The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse biology may 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

One the topic of the genetic question -

I didn't want to post about small people being unattractive (I thought that would be too offensive for the marksheme). I said that there is no selection pressure for the world's population to be small, and that Achondroplasia is a mutation that is at a selective disadvantage. Dunno if that's correct or would get full marks. :confused:
Reply 201
Original post by Vince xD
I really didn't want to put that because it seemed really harsh - wouldn't want to get on the examiner's bad side. That was a really vague question though.

So what was your answer to that?
Reply 202
Original post by Hazbo
I know i might be opening up a can of worms here because people were all very divided at my school, on the yeast respiration question, was temperature the independent variable and rate of CO2 production the dependent variable, thats what i put anyway?!

Temperature = independent variable, as it was the factor changing the rate of CO2 production, which was reliant on this.

Original post by Asad14
So what was your answer to that?

Something to do with there aren't many dominant alleles around? I have no idea lol.
Reply 203
Original post by Hazbo
I know i might be opening up a can of worms here because people were all very divided at my school, on the yeast respiration question, was temperature the independent variable and rate of CO2 production the dependent variable, thats what i put anyway?!

I put that too because you could change the temperature but not the rate of CO2 production - that was up to the yeast!!
Reply 204
Original post by p!atd16
I put that too because you could change the temperature but not the rate of CO2 production - that was up to the yeast!!

brilliant, you've made my day!
Reply 205
Original post by crazyowlhead

I didn't want to post about small people being unattractive (I thought that would be too offensive for the marksheme). I said that there is no selection pressure for the world's population to be small, and that Achondroplasia is a mutation that is at a selective disadvantage. Dunno if that's correct or would get full marks. :confused:

I think you would probably get a mark for that, I think I put it is a selective disadvantage, but I also put something about people people with Achondroplasia not living as long/ to full sexual maturity.
Original post by own
I think you would probably get a mark for that, I think I put it is a selective disadvantage, but I also put something about people people with Achondroplasia not living as long/ to full sexual maturity.

It's just I didn't think anything else would seem plausible. I'm hoping for 2/3 :frown:

Hoping different comes up in the 2nd paper. Dreading Chemistry the most though.
The last genetic qs was really weird.
And looking at Chem from June 2011 and Jan 2012 it should be easy!
Reply 208
is anyones centre handing out papers guys?
Reply 209
Original post by Vince xD
It was biological control over pesticides.

Phew! Thank you! I thought I'd read the question wrong!
Reply 210
Ok so we've all done that paper now don't fuss over mistakes you may or may not have made cause its in the past. Time to look forwards.
Original post by g_l

What do you think will come up friday...people here have mentioned breathing/lungs, ecology and GM
I think nitrogen cycle, making beer or cheese or yoghurt,
anything on the heart/blood/circulation?
how bout smoking?
osmosis?
transpiration?
(probably not those 2 as it is only 1 hr..)
inheritance(eg codominance)

Anyone??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5801
Original post by Hazbo

LOL, of all the cryptic questions you're in doubt about the one question that couldn't have been any more precise. Temperature was the independent variable and rate of CO2 production was dependent, if I remember correctly. This is obvious, isn't it? Didn't anyone in your school bother to look up what "independent" and "dependent" variable meant? Because I can't believe that anyone could think that rate of CO2 production is being controlled and temperature monitored on that ... simple logic.
Original post by crazyowlhead

You didn't have to say "small people are unnattractive". You could say (and I did) that they "are less likely to find a mate and therefore pass on their genes". I think I said that it was therefore a selective disadvantage as well (word for word).
Original post by g_l
yeah it was weird lol
owell
What do you think will come up friday...people here have mentioned breathing/lungs, ecology and GM
I think nitrogen cycle, making beer or cheese or yoghurt,
anything on the heart/blood/circulation?
how bout smoking?
osmosis?
transpiration?
(probably not those 2 as it is only 1 hr..)
inheritance(eg codominance)
whaddya think...:tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App

It would be pointless to try and directly predict it ... I'd just revise everything.

Making cheese? How does that work?
What ecology is on the syllabus?

Codominance came up in January 2012, and there was genetics in Paper 1B this session, so I wouldn't bet on it coming up again, but I'd still revise it.
Reply 214
ok
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ZahwahPTTS
Hey guys!

So I found this guy on youtube who explains ALL the things you need to know from the specification:
http://www.youtube.com/user/click4biology/videos?view=1

And when they ask you to "describe an experiment you could do to find out......." you should use CORMS
Compare - Rang of value (independent variable)
Orgasm - species/size/age/sex...(controlled variable)
Replication - More than one reading
Measure - mass/ length/ units (dependent variable)
Same - temperature/ light intensity/ water (controlled variable)
THIS QUESTION COMES FOR 6 MARKS!

Hope it'll help :smile:

Are there any youtube vids like this for chem and physics? :smile:
Im doing triple science too. And I Have ECO also!
BTW for an example of biological control, what did everyone put? I didn't have any to hand, so I had to use spiders on snail farms :tongue:
Original post by Big-Daddy
You didn't have to say "small people are unnattractive". You could say (and I did) that they "are less likely to find a mate and therefore pass on their genes". I think I said that it was therefore a selective disadvantage as well (word for word).

Actually that seems like a very fair point. Oh well, can't change that now :smile:
Reply 219
Original post by Big-Daddy

What ecology is on the syllabus?

umm...i think like food chains food webs, pyramids of biomass/numbers/energy, carbon cycle water cycle nitrogen cycle...or is that the 'double' specification..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending