The Student Room Group

Triumph of Elizabeth A2 AQA June 12th Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Snoozy94
could someone explain the monopolies issue to me? It wasnt covered greatly at my school-I know that Essex had a monopoly on sweet wine? (could be wrong) and that it was bad economically but wanting to know good specific knowledge

Also any ideas on how to prevent myself from repeating points as thats my downfall!

Monopolies were a huge contention for Parliament because their constituents (and them) were being forced certain prices on certain key commodities, almost everything became a "monopoly" as it were. The nobles could dictate prices to everyone on said commodity, and Elizabeth was selling them because she needed the cash that Parliament did not want to hand over in order to cover the war with Spain.

Yes, Essex had a monopoly on sweet wines which Elizabeth took back in 1600 I believe.
Reply 181
Original post by MalleusMaleficarum
Does anyone have any examples of essays about the effectiveness of central/local government? If so, could you post them? We didn't cover this at all and I can't find any past paper questions whatsoever about it, but I'm worried that it might come up now and I've no idea what to say about it.

Also, does anyone know anything about factionalism under Edward & Mary?

Ignore if it comes up, I plan on doing so, we didn't exactly cover it either.

In terms of faction it's very basic under Edward, Somerset vs Northumberland as a main, but a lot of religious separation between bishops etc against the privy council, and within the privy council. Mainly religion and pick some obvious points, I would be very surprised if this was at all needed.
Reply 182
There is not even a 0.1% chance a question on local government could come up, i haven't even done it. It is a useless section that is supposedly supposed to demonstrate an internal threat. You also do not need to know about the specific details of monopolies. Do not get boged down in facts, it is an analytical essay exam.
Reply 183
Original post by chrisluff
There is not even a 0.1% chance a question on local government could come up, i haven't even done it. It is a useless section that is supposedly supposed to demonstrate an internal threat. You also do not need to know about the specific details of monopolies. Do not get boged down in facts, it is an analytical essay exam.

You'd get rep if I had any left, you're right, it's just good to know some things.
Original post by Hobo389
Ignore if it comes up, I plan on doing so, we didn't exactly cover it either.

In terms of faction it's very basic under Edward, Somerset vs Northumberland as a main, but a lot of religious separation between bishops etc against the privy council, and within the privy council. Mainly religion and pick some obvious points, I would be very surprised if this was at all needed.

Thanks - I only ask because there was a past paper question a few years ago asking to what extent the political and religious struggles of the mid-Tudor years degenerated into lasting factional conflict. It was a really nasty one, but hopefully that sort of question won't come up again - perhaps the 2010 syllabus change means no more of that.

Original post by chrisluff

There definitely won't be a question about local government per se, but as I understand it this could come up as part of a larger question about government. Probably not - I can't find any past paper questions from the last few years on the topic - but these things are occupying my mind at present. :tongue:
Could someone explain the whole idea of Puritan 'classes'/'classis'. I really do not understand the concept.

I would be grateful if someone could explain it. :biggrin:
Reply 186
Original post by et cetera
Could someone explain the whole idea of Puritan 'classes'/'classis'. I really do not understand the concept.

I would be grateful if someone could explain it. :biggrin:

Never even heard of it. Puritan classes?
Just wondering if any one has any tips for timing has I find I always run out of time! Classes by the way were meetings of Presbyterians where they would discuss with each others ways of improving their teaching and learning.
Reply 188
Original post by TeddyEddy
Just wondering if any one has any tips for timing has I find I always run out of time! Classes by the way were meetings of Presbyterians where they would discuss with each others ways of improving their teaching and learning.

Thanks, though that was prophesying but hey ho :P

On timings, it doesn't matter if you only get in a side and a half or so (all I do) as long as you cover all angles (extremely unhelpful, sorry) :frown:
Original post by Hobo389

On timings, it doesn't matter if you only get in a side and a half or so (all I do) as long as you cover all angles (extremely unhelpful, sorry) :frown:

Classes were similar to prophesyings, but the latter were legitimate (until Elizabeth banned them) gathering of clergy while the classes are associated with the Classical Movement of John Field and Thomas Cartwright - basically, an attempt to set up a grassroots Presbyterian network.
Original post by Hobo389

Yeah I thought it might be but it's in the Book but that Chapter I hate so I just haven't bothered revising it. It's something along the lines though sorry I couldn't be of more help =( I think I know what you mean about timing it's just my teacher always bangs on about quality not quantity but then moans I don't include a certain point.
Original post by OurDecemberSun
Depending on the time period, I'd say that there were issues with the people elected to local gov., which can be seen by the Earl of Derby in Lancashire, whose loyalty to Elizabeth was questionable, showed sympathy towards Catholics, but was elected to his position because of his influence in Lancashire which led to tension when the Northern Rebellion broke out. Even though Derby was ultimately not an issue, the tension felt at the time demonstrates how much central government relied on local government.

I would also say that overall there were not many issues with loyalty as many of the people appointed to positions like Lords-Lieutenant and JPs appeared to be hardworking, with only a few issues in select areas, and many were so honoured to receive the titles - which were very prestigious - that they would rather not show disloyalty and lose them.

I think I'd include that JPs showed considerable effectiveness, especially when dealing with plague and dearth in the later years, as they were shown to take stocks of grain and divide them between the localities according to the Books of Orders which helped deal with the problem of failing harvests. As well as this, they were appointed in every shire once problems with Spain became paramount in 1585, which can only demonstrate that they were effective in some way or they surely would not have been used to this extent.

Personally, I would have said that local government is too narrow to get a whole essay out of on its own, but I have seen - and answered, badly (it was almost at the beginning of the course) - a question where it is mentioned alongside central government. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think if they wanted specifics on local government, they'd combine it with central government rather than just local on its own.

Very quickly, what would you say about local government across the Elizabethan era? My argument would be something along the lines of it being reasonably effective, slightly shaky authority at first (see Derby, magnates in the North) but increasing JP numbers/workload and the changes to the Lord Lieutenants' role gave central government a better grip on the localities. Books of Orders etcetera made local government more effective.

Basically, the main thrust of my argument in that paragraph would be 1) local government made more efficient and 2) the authority of the central government in the localities was expanded. is that a fair enough reflection on changes to local government?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by TeddyEddy
Yeah I thought it might be but it's in the Book but that Chapter I hate so I just haven't bothered revising it. It's something along the lines though sorry I couldn't be of more help =( I think I know what you mean about timing it's just my teacher always bangs on about quality not quantity but then moans I don't include a certain point.

My serious advice is to ignore your teacher and don't stress, they're just trying to motivate you before an exam, they know that in an exam there's no way in hell that you'll get every point across. Quality rather than quantity.
Reply 193
How should I structure an an answer, like a single paragraph, and how much historiography should I make in one essay piece?
Reply 194
Original post by Char Wari
How should I structure an an answer, like a single paragraph, and how much historiography should I make in one essay piece?

In a way that is appropriate, but if you can avoid it, never chronologically or randomly. Thematically, i.e Religion, socio-economic etc, or in foreign policy by region. Or separate by aims, it really depends on the question.

In a paragraph, just as you would in any other essay, point, evidence, explanation, counter-balance, historian's interpretations, judgement on said interpretations. There's no set on how much historiography, more where it's appropriate. :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by MalleusMaleficarum
Classes were similar to prophesyings, but the latter were legitimate (until Elizabeth banned them) gathering of clergy while the classes are associated with the Classical Movement of John Field and Thomas Cartwright - basically, an attempt to set up a grassroots Presbyterian network.

Thank you, think I remember what you're talking about, makes sense.
Reply 196
Does anyone know Elizabeth's policies in Ireland in the 1590s?
Reply 197
okay i have reached the point where i am probably going to consolidate my revision on topics which are likely to come up... so, people, what are you predictions??
Reply 198
Original post by Harry.K
okay i have reached the point where i am probably going to consolidate my revision on topics which are likely to come up... so, people, what are you predictions??

Anything could come up! I've nearly done everything apart from Government and Parliament... and her ministers.

Only thing I know about Government, Parliament, Ministers: is the factional rivals in the form of Robert Cecil and Earl of Essex.. and Parliament failing to grant subsidies for the war with Spain.

Leicester and Walsigham's death too, and it's impact

So hopefully Government doesn't come up!!
Original post by Char Wari
Does anyone know Elizabeth's policies in Ireland in the 1590s?

Basically to try and restore order because of the Tyrone rebellion. Spain tried to include an Irish contingent on the 1596 Armada, but it didn't work. Eliz got really scared because Philip had shown that he wanted to exploit Catholic trouble in Ireland. She sent Essex there to sort it out but he sucked balls, negotiated a temporary truce and ran home. When the truce ended Tyrone went to the coast to meet up with Spanish forces, so Elizabeth sent Mountjoy to sort it out, which he did, and pushed Tyrone back to Ulster. Her policy from then on was to stop Spanish landings in Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending