The Student Room Group

Should I retake GCSE Maths to do Economics at University?

Hi there, I've just finished my end of years for year 12, I'm most likely going to be predicted A*AA for economics, poliitcs & history. However, I did not take my education seriously in Y9-11 and got a 4 in maths, I only learnt foundation not higher so retaking higher will be tough, most universities want a 6 in maths for economics degrees, I absoloutely love economics but I'm not sure its worth the hastle when I could just do history & politics without learning a bunch of GCSE content and trying that hard. Please let me know what you think I should do, I tried to do a higher GCSE maths paper to see how I'd do and I obviously didn't know 60% of whats in it due to taking foundation.
Reply 1
Original post by AhmedHelmyy
Hi there, I've just finished my end of years for year 12, I'm most likely going to be predicted A*AA for economics, poliitcs & history. However, I did not take my education seriously in Y9-11 and got a 4 in maths, I only learnt foundation not higher so retaking higher will be tough, most universities want a 6 in maths for economics degrees, I absoloutely love economics but I'm not sure its worth the hastle when I could just do history & politics without learning a bunch of GCSE content and trying that hard. Please let me know what you think I should do, I tried to do a higher GCSE maths paper to see how I'd do and I obviously didn't know 60% of whats in it due to taking foundation.

Firstly check if the unis you want to go to accept GCSE resits. Also I'm surprised you were able to take econ without at least a 6 in gcse maths but congratulations on your grades. Would you enjoy his&pol as much as econ? Don't study a degree just because you think it will be easy because you will likely end up with a low classification and have a miserable 3(+) years. If you take a gap year you could easily resit maths and get the grade you need. Also some unis may make exceptions but usually if they ask for anything above a 4 at gcse level it's because you need those skills aka you need maths skills for an econ degree. Think about what you actually enjoy and want to do because then it will be worth it in the end.
Reply 2
My college let me take econ because I had a 9 in eng lang & history, as well as an 8 in eng lit and good grades across the board, I haven't struggled at all with economics ngl but I enjoy history and politics as much as I enjoy economics I doubt I'd be unhappy doing a degree in those subjects, I've considered a gap year but since I'm considering a law conversion course, don't wanna be done by 23 tbh. I know Manchester would allow me to do economics and modern history with a 4 in maths however other universities aren't so lenient. I'll discuss it with my form tutor and decide in due course, thank you very much for your input though I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest