completely agree with everything you've said and I do exactly the same to prepare for my nightshifts also! One thing, in first year I had a part time retail job and I got overwhelmed quite quickly so I left - but I would always recommend try to stay at a part time job providing they can work around your uni / placement schedule, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Containers will be your bestfriend for meal prepping your dinners for after day shifts or before night shifts! It really does save you a lot of time. Even packing the bag you're going to work with all your important bits and bobs (pens, paperwork, fob watch) beforehand helps! @Chantal_

Thanks Tracey :smile:

Jade x

Hello Jade

Thanks For your kind words you said 😊😊😊

Yes I would recommend as well to stay in there current job unless it's impossible to work around there degree coursework but try and see how it goes first and foremost before having to perhaps rearrange there working days with there current employer. Sorry to hear that you left because of being overwhelmed but I think everybody deals with things differently from one another.

I worked in retail all my life and sometimes it was 7 days a week but luckily I was able to switch to part-time with them with some flexibility in working my days off from placement if I wasn't able to work my normal weekends shifts, I'm still working in my retail job when days off.

Midwifery isn't a easy degree to do as you'll know as can be very challenging at times but worthwhile.

My motto is that if you are capable of working a few days a week part-time as well as doing your degree in midwifery then go ahead with it but if they find it tough going due to the part-time job then obviously put the midwifery degree first and foremost ahead of anything else. But I'm sure that they will be fine with providing they properly work things out.

Pens ( lots and lots) and paper and A4 notepads for writing things down at university studies and remember to have a pocket notebook for when you are on placements for note taking throughout your shift when you get a chance to write it down and then transfer it to either a A4 notebook or laptop for future reference as everything you learn over the next three years will come in handy when you having to revise for assignment and essays and any exams. Fog watch ( silicon one's are fine and very hygienic) decent comfortable shoes or trainers - I find Sketchers are very good especially when on your feet all day ( depends on the hospital trust policy what you can wear) .

I used to make extra food and put into containers and freeze for the placements ( take out the night before to let it defrost overnight) and I'm still doing it now as very handy and good on the pocket.

Tracey 😀😊😊
Did you ever have to do an MMI? I am a grade 12 student and I have an interview that I am preparing for and any tips you have would be very helpful!
Does anyone have any tips for a midwifery MMI?
Original post by rhyenneb
Did you ever have to do an MMI? I am a grade 12 student and I have an interview that I am preparing for and any tips you have would be very helpful!

Hello @rhyenneb [br] [br] I hope you’re well. What is an MMI, I’ve never heard of that - please can you say the full name? :smile:

Interview tips:
- Be friendly & confident :smile:
- Research NHS 6Cs
- Research current affairs in midwifery (Ockendon report, East Kent report etc)
- Have an answer for why you want to be a midwife
- Briefly read NMC ‘The Code’ and understand the roles & responsibilities of midwifery!

You don’t need to fully remember the reports I’ve suggested to read or the Code but a small, general understanding would be great!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:
Jade x

Quick Reply

Latest