The Student Room Group

Retaking Year at Uni

I've been studying computer science at royal holloway and this is my first year.
I quite enjoy the course, but the thing is that I feel as though they go through the topics too quickly and it just doesn't give me enough time to understand each topic fully.
And for this reason, I have fallen behind on work and I have this feeling that I'll fail this year.

I know other people who study the same course as me in a different uni, and realise that the pace they go is a lot calmer; It seems like the perfect pace for me.

I have been thinking about changing uni's for next year as a retake for a long time now. I know i shouldn't have kept it to myself for this long to express this.
I just want to know if it's still even possible to change to another uni since ucas deadlines are gone, but i heard from a few people that they still take applicants till july 30th after deadline? Are there any ways to join unis without ucas?
Reply 1
I would contact the universities directly and as soon as possible, I suggest by phone as you'll get to speak to someone straight away. If you can't speak to who you need to speak to, try and get an e-mail address and follow it up with that. I would recommend you try and speak directly to the Admissions Tutors as they are the ones who will be deciding at the end of the day.

Explain your situation to them as you might be able to put in an application directly through them and not through UCAS. They might still have spaces if other applicants haven't put them as a Firm or Insurance choice.

Also look on the university websites, they usually say if they are still accepting late applicants. You might want to give UCAS a call and ask if there's anything you can do, like create an account late for UCAS Extra only or something.

Good luck!
Original post by MKS444
I've been studying computer science at royal holloway and this is my first year.
I quite enjoy the course, but the thing is that I feel as though they go through the topics too quickly and it just doesn't give me enough time to understand each topic fully.
And for this reason, I have fallen behind on work and I have this feeling that I'll fail this year.

I know other people who study the same course as me in a different uni, and realise that the pace they go is a lot calmer; It seems like the perfect pace for me.

I have been thinking about changing uni's for next year as a retake for a long time now. I know i shouldn't have kept it to myself for this long to express this.
I just want to know if it's still even possible to change to another uni since ucas deadlines are gone, but i heard from a few people that they still take applicants till july 30th after deadline? Are there any ways to join unis without ucas?

Depends on several factors. Most importantly the policy in the university you want to go to.

Different universities have different policies, you have to have SOLID reasons and it being too hard isn't going to cut it.

You will not be able to reclaim tuition fees and will have to redo student finance. Get some advice as soon as possible, but you may aswell finish the year now!
Reply 3
Original post by FranticMind
Depends on several factors. Most importantly the policy in the university you want to go to.

Different universities have different policies, you have to have SOLID reasons and it being too hard isn't going to cut it.

You will not be able to reclaim tuition fees and will have to redo student finance. Get some advice as soon as possible, but you may aswell finish the year now!

Well i suppose the location is also a factor of changing unis. I've had to move out into campis and i feel as though commuting is the way for me. Moving out isnt the one for me tbh and that has also affected my studies because i would go back
Home every week and just be demotivated to go back.

When you say i wont be able to reclaim, but they would fund you still if you take another year right? They fund for 4 years?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 4
Original post by colef001
I would contact the universities directly and as soon as possible, I suggest by phone as you'll get to speak to someone straight away. If you can't speak to who you need to speak to, try and get an e-mail address and follow it up with that. I would recommend you try and speak directly to the Admissions Tutors as they are the ones who will be deciding at the end of the day.

Explain your situation to them as you might be able to put in an application directly through them and not through UCAS. They might still have spaces if other applicants haven't put them as a Firm or Insurance choice.

Also look on the university websites, they usually say if they are still accepting late applicants. You might want to give UCAS a call and ask if there's anything you can do, like create an account late for UCAS Extra only or something.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. With regards to ucas, I've found out on ucas that you can still make an account and apply to unis but they dont HAVE to accept you. So i suppose calling the unis directly is the best option
Reply 5
Original post by MKS444
Thanks for the advice. With regards to ucas, I've found out on ucas that you can still make an account and apply to unis but they dont HAVE to accept you. So i suppose calling the unis directly is the best option

If that's the case, here's what I suggest. Make a UCAS account but don't put any applications in. Just make the account so you've got the UCAS ID to quote to unis if they need it. Then phone the unis and ask them if they still have spaces, explain your situation and ask them if it's worth you formally applying through UCAS. You've only got 5 choices and you can't add any more unless you get 5 rejections so you've got to be careful. I would only apply to places if the Admissions Tutor tells you it's worth doing, otherwise you're wasting a choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending