The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scottish123
For DME is the most likely topic to be alcohol minimum price, school meals or fat tax? Also is there any chance that scrapping child benefits could come up or would that be next year as that would be under wealth and not health

we used the fat tax as a nab, could it still be used tomorrow?
Original post by Laurendick.17
yeah:smile: if it does come up, could you take a health approach on it?:/

I've not seen somebody approach it in terms of health so I honestly don't know. I would be more inclined to write about differences in wealth (glass ceiling) and how it's slowly improved over the years, although it's still not equal
Reply 142
Hey,

This may sound rude, but can people tell me how they would answer devolution questions? Just the paragraph headers? That would be a great help!

Is it likely for a devolution question to come up? Or local government?
This is for A1 question, by the way :smile:

ThanksB
Our teacher has predicted:

A4: Voting systems - FPTP vs STV or AMS

B5 & B6: Individualism vs Collectivism
Welfare State
Gender and ethnic inequalities

C9: Powers of the President
Ethnic Minority influence in elections

C11: Foreign Aid alone is no guarantee of development (2007 question.)

Glad to see most people have the same thing!

For DME I'm thinking fat tax, minimum alcohol pricing, Robin Hood tax.

And to who was asking, fat tax could come up - our teacher said they've done that before, made the same subject a NAB then in the final exam. :smile:
Reply 144
thanks guys! our predictions are pretty much the same.
we were thinking it may be a local council and scottish government essay because thats not came up in a while,
pr vs fptp possibly,
government policies to reduce inequalities or impact of income on health and finally for the usa question we were thinking it may be powers of the president although i was having a look back at past questions and i thought it may also be the impact ethnic minorities have on the turnout of the vote?
As for the dme, im so worried! there is so much to remember.
And this is like the biggest question ever, how do all you guys study for modern studies? do you find remembering essays easier? :confused:
Original post by Melancholymelody
I'm hoping for a essay on PR vs FPTP in general and bring in thepros and cons of AMS FPTP AND STV and describe how each works or voting behaviour of A4. I'm hoping that we get one along the lines of 'The introductio of the NHS has eliminated health and wealth inequalites.'

For that I'd bring in welfare State and how the NHS tackled disease I'd mention private medical care, postcode lottery, weight, smoking, cancer survival rates , life expectancy and alcohol consuption, the NHS being a victim of its own success, introduction of charges for dental etc and evaluate my points.

It's not exactly a plan but how does this sound?

Hoping for aid aswell for Africa and powers of the president/ inequalities between Ethnic minorities.

I'm hoping for the exact same thing, the first question would be such a relief compared to other voting systems questions!
god I'm hoping for devolution hahahaha,
for my essay on devolution my points are...
for -
1. devolved powers allow scottish government to tackle problems specific to scotland (bad health rates, 2006 smoking ban etc.)
2.bloc grant
3. more time for Scottish issues to be addressed in the Scottish Parliament (e.g. recent anti sectarian bill)

against -
1. no say in reserved powers such as defence or immigration (dawn raids, scottish soldiers etc.)
2. no fiscal autonomy
3. sewel motions - westminster still has control over many parts of scotland

i don't even know if that essay is right, but i hope it helped :smile:
@hayleymcm god I'm hoping for devolution hahahaha,
for my essay on devolution my points are...
for -
1. devolved powers allow scottish government to tackle problems specific to scotland (bad health rates, 2006 smoking ban etc.)
2.bloc grant
3. more time for Scottish issues to be addressed in the Scottish Parliament (e.g. recent anti sectarian bill)

against -
1. no say in reserved powers such as defence or immigration (dawn raids, scottish soldiers etc.)
2. no fiscal autonomy
3. sewel motions - westminster still has control over many parts of scotland

i don't even know if that essay is right, but i hope it helped :smile:
Anyone think Causes of Wealth inequalities may come up?
Reply 149
Thankyou! That's helped a lot :smile:

But, is the gernally prediction local government for this one?
Original post by scottish19
Do you seriously think that they could ask about voting behaviour in the USA? And if so, what kind of question?
That question is usually an A4 question to do with UK poltics :/

The one that I think will come up is race is the most important factor that affects voting behaviour. You would say yes because of Blacks and Hispanics registering and turning out to vote. And no because of Geography, Gender, Religion and personality of candidate :smile:
Original post by hayleymcm
Thankyou! That's helped a lot :smile:

But, is the gernally prediction local government for this one?

i hope not :frown: i don't know my local gov essay yet :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 152
Hi, Can somebody help me please. For question C9 if it was to do with "participation in elections" or "limitations by the congress and supreme court". Can somebody please give me an idea or summary of what to write I have no idea what to do and help with the second one with most would be very much apprechiated, thank you for looking
I am so not going to do well in this exam! I am actually so scared. I need to gO and learn stv/ams vs Fptp!!!!!
Reply 154
Original post by scottish19
The last STV question came up in 2010 (which isn't that long ago) so I would be pretty surprised if that came up again so soon. AMS and FPTP seem a lot more likely.

Having a look, don't you think theres a possibility it could be PR vs FPTP?
Original post by yelhsa007
Having a look, don't you think theres a possibility it could be PR vs FPTP?

how would you structure the PR essay?
Reply 156
I really hope its powers of the president that comes up and not the influence of ethnic minorities on the vote, but it could be either i think. As for the local govt one, i better get my head down and memorise this! i think this is my worst topic area of modern studies! :frown:
Reply 157
For the president one, just go on to speak about how he is checked-

His powers that I have are-
Commander and Chief(war and treaties)
Power of appointment (appoints supreme court judges+ambassadors)
Legaslistive
- laws
-excetive orders
- vetos.
Impeachment
Midterm election - eg democrat lost in 2010 making it hard for Obama to pass laws.

If you need anymore details, I will be happy to help :smile:
Reply 158
Is PR when you discuss all 3 (stv / fptp and ams?)
Reply 159
i think what i would do was i'd do a 3-2
3 for pr : all votes count vs winner takes all in fptp
stv & ams give smaller parties a greater chance vs the domination of specific partied with fptp
ams & stv gives more choice to the voter vs fptp
2 for fptp: ams has no by-election facility whereas fptp does
fptp usually provides a decisive result compared to pr which doesn't.

hope this helps! got my teacher to go over it with me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending