The Student Room Group

Resitting A-Levels whilst at 1st year Uni to transfer in 2nd year to a better Uni

I missed out on my firm offer at my dream university to study mechanical engineering on results day by a few grades (got CCD when my requirements were AAA) but got a place via clearing at another university which frankly isn't the best but I really don't want to take a gap year so my plan is to go uni (and try to end 1st yr with a 2:1 or 1st average) and to retake my A-levels at the same time and apply for 2nd-year entry at my dream uni however is it required to have the entry requirements (AAA at a level) for 2nd yr entry even when applying for 2nd yr transfer/entry into the university
Reply 1
Original post by Mahir.30
I missed out on my firm offer at my dream university to study mechanical engineering on results day by a few grades (got CCD when my requirements were AAA) but got a place via clearing at another university which frankly isn't the best but I really don't want to take a gap year so my plan is to go uni (and try to end 1st yr with a 2:1 or 1st average) and to retake my A-levels at the same time and apply for 2nd-year entry at my dream uni however is it required to have the entry requirements (AAA at a level) for 2nd yr entry even when applying for 2nd yr transfer/entry into the university

Do you need to redo your levels to transfer? I thought if u do well in the first year, u could transfer for the second year and a different uni?
I want to change unis too, but honestly I don't know what to do.
If you want to redo your a level do it, and I hope u do amazing. We had a tough 2 years. But have a look if its necessary to do so. i think it depends on which uni urs transferring to right?

Can you even apply for second year transfer at another uni? Given that most universities would retain their first year students I think it's unlikely.

In terms of retaking A levels, I know of someone that did retake an A level at uni to study at UCL but it was only one subject and they had to start from year 1. Retaking all 3 A-levels whilst at university would be pretty challenging albeit only in your first year of uni. My advice is to either commit to uni and do a postgrad at your dream uni or take a year to retake your subjects to make sure you get the best results.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by V.E.M
Do you need to redo your levels to transfer? I thought if u do well in the first year, u could transfer for the second year and a different uni?
I want to change unis too, but honestly I don't know what to do.
If you want to redo your a level do it, and I hope u do amazing. We had a tough 2 years. But have a look if its necessary to do so. i think it depends on which uni urs transferring to right?

yh the 1st yr entry requirments are still required even for a 2nd yr transfer to the uni
Pointless.

Uni is hard work and you will mess that up if you are trying to do another full-time course on the side.
Its time to stop being resentful about going to a differemt Uni, and focus on actually enjoying Freshers Week etc.
This is a terrible idea.

I have never known a student successfully attempt this (aside from when November resits were available). They either don’t do well in their resits or end up unhappy and struggling with their degree because they’re not committed to staying.
You'd be better off just resitting your A levels next year. You are vanishingly unlikely to do well in either your resits or your first year of uni while trying to do both at the same time and you'll be paying thousands of pounds for the privilege.

I think people have the idea that transferring universities is like it is in the US, where it's common and easy and your credits just move over. It isn't. It is an unusual and relatively complicated process which basically involves redoing the entire application process just like in year 13, and in the majority of cases also involves redoing year 1 at the new university because many if not most courses don't line up well enough between universities not to.
Original post by Abrams1101
Can you even apply for second year transfer at another uni? Given that most universities would retain their first year students I think it's unlikely.

In terms of retaking A levels, I know of someone that did retake an A level at uni to study at UCL but it was only one subject and they had to start from year 1. Retaking all 3 A-levels whilst at university would be pretty challenging albeit only in your first year of uni. My advice is to either commit to uni and do a postgrad at your dream uni or take a year to retake your subjects to make sure you get the best results.

What about 2 (maths & Physics) I rlly want to transfer uni cus I don’t like my insurance course and I want to go to my firm Uni cus if the course so I was thinking of doing as well as not participating in anything other a levels revision degree and part time work so i will be a little miserable but I think it’s worth it

PS: I can’t retake cus my parents are against it so I was thinking of doing it secretly

Terrible idea. What if the exams clash as they well might? As long as the degree is accredited the uni doesn't matter for Engineering - do a year in industry and get a good degree.
Original post by AlevelMaths16
What about 2 (maths & Physics) I rlly want to transfer uni cus I don’t like my insurance course and I want to go to my firm Uni cus if the course so I was thinking of doing as well as not participating in anything other a levels revision degree and part time work so i will be a little miserable but I think it’s worth it

PS: I can’t retake cus my parents are against it so I was thinking of doing it secretly

You really underestimate the intensity of uni work, it’s a massive jump from a levels, it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to manage 2 full time courses and do well in both of them. If you don’t want to go to your insurance, don’t go. It is not a common occurrence to be able to transfer in second year, and even less likely if your firm was a Russel group.
Did u decide what to do ?
Reply 11

What did u end up doing? Because im in a similar situation this yr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending