The Student Room Group

MSc Data Science at Uni of Manchester

I'm thinking of doing a masters in data science (on the social analytics pathway) at Manchester uni next year, has anyone else done this course previously, or another similar course, and how did you find it?
I've really enjoyed doing stats at undergrad and want to improve these skills but can't seem to find anywhere that offers reviews on postgrad courses like there is for undergrads.
If you're looking for a review for this course from Manchester, it is a good one.
If you're looking for this course, in general, refer to the below rankings :

IDP
Yocket

One way to get reviews is LinkedIn, find alumni for this course and ping them asking about it. IMO check the course modules each course offers, read them in detail if need be get additional information from the departments, find which course matches your interest and inclinations and then proceed with the applications.
I'm going to be doing this MSc program starting in October. I've been doing the same, trying to find information and look for current/past students to see, but there isn't much information. It's a very new course with small cohorts so really there's not many students who have done the program. Post again in a year and I can see if I can give you a run-down of how it's gone for me haha
Reply 3
Original post by nellybelly29
I'm going to be doing this MSc program starting in October. I've been doing the same, trying to find information and look for current/past students to see, but there isn't much information. It's a very new course with small cohorts so really there's not many students who have done the program. Post again in a year and I can see if I can give you a run-down of how it's gone for me haha

Yeah I have tried to find past students on linked and facebook but not managed to find any! I think I'm going to apply to it anyways. Just out of curiosity what did you do for your undergrad degree and how did you find the application process?
Original post by rk991112
Yeah I have tried to find past students on linked and facebook but not managed to find any! I think I'm going to apply to it anyways. Just out of curiosity what did you do for your undergrad degree and how did you find the application process?

My degree is in International Relations with Quantitative Methods, so I have a decent amount of quantitative/statistics training but not much by way of 'actual' data science. To be honest, this program wasn't my top program when I was applying, so the application process wasn't too bad. I didn't find it to be much different than the other programs I applied to, I just submitted my application and my personal statement and then got my references sent over too. I might have been more meticulous if I'd realized how selective the program was, but I genuinely had no idea when I applied haha. It was only after I got an offer that I started to look into the program much more in-depth, and I realized that with how selective the program is and the structure of it, it would be a pretty ridiculous idea for me to turn down the offer
Reply 5
My degree is in International Relations with Quantitative Methods, so I have a decent amount of quantitative/statistics training but not much by way of 'actual' data science. To be honest, this program wasn't my top program when I was applying, so the application process wasn't too bad. I didn't find it to be much different than the other programs I applied to, I just submitted my application and my personal statement and then got my references sent over too. I might have been more meticulous if I'd realized how selective the program was, but I genuinely had no idea when I applied haha. It was only after I got an offer that I started to look into the program much more in-depth, and I realized that with how selective the program is and the structure of it, it would be a pretty ridiculous idea for me to turn down the offer

That's good you got an offer as my degree is Politics with Quantitative methods so I was worried that my degree didn't sound like I had enough of a background in statistics even though that's the path I want to go down. Just out of interest what other programs did you apply to? I'm going into my 3rd year at Leeds and ideally want to stay there, but the Data Science and Analytics MSc requires more of a maths background than I think I have.
That's good you got an offer as my degree is Politics with Quantitative methods so I was worried that my degree didn't sound like I had enough of a background in statistics even though that's the path I want to go down. Just out of interest what other programs did you apply to? I'm going into my 3rd year at Leeds and ideally want to stay there, but the Data Science and Analytics MSc requires more of a maths background than I think I have.

To be honest I'm still a little concerned about my level of maths and Manchester's degree, but I've been assured they've had students with fewer quants skills succeed. If you're doing a quants course, I'd say you're probably bang on par for an application similar to mine.

I also applied for: Social Research Methods and Statistics at Manchester, Applied Social Data Science at Exeter, Applied Social Data Science at LSE, Politics, Big Data and Quantitative Methods at Warwick, and Social Research Methods with the quants pathway at Edinburgh. All similar, but a pretty wide range in terms of how 'maths-y' they are
Reply 7
To be honest I'm still a little concerned about my level of maths and Manchester's degree, but I've been assured they've had students with fewer quants skills succeed. If you're doing a quants course, I'd say you're probably bang on par for an application similar to mine.

I also applied for: Social Research Methods and Statistics at Manchester, Applied Social Data Science at Exeter, Applied Social Data Science at LSE, Politics, Big Data and Quantitative Methods at Warwick, and Social Research Methods with the quants pathway at Edinburgh. All similar, but a pretty wide range in terms of how 'maths-y' they are

Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with the MSc? I've just been offered a place on MSc Data Science (Social Analytics) at Manchester and I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the fees compared to other courses that are cheaper. How are you finding the course / online learning and anything else about Manchester?
Hi, just wondering how you're getting on with the MSc? I've just been offered a place on MSc Data Science (Social Analytics) at Manchester and I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the fees compared to other courses that are cheaper. How are you finding the course / online learning and anything else about Manchester?

Online has been difficult, but I think a lot of people are struggling with online right now. Everyone is trying their best!

Feel free to PM me if you want any more specific details!
Reply 9
Hi! I'm interested in the course and was wondering how much computational knowledge prior is required? I want to be able to learn and develop these skills but don't want to put myself in an entirely uncomfortable position!I have very limited experience and don't really want to do a masters in a theory-based course. Any suggestions would be helpful!Thanks!
I'm thinking of doing a masters in data science (on the social analytics pathway) at Manchester uni next year, has anyone else done this course previously, or another similar course, and how did you find it?
I've really enjoyed doing stats at undergrad and want to improve these skills but can't seem to find anywhere that offers reviews on postgrad courses like there is for undergrads.

Hi there! It's great to hear that you're considering pursuing a master's degree in data science at Manchester University. While I am not aware of anyone who has specifically taken this course, I can recommend checking out the website < a href = ”https://search.aeccglobal.com/”>course search</a>. This site provides a comprehensive database of courses and universities, along with reviews from current and past students.
Hi there! My application for MSC Data Science (Social Analytics) has just been waitlisted and will be considered during Stage 2. Just wondering how likely is it that they will accept people from waitlist? Does anyone know how many percentage of those waitlisted were given an offer in the end in the past?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending