The Student Room Group

Is my UCAT score of 2470 good enough?

I recently did my UCAT, and achieved a score of 2470 (+SJT Band 1). I was wondering if this score would be good enough for applying to unis or would enable me to get in? I was looking online and it said that between 2400-2500 is an average. And BTW I'm not able to do the BMAT and I have a limited number of unis I cam apply to as I'm Scottish and will only be applying to Scottish unis. Any help or input would be appreciated <3
Reply 1
It's definitely possible. I applied to St. Andrews and got an offer with the same UCAT score but a Band 2 in SJT. However, I would suggest looking into widening participation schemes and universities that offer them as I'm pretty sure that is the only reason I was able to land the offer. From what I remember, if you meet the widening participation requirements, St. Andrews increases your UCAT score by 10% or something like that. But low UCAT scores aren't a definite "no" from unis. It's just a matter of doing your research and applying strategically. I hope this was helpful :smile:
Original post by lucygraham.27
I recently did my UCAT, and achieved a score of 2470 (+SJT Band 1). I was wondering if this score would be good enough for applying to unis or would enable me to get in? I was looking online and it said that between 2400-2500 is an average. And BTW I'm not able to do the BMAT and I have a limited number of unis I cam apply to as I'm Scottish and will only be applying to Scottish unis. Any help or input would be appreciated <3
Reply 2
Original post by dauwood
It's definitely possible. I applied to St. Andrews and got an offer with the same UCAT score but a Band 2 in SJT. However, I would suggest looking into widening participation schemes and universities that offer them as I'm pretty sure that is the only reason I was able to land the offer. From what I remember, if you meet the widening participation requirements, St. Andrews increases your UCAT score by 10% or something like that. But low UCAT scores aren't a definite "no" from unis. It's just a matter of doing your research and applying strategically. I hope this was helpful :smile:

Hi, thank you so much. I think I am able to get a 10% increase on my UCAT score in St Andrews (and I think Edinburgh too) because of my postcode. I have been wanting to try do a widening participation programme, like Reach. However on the uni websites it says that it's for s4-s6, but I'm already in s6 and haven't been engaged in it before. I know my school is affiliated with it, but they never mentioned it to us in s4 or even s5, and whenever me or my friends ask about it they kind of just fob us off. Also, do you know if doing top up would be relevant to me if im applying for medicine, or is only Reach relevant. Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 3
Hi again, unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the Scottish schooling system because I was applying from an English school. My best advice would be to contact the universities directly and ask their medical admissions teams all the questions that you have. They're always really helpful and extremely reliable too. If your school has affiliations with the programmes already then that is a good sign regardless of whether you missed deadlines so asking the university admissions teams never hurts. The way I remember St. Andrews widening participation to work it was an automatic process so there weren't any extra forms or information that I submitted to qualify for it which was nice. Edinburgh I didn't apply to so unfortunately I don't have much advice on that. All in all, the med admissions teams' mobile numbers are always available on the uni websites so give them a call and ask away. Good luck!!!
Hi, thank you so much. I think I am able to get a 10% increase on my UCAT score in St Andrews (and I think Edinburgh too) because of my postcode. I have been wanting to try do a widening participation programme, like Reach. However on the uni websites it says that it's for s4-s6, but I'm already in s6 and haven't been engaged in it before. I know my school is affiliated with it, but they never mentioned it to us in s4 or even s5, and whenever me or my friends ask about it they kind of just fob us off. Also, do you know if doing top up would be relevant to me if im applying for medicine, or is only Reach relevant. Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dauwood
Hi again, unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the Scottish schooling system because I was applying from an English school. My best advice would be to contact the universities directly and ask their medical admissions teams all the questions that you have. They're always really helpful and extremely reliable too. If your school has affiliations with the programmes already then that is a good sign regardless of whether you missed deadlines so asking the university admissions teams never hurts. The way I remember St. Andrews widening participation to work it was an automatic process so there weren't any extra forms or information that I submitted to qualify for it which was nice. Edinburgh I didn't apply to so unfortunately I don't have much advice on that. All in all, the med admissions teams' mobile numbers are always available on the uni websites so give them a call and ask away. Good luck!!!

Hey, so I just wanted to clarify if you did the widening participation schemes or you were jus naturally eligible for the 10% UCAT boost, because I got 2470 b1 and I am naturally available for the 10% boost due to my postcode. Sorry I am just trying to better understand my chances as I applied here (st andrews as an english student), but today I've been reading all of people saying you need really high ucat scores to get in. Thanks in advance.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by zion.a21
Hey, so I just wanted to clarify if you did the widening participation schemes or you were jus naturally eligible for the 10% UCAT boost, because I got 2470 b1 and I am naturally available for the 10% boost due to my postcode. Sorry I am just trying to better understand my chances as I applied here (st andrews as an english student), but today I've been reading all of people saying you need really high ucat scores to get in. Thanks in advance.

If you qualify for their contextual admission, then you will get the 10% added to your UCAT score, but the required score for RUK has been >2800 for the last few years
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
If you qualify for their contextual admission, then you will get the 10% added to your UCAT score, but the required score for RUK has been >2800 for the last few years

Okay right. With the 10% my score totals to 2717 so I am gonna have to pray that a miracle happens then. Thanks for the help tho.
Reply 7
Original post by zion.a21

Hi, I am naturally eligible for the 10% boost because of my postcode too. I'm hoping that boost and the fact I got SJT Band will increase my chances a bit as I've seen so many people who've gotten really high scores. I'm quite worried about getting in honestly and I'd be so disappointed if my ucat was what let me down, but I've just been trying to tell myself at least my score was good enough to apply with. Hope all goes well with your applications :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, I am naturally eligible for the 10% boost because of my postcode too. I'm hoping that boost and the fact I got SJT Band will increase my chances a bit as I've seen so many people who've gotten really high scores. I'm quite worried about getting in honestly and I'd be so disappointed if my ucat was what let me down, but I've just been trying to tell myself at least my score was good enough to apply with. Hope all goes well with your applications :smile:

We are literally in the exact same boat lmao. Don't worry I am sure everything will turn out fine! Let's just get interview prepping and see what happens. Good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending