The Student Room Group

Can I transfer from foundation year at one uni to year 1 at a different uni

Hi, currently doing alevels and about to send off my UCAS application but need the safe option cas I’m applying With BCC but need BBB so looking into a foundation year (trying to do undergraduate pharmacy), can I do a foundation year at one university and transfer to another university into year 1 if I pass the foundation year?
Foundation years aren't designed to be transferrable, (they're for processing onto degrees at that particular uni), but others might consider them.

It's very case by case and you would need to speak to other unis to see if they consider that FY for the particular course you are thinking about.

Generally speaking you would be better retaking your AL's - it's cheaper and leaves more options open.
Reply 2
Original post by Safsz.a
Hi, currently doing alevels and about to send off my UCAS application but need the safe option cas I’m applying With BCC but need BBB so looking into a foundation year (trying to do undergraduate pharmacy), can I do a foundation year at one university and transfer to another university into year 1 if I pass the foundation year?

Exact same situation here. I think it depends on the unis themselves, so I think it’s a good idea to ask them about applying to their foundation years but transferring straight into their real pharmacy course after getting your real results if they’re enough to get in.They might consider it if you explain your circumstances. Also there’s stuff like clearing that can get you a space. I remember my tutor said I’d have to reapply on UCAS after my foundation year to get into another uni. Essentially it’s like a stepping stone to the unis, but I don’t know if for Manchester and Lincoln it links to the course.

Besides, you can always take a gap year (my plan), apply with your real A-level grades. My predicted ain’t that great (BBC) but I don’t care about what teachers predict bc at the end of the day it’s about the amount of effort you put in and for me I know I’m capable of As.

Good luck in ur application and no matter what happens remember u always have other options.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Its rare with MPharm - because most of the Pharm Year 0 courses do not include enough higher level Chemistry.
And the other Unis know this.

And - since all MPharm degrees qualify you as a Pharmacist, there isnt much point switching Unis anyway.
The NHS wont care where you got your degree, and neither will your future customers/patients.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Foundation years aren't designed to be transferrable, (they're for processing onto degrees at that particular uni), but others might consider them.

It's very case by case and you would need to speak to other unis to see if they consider that FY for the particular course you are thinking about.

Generally speaking you would be better retaking your AL's - it's cheaper and leaves more options open.

Thanks that’s what I was thinking, was js that I heard unis don’t like it when applicants retake alevels and often reject retakes.
Reply 5
Original post by Safsz.a
Thanks that’s what I was thinking, was js that I heard unis don’t like it when applicants retake alevels and often reject retakes.

Most don't have a problem with A level resits - just email them and ask.
As above, they’ll be honest if retakes would disadvantage you.
Reply 7
Original post by Safsz.a

Bath, as one example, has no problem with resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending