The Student Room Group

Repeating a year

I am writing on behalf of my daugther who is awaiting the outcome of remarks for year 1 of her psychology degree course. if she doesn't get a better mark she will fail the year and have to repeat it.

My question is will the university allow her to do this. She is under the impression it won't be difficult and I am not sure. So some advise would be welcome.

She needs to sign a tenancy agreement for next year in the next week and I am suggesting she holds off until we know her situation as the university have advised they won't have an answer for her until early sept.

i would welcome some advise on this matter asap
Reply 1
Original post by dnails63rr
I am writing on behalf of my daugther who is awaiting the outcome of remarks for year 1 of her psychology degree course. if she doesn't get a better mark she will fail the year and have to repeat it.

My question is will the university allow her to do this. She is under the impression it won't be difficult and I am not sure. So some advise would be welcome.

She needs to sign a tenancy agreement for next year in the next week and I am suggesting she holds off until we know her situation as the university have advised they won't have an answer for her until early sept.

i would welcome some advise on this matter asap

Hi there, it is an awkward situation to be in not knowing whether your daughter will be retaking the year or not. It sounds like your daughter would like to repeat the year if needed so she will be returning to the university regardless of her results? Unless I’ve misunderstood something I would say that she’d might as well sign that tenancy agreement as long as she could cover things financially in the event she retakes (for example, if she chooses to retake without attending lectures then she might receive little to no student finance for her retake year, but if she chooses to attend lectures and this is her first retake year then she should still get student finance but you can confirm the details on the gov website).
It’s also worth noting that if the university deems her credits in either half of the year as too few, then she may be a part time student for that half of the year and therefore may have to pay council tax for that half of the year. That is something to consider but different universities very may well have very different policies with regards to repeat years.

I will add that everything I have mentioned is based on what I’ve been told by my friend who failed her first year and has been told she has to retake. She had already signed her tenancy agreement several months before finding this out.

I hope some part of that is helpful!
(edited 8 months ago)
It’s not possible to answer this with any certainty as it depends entirely on the regs of the uni in question.

If she retook modules within her first year, then yes, some unis might let her repeat a year under some circumstances.

Edit: I’ve moved the thread to a more appropriate forum.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending