The Student Room Group
Reply 1
depends what subject and at what college?
Reply 2
ABCD
Hey this is probably pretty useless but can someone tell me on average how many people one have to compete with e.g. 1:3 means you have to compete with 3 other people with one place obviously... is it likely to be higher than 1:3 for both universities?

it is roughly 1:3 around all subjects looking at the back of cambridge's prospectus
Reply 3
ABCD
Hey this is probably pretty useless but can someone tell me on average how many people one have to compete with e.g. 1:3 means you have to compete with 3 other people with one place obviously... is it likely to be higher than 1:3 for both universities?

mind you now looking at it more carefully things like law it is about 1:5!
Reply 4
TheWolf
mind you now looking at it more carefully things like law it is about 1:5!

try looking here
http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2003-4/supps/entry.pdf
This year apparently the average for all subjects was 1:4 I think, but does vary a lot.
Reply 6
devilschild
This year apparently the average for all subjects was 1:4 I think, but does vary a lot.

For postgraduate school entry it can be as high as 1 from 10/15 applications.
ABCD

You are right, it is VERY USELESS. This figure really has no significance and can not help very much. At best, it will give you a vague idea of how popular a subject is in general at the university.

Some people turn up at their interview expecting to only find another 4 people per place being interviewed, but in reality there is 30 people competing for 3 spaces. Others turn up and find that there is only 4 people being interviewed for 2 places.

If this ratio really interests you, you should be interested in finding out the ratio at college level, as this would be more useful. That said, the winter pool does tend to (or is supposed to?) even out much of the disparity, so ratios of this kind are not especially useful when deciding college/subject.
Reply 8
Mentally Ill
You are right, it is VERY USELESS. This figure really has no significance and can not help very much. At best, it will give you a vague idea of how popular a subject is in general at the university.

Some people turn up at their interview expecting to only find another 4 people per place being interviewed, but in reality there is 30 people competing for 3 spaces. Others turn up and find that there is only 4 people being interviewed for 2 places.

If this ratio really interests you, you should be interested in finding out the ratio at college level, as this would be more useful. That said, the winter pool does tend to (or is supposed to?) even out much of the disparity, so ratios of this kind are not especially useful when deciding college/subject.

yea well said

anyways, i just also found out that you might have got your ratios wrong, because one of the admissions tutor told me that 3:1 means 3 people for one place, and your thing means a person has 3 competitor? very strange, anyways, either case you shouldnt care about these things too much as mentallyill said :wink:
Reply 9
TheWolf
yea well said

anyways, i just also found out that you might have got your ratios wrong, because one of the admissions tutor told me that 3:1 means 3 people for one place, and your thing means a person has 3 competitor? very strange, anyways, either case you shouldnt care about these things too much as mentallyill said :wink:

3:1 is in the notation of a ratio, and could therefore mean 3 competitors. However, most people talk about the applicant to place ratio, whereby one of the applicants is accepted and that would mean it'd be 3 applicants to a place therefore two competitors. I'd say that is the most used interpretation.

In my college for my subject it was apparently 5 applicants per place by the time it got to interview at least.

Alaric.
Reply 10
but bear in mind that if you are relying on the applicant per places ratio and going for the least... then there may be lots of others who also think that i'll apply to the college with the least applications thus increasing the ratios, and decreasing your chances of getting in! don't quote me on this but i think that it happened for st hildas this year!

Latest

Trending

Trending