The Student Room Group

Anyone else agree the big bang theory is rubbish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I don't like it really. I like what it is doing though, which is making science a bit more accessible, but by making it accessible they end up dumbing things down a little. I'm really glad it's been such a success, but I don't personally like watching it so much.
Please, introduce me to your friends.
Reply 102
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
I think it's one of the worst sitcoms I've ever seen. Granted I've only seen a couple of episodes but it was painfully unfunny to me in places.

Here is a clip without the laugh track

[video="youtube;zS5a7RBB4vk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS5a7RBB4vk[/video]

Without the laugh track it's like a drama showing the daily struggles of a severly autistic man trying to cope in society

Problem with this video is that it cuts where the pauses would be so you don't really have a chance to laugh. It changes the entire register of the show into one where you *aren't supposed* to laugh.

Things like this don't prove a point. If you take away the audience laughter from a studio sitcom then the show isn't the same. If you added laughter to a single-camera show like Malcolm in the Middle or The Office, or an animated show like The Simpsosns, it would equally ruin the show.

They're each made for their respective crafts. Big Bang Theory gets away with a more tippy-tappy dialogue because it has a live studio audience. The secret of comedy is timing and if you misjudge it, it's ruined.

Also, odd that people are so hung up on the science element of it. Pretty much all the stories are about quite generic themes of fitting in, relationships, etc. The science part is hardly significant to what actually makes the situations funny.
I love it, A-level Physics has allowed me to understand a good deal of the jokes too! :biggrin:
Reply 104
One of my favourite shows. However it's dipped a bit since it's now to revolved around 'girls' (introduction of pryia, Bernadette, Amy) and 'relationships' which isn't why I started watching it. It's the characters that provide the most entertainment, Sheldon, Howard and Raj make that show!
Best episode is when they get baked while camping!

But it's all subjective.
Reply 105
You know a shows popular and makes a lot of money when someone has to make a thread on TSR about how much they hate it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DamnDirtyGrapes
[video="youtube;K7ZcDShqCl0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZcDShqCl0[/video]

Oh look, a far superior modern 'geeky' sitcom.

This was going to be my response.

I was introduced to Big Bang Theory and Community in the same evening. I watched one episode of Big Bang Theory and hated it because it's essentially "hurr hurr geek stereotypes everywhurr". I then watched one episode of Community, and went on to keep watching episodes until I fell asleep because it's excellent. Big Bang Theory is a sitcom about being clever and tries to convince people it's clever because of this. Community actually is clever.

Furthermore, Big Bang Theory doesn't star Donald Glover and Danny Pudi.
Original post by alexs2602
Holy ****, I just realised how bad it is... then again that video does miss out some of the acting that would make it funny.

Original post by inkblot
Problem with this video is that it cuts where the pauses would be so you don't really have a chance to laugh. It changes the entire register of the show into one where you *aren't supposed* to laugh.

Things like this don't prove a point. If you take away the audience laughter from a studio sitcom then the show isn't the same. If you added laughter to a single-camera show like Malcolm in the Middle or The Office, or an animated show like The Simpsosns, it would equally ruin the show.

They're each made for their respective crafts. Big Bang Theory gets away with a more tippy-tappy dialogue because it has a live studio audience. The secret of comedy is timing and if you misjudge it, it's ruined.

Also, odd that people are so hung up on the science element of it. Pretty much all the stories are about quite generic themes of fitting in, relationships, etc. The science part is hardly significant to what actually makes the situations funny.

Here's the same video without the pauses when the laughing is taken out.

[video="youtube;vfFd_wOQsGQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFd_wOQsGQ[/video]

And yes I agree that the laughter does add to the show but it seems extremely excessive to me, as imo hardly anything in the programme is actually funny.
Reply 108
It's spectacularly awful
Original post by mikeyd85
Ball pool Bazinga.
Rock, Paper, Scissor, Lizard, Spock.

Love it!

I cried for 20 minutes laughing at the ball pool thing.
So sad.

I think the big bang theory is one of the best comedies around at the minute.
You'd have to be brain-dead to find it amusing, same goes for How I Met Your Mother, New Girl et al.
Original post by TheHansa
The worst part is when you're friends shamelessly assign each member of your social group a personality from the show.

Your friends should be shot.
and incinerated. Just to be sure.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
You'd have to be brain-dead to find it amusing, same goes for How I Met Your Mother, New Girl et al.

How I met your mother I find marginally better. I'm rather annoyed for allowing myself to get caught up in How I met oyur Mother. This occurred mainly because I will always have a soft spot for Jason Segal after his role in the outstanding 'Freaks and Geeks'. Problem is that I can't stop watching now as I feel i've invested too much in it over SEVEN SEASONS. Even though it's really quite average.

Tsk Tsk. Silly me.
Reply 114
sqrt i.jpg
I think this is one of those shows that are so bad they're good.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

Definitely agree about New Girl. I tried watching 10 episodes of that before giving up on the premise of it being remotely funny. My neighbour seems to find it hilarious and for the life of me I don't see why. For the first few episodes it was an amusing novelty then that wore off and now it's just recycled material.

How I Met Your Mother is better but it's one of those shows I only watch if I have nothing else I'd rather be doing, or to help me get to sleep.

et al would include shows like Family Guy and American Dad I presume?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH

X

Can I just say... You have the most hilarious sig ever.

Oh just to add some relevence to this topic, I love BBT and its theme tune never fails to get me singing/screeching along with the words :biggrin:
Original post by alexs2602

et al would include shows like Family Guy and American Dad I presume?

I dropped american dad after about a season or two, but recently was very surpsised to discover that season 7 had a handful of flipping excellent episodes
Reply 119
It's okay. I watch it and i laugh at some of the jokes. Sheldon and Amy are pretty funny. It's very obviously a chuck lorre production.

I don't really like the way women are portayed but hey it's chuck lorre. None of the girls are into geek culture like the guys are. Even the ones who are portrayed as geeky and have PHDs still want nothing more then to be Penny's best friend and do makeovers and have girly sleepovers. The girls aren't interested in video games or comic books.

I think there is an episode where Penny gets addicted to a MMO but thats about as far as it gets. But it's light entertainment, it does what it's supposed to i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest