The Student Room Group

Worth getting a remark or not plssss help

Hey so basically I got a C in history and I was 6 marks off a B, is it worth remarking? In a crisis rn as I got into none of the unis I wanted and I don't want to settle for one I don't like.

Scroll to see replies

I didn’t do History, but 6 marks is quite a lot to get on a remark. Most remarks don’t change the grade. Have you considered taking a gap year and retaking?
Original post by hpphphpphpphphp
Hey so basically I got a C in history and I was 6 marks off a B, is it worth remarking? In a crisis rn as I got into none of the unis I wanted and I don't want to settle for one I don't like.
Original post by 16omarshall
I didn’t do History, but 6 marks is quite a lot to get on a remark. Most remarks don’t change the grade. Have you considered taking a gap year and retaking?

AHH well the thing is I can't afford to retake and history is veryyyy hard to do without a teacher :frown:
AHH well the thing is I can't afford to retake and history is veryyyy hard to do without a teacher :frown:

That’s a fair point. Did you get into a uni? In terms of career it probably won’t matter what uni you do your undergrad (depending on your career), particularly if you get a high grade or go on to do postgrad.
Reply 4

I’d always go for it… that way you’ll never be in doubt. Worst that can happen is it was a waste of money but compared to the best outcome of getting into uni it’s a no brainer.
Original post by 16omarshall
That’s a fair point. Did you get into a uni? In terms of career it probably won’t matter what uni you do your undergrad (depending on your career), particularly if you get a high grade or go on to do postgrad.

I did I got into royal Holloway and I have a clearing offer from kingston but I honestly want neither I know it doesn't rlly matter what uni but I would rather go to one that I would maybe enjoy ygm IDKKKK I'm really really conflicted !!!
Your other choice is to take a year out and reapply with the grades you have, next year. This would give you time to find a Uni you would be happier with
Original post by MNN21
I’d always go for it… that way you’ll never be in doubt. Worst that can happen is it was a waste of money but compared to the best outcome of getting into uni it’s a no brainer.

Thanks appreciate the reply :smile:
Original post by totallyfine
Your other choice is to take a year out and reapply with the grades you have, next year. This would give you time to find a Uni you would be happier with

Hmm true but I got AAC which won't rlly get me in the unis I want :frown:
Hmm true but I got AAC which won't rlly get me in the unis I want :frown:

Then you have to get a remark and consider the retake.
Then you have to get a remark and consider the retake.

If I get it remarked and it goes up to a B I don't need to retake
Yeah, but given 6 marks is quite a jump, I think it is more likely you will have to retake, sadly.

I still think going through all your university options is the better bet, to be honest. There are plenty of amazing places out there.
Yeah, but given 6 marks is quite a jump, I think it is more likely you will have to retake, sadly.

I still think going through all your university options is the better bet, to be honest. There are plenty of amazing places out there.

Alrightttt, I just don't want to regret not doing it just in case - I've ran out of uni options tbh 😭
well, check out the boundary for the grade lower and if that is nice and far away then you have nothing to lose (as marks can go down as well as up) with a remark and you need to chat with your teachers about which paper is the best bet for you to try.
(edited 8 months ago)
(Original post by totallyfine)well, check out the boundary for the grade lower and if that is nice and far away then you have nothing to lose (as marks can go down as well as up) with a remark and you need to chat with your teachers about which paper is the best bet for you to try.

and then retake if that doesn't work but keep looking at all the uni options in case the retake doesn't pay off.
well, check out the boundary for the grade lower and if that is nice and far away then you have nothing to lose (as marks can go down as well as up) with a remark and you need to chat with your teachers about which paper is the best bet for you to try.

I'm 16 marks away from the boundary for the grade lower so I think it's not too big of a chance I'll be marked down, thanks for thr advice! Also, what do u mean by whicj paper is best just asking ??
(Original post by totallyfine)well, check out the boundary for the grade lower and if that is nice and far away then you have nothing to lose (as marks can go down as well as up) with a remark and you need to chat with your teachers about which paper is the best bet for you to try.

and then retake if that doesn't work but keep looking at all the uni options in case the retake doesn't pay off.

ooook thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Literally what have you got to lose.. anyone saying not to remark why do you think that?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by MNN21
Literally what have you got to lose.. anyone saying not to remark why do you think that?

It costs like £65. 6 marks is a lot and the grade almost certainly won’t change. I’m 3 marks away from the grade I want in a subject, but I'm not remarking because it costs a lot.
I'm 16 marks away from the boundary for the grade lower so I think it's not too big of a chance I'll be marked down, thanks for thr advice! Also, what do u mean by whicj paper is best just asking ??

well you did several papers. So which one do you want to get remarked? You don't need to get all of them done and your teachers can request the scripts to see where your best bet lays. You need to speak to your sixth form about this

Quick Reply

Latest