The Student Room Group

Anyone else here watch snooker?

Don't generally hear it mentioned v much day to day. World Championship final this weekend!
Me!

And I was shocked when Higgins missed the black ball to decide the 16th frame! :eek: but to win this frame with a re-spotted black shows O'Sullivan's self-confidence and brilliance he has at the moment. 6-10 behind instead of 7-9. Higgins needs a higher break building for the last two sessions, otherwise the rocket overruns him.
(edited 1 year ago)
The semi-finals have gone opposite direction than I was expecting after the first few frames. Williams closing in on Trump now! Really excited, it's a great line up.
Original post by spinningtop
The semi-finals have gone opposite direction than I was expecting after the first few frames. Williams closing in on Trump now! Really excited, it's a great line up.

Williams catched Trump impressively up. 1-7 behind, and now the score is 11-13. His first session was a desaster, all the more I admire his comeback. Hope the same for Higgins.
Original post by Kallisto
Williams catched Trump impressively up. 1-7 behind, and now the score is 11-13. His first session was a desaster, all the more I admire his comeback. Hope the same for Higgins.

Higgins was my favourite coming into this, so fingers crossed! But Ronnie playing amazing as usual, it's whether or not he's consistent with it. Gotta see what happens after the interval.
Higgins was my favourite coming into this, so fingers crossed! But Ronnie playing amazing as usual, it's whether or not he's consistent with it. Gotta see what happens after the interval.

Everything is according to my plan so far. Trump and O'Sullivan are in the lead and I expected both in the final tomorrow.

Higgins had really bad luck, if I just consider the potted play balls and the color (by playing a required red ball). The latter led to the loss of a frame. These things aren't helpful to be in the break and to prevent O'Sullivan's match play.
(edited 1 year ago)
That is a typical, clear, dominant and brilliant show by O'Sullivan! 12-5 in the lead, three centuries, fast breaks as usual. If he keeps this up, he is the new world champion before the fourth session. I hardly believe in Trump's comeback to catch him up. That's it. Congratulations to Ronnie! That is a final he can't lose.
That is a typical, clear, dominant and brilliant show by O'Sullivan! 12-5 in the lead, three centuries, fast breaks as usual. If he keeps this up, he is the new world champion before the fourth session. I hardly believe in Trump's comeback to catch him up. That's it. Congratulations to Ronnie! That is a final he can't lose.

Amazing! Potentially only 6 frames left. This is being a solid end to the season!
Amazing! Potentially only 6 frames left. This is being a solid end to the season!

Trump won six of the last eight frames, just 11-14 now. And played two centuries! That is a demonstration of his will. He is back in the race. Still think that Ronnie is the winner at the end.
Trump won six of the last eight frames, just 11-14 now. And played two centuries! That is a demonstration of his will. He is back in the race. Still think that Ronnie is the winner at the end.

It shows Trump's strength though, I think both are great players. The level of play has been so high this year for any of them anyway!
It shows Trump's strength though, I think both are great players. The level of play has been so high this year for any of them anyway!

Its over now! As I expected O'Sullivan wins. 7th victory now, as many as another Snooker legend: Stephen Hendry. It is well deserved. The victory ceremony and his sportsmanlike gesture to Trump after the final shows the meaning for hisself. I have great respect to his performance.

A great compliment to Trump too. He gave Ronnie a great fight in three of four sessions. The second one decided the world championship, his comeback was too late. I am sure that he was not the last time in the final and will become a world champion again. Maybe next season.

By the by, if you follow this link you will enter a snooker society. Have fun! :smile:
Its over now! As I expected O'Sullivan wins. 7th victory now, as many as another Snooker legend: Stephen Hendry. It is well deserved. The victory ceremony and his sportsmanlike gesture to Trump after the final shows the meaning for hisself. I have great respect to his performance.

A great compliment to Trump too. He gave Ronnie a great fight in three of four sessions. The second one decided the world championship, his comeback was too late. I am sure that he was not the last time in the final and will become a world champion again. Maybe next season.

By the by, if you follow this link you will enter a snooker society. Have fun! :smile:

That was such a good match. Thanks for the link!
What a pity that no one here seems to be interest in the snooker worldchampionship this year. It really drives me crazy!

Brecel wins seven frames in a row, in a row against the world best snooker player and title defender O'Sullivan after 6-10 down! and what an incredible performance by the debutants Si and Jones. Jones eliminated Ali Carter, Neil Robertson and in the qualification before Barry Hawkins when he moved to the Quarter final and lost against Mark Allen with 10-13. And Si is the cherry on the cake! he just won the decider against McGill and is now in the semi-final! that is really stunning! :eek::eek: A better performance than Murphy's victory in 2005 in my opinion!
(edited 1 year ago)
I can't believe it! it still drives me crazy!! :eek3:

Mark Selby played a Maximum Break in a world championship final! :eek::eek:

What an amazing performance and historic moment! that is a thing I will never forget!

@spinningtop did you see this too?
(edited 12 months ago)
It is done!

Luca Brecel is the new world champion, cpngratulations! And what a victory! beating the champions Williams, O'Sullivan and Selby on the road to it, and played tremendous comebacks after big downs as in the title defender O'Sullivan and the debutant Si by winning seven and eleven frames in a row. Just astonishing!

My highlights were the Chinese wonderboy Si who reached a semi-final at his first world championship and the maximum in the final.
Also kudos to another debutant, the Welsh Jake Jones who arrived the quarter final by beating Ali Carter and Robertson. Also a strong performance.

In short: this tournament made so much fun! :smile:
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest