The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I thought he'd beat him but not by that margin. A 147 in the 1st round and a comfortable win against Higgins, is it to early to suggest that Hendry may take the title this year?
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
12-4 Hendry, now how many saw that one coming.

12-4 against Higgins, the defender of the title? respect! He need only a frame to be in the quarter final, is that right? But Higgins is well known to come back from.
Original post by Gary Barlow
I thought he'd beat him but not by that margin. A 147 in the 1st round and a comfortable win against Higgins, is it to early to suggest that Hendry may take the title this year?

Despite the 147, his snooker generally hasn't been that great in actual fact (at least from what I've watched). Much better than in the last couple of years, but the 12-4 against Higgins is more down to John's poorness than Hendry's merit - he's still missing some sitters. Don't think you can ever rule him out, but I still think Robertson is a sound prediction.

His last victory was in 1999. That is really a long time. I don't think so that he wins the world championship.
Hendry could get the confidence and hit form. Davis did once at the uk champs, beating o'sullivan in an epic battle. An excellent last hurrah. Theyre kinda similar.

O'sullivans still easily capable. I'd quite like to see williams win. I used to think he was a miserable sod but his new wind up merchant image amuses me. Judd is the bookies favorite. I dislike robertson, but he's in with a good shot.

Edit: Alex Higgins was long before my time and Ive only seen odd frames until recently. Ive been watching vids on youtube and bloody hell. Ive never seen anyone put that much spin on the cueball. And some of the shots he took on when the match rested on them. The guy was amazing.

[video="youtube;xUH_JrxQBPs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUH_JrxQBPs&feature=related[/video]

That blue..

People witter on about how the standard has go so much higher? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by green.tea
Looked like a push to me.

Was it clear cut and obvious though? Definitely not in my opinion.
Original post by walterwhite123

To me it certainly didn't look clear and if it was a push then Cao certainly was trying to minimise it. If it was a foul then Allen can only have been told about this after the event. And making claims that Paul Collier (the referee) was ignoring an owning up by Cao is very wrong.

Had Allen won then this match then we would not have heard a thing about it.
Reply 47
Ronnie v Mark predictions?
Reply 48
Ronnie hopefully, but failing that hope its just a good match :biggrin:
Ronnie v Mark predictions?

What a silly question! Ronnie wins! why? he is my favourite! :thumbsup:
Reply 50
I like mark and ronnie equally so not sure who i want to win. I think ronnie will take it though.

Check out Stephen Hendry in his denim shirt, very suave.
Original post by walterwhite123

Perhaps not. To be fair to Allen nobody bashes anyone for saying that the likes of Argentina might not be up to British standards of sportsmanship in football. He could have perhaps been more subtle in making his point. His previous China bashing seems to me worse than what he said there. Ive noticed before that the Chinese can be very sensitive about that sort of thing. They need to lighten up.
I like mark and ronnie equally so not sure who i want to win. I think ronnie will take it though.

Check out Stephen Hendry in his denim shirt, very suave.

I want Ronnie to win but wouldn't mind Mark, he's been playing amazing too.. As for Hendry -he's so cute, in like a sweet uncle sort of way
As a Hendry fan I loved Higgins playing that badly, it was like he was trying to lose or something...

Spoiler

Reply 54
Anyone place a bet on any match or winning the championship?

You would of got great odds of Hendry beating Higgins 13-4 at the start of the match. I am not sure what odds you would of got, but it would be great as Higgins was favourite.
Original post by GuyUK

You would of got great odds of Hendry beating Higgins 13-4 at the start of the match. I am not sure what odds you would of got, but it would be great as Higgins was favourite.

Trump to win.
Reply 56
I'm going to back Robertson tomorrow, not sure what odds i'll get mind.
Original post by GuyUK

At 5-3 to Hendry on Friday afternoon it was 500/1 for a 13-4 scoreline with Betfred.
Jones cut quite a figure by his first world championship. He has qualified to the quarter final and equalized to 4-4 against Higginson at the moment.
Ronnies looking good. Careless misses are the one thing that seem to still plague him when he's playing well. He just missed an easy black. I remember in a final against robertson, robertson was playing really well and it looked like ronnie was rising to it, bouncing off the knuckles for position and stuff. He missed a formality and that was it. A shame because he was really silencing his critics having just finished mouthing off about how he looses interest because its not really challenging to him.

Loved the alex higgins impression at the end of frame 13.

Wouldn't it be funny if his temperament settled with age and he became a hendry just as people were starting to think he was on the decline.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest