The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as free will.

After seeing this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1992649&highlight=obesity+and+depression

about why morbidly obese people are blamed for their condition unlike those suffering from depression I became rather frustrated at how ignorant so many people are about this.

I have heard people say things like how "paedophiles shouldn't be blamed for being attracted to children, however they are able to control how they act upon their impulses" but the truth is they can't. Just as those who are obese do not have willpower and have no more control over their condition than those suffering from mental illnesses do.

The truth is that we are a product of our experiences and our genetics. When we make a decision you need to think about what is actually happening. Our brain is producing hormones and chemicals which decide how we react to every situation, and the chemicals produced are based on our DNA and our environment. Humans have something called an epigenome which can change the structure of chromatin and the function of the genome, and unlike the genome the epigenome is affected by environmental factors. How could we possibly have any control over our environment or DNA??

This means that when an obese person is deciding whether they should have that donut, they cannot use their willpower to stop themselves if it is inherent in their genes and their epigenome to tell the brain to produce chemicals to make the decision to eat that donut. Many people of a healthy size look down on those with weight problems and say "I disciplined myself and refrained from letting myself get fat because I used my willpower", as if everyone else could have done the same, but no, they were just unlucky enough to inherit those genes and have the epigenome which told their brain to produce those chemicals to make the decision to eat all those fatty foods.

The argument here can be applied to many other situations like paedophilia as I mentioned earlier. (However, although I believe that paedophiles do not have control over their actions they should still be sent to prison for any crimes they commit against children to protect others, since it is written in the DNA and likely for them to offend again)

This is exactly the same as how if someone is suffering from a mental illness e.g. depression, their brain produces those chemicals which cause the illness.

This is what I am almost certain is true and other people need to realise this is the case. I would be interested if anyone could inform me of any flaws in my theory.

Edit: I just remembered watching a documentary about a boy with autism and it made me think about how people's behaviour is often excused if it can be blamed on a disorder and if it has a name. So for example this boy said things which may have offended people because he found it hard to read their emotions and empathise with them, and he found it hard to integrate in social situations. Of course he should not be blamed for his behaviour, but what annoys me is how if someone has not been diagnosed with a mental disability then they are blamed for their behaviour as if they can control it e.g. if someone has not been diagnosed with autism but they find it hard to interact with other people then they are blamed for not making an effort to be sociable, if other people can do it then why can't they etc. but no, they do not have any more control over it. It is inherent in their genes and epigenome, despite there not being a name for their behaviour such as aspergers. There are many similar examples.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is this not just some form of determinism? It's not new.
I agree to an extent, but people can certainly learn to control their actions. There is no reason why a fat person cannot develop the willpower to reject that donut and have a salad instead. It's not like they have no choice whatsoever.
Reply 3
Yes, yes the free will argument. Every thiest barges the theory just to reaffirm their own belief when the obvious answer is all so obvious.
You are right that obese people cannot control their eating habits. The show Supersize vs Superskinny tells the reality with the obesity crisis and also covers anorexia as well.

Food is used to comfort them, maybe something traumatic happened in their life and they couldn't stop eating to try to mask the pain.

But I don't think it is purely genetic. This thing can happen to anybody. Traumatic experiences can happen to you, me or the rest of the world and we have our own ways to deal with it. If its genetic, there's no cure. You can show them what is really in the fatty foods they love so much. Trust me, it's not pretty. You can show them what would happen to them if they continue their eating habits. That's what Supersize vs Superskinny does and aims to stop Britain becoming another Evansville.
Reply 5
You are correct insofar as there is no free will. I do not know if you are familiar with the works of the American neuroscientist Sam Harris? His blog posts and short book are most enlightening. I personally think that punishment is inherently immoral due to the deterministic/stochastic nature of consciousness, and therefore rehabilitation is the only possible option...

Thank you for raising the subject.
Reply 6
Original post by blu tack
Is this not just some form of determinism? It's not new.

Yeah, but I'm curious as to how this could be wrong.

Original post by like a boss
I agree to an extent, but people can certainly learn to control their actions. There is no reason why a fat person cannot develop the willpower to reject that donut and have a salad instead. It's not like they have no choice whatsoever.

How could they learn to control their actions? Remember their actions are written in their DNA, can they change that? If someone has "learnt to control their actions" then it was decided by their genes that they would learn to control them, the person themself is not independently doing it.
Reply 7
Original post by ApresAlkan
You are correct insofar as there is no free will. I do not know if you are familiar with the works of the American neuroscientist Sam Harris? His blog posts and short book are most enlightening. I personally think that punishment is inherently immoral due to the deterministic/stochastic nature of consciousness, and therefore rehabilitation is the only possible option...

I will have a look at that.
It would be very hard to decide whether punishment or rehabilitation is the right thing to do - rehabilitation could be a risk and cost time and money if the criminals mind is not susceptible enough for them to change their ways.
Original post by Ulgoo
Yeah, but I'm curious as to how this could be wrong.

How could they learn to control their actions? Remember their actions are written in their DNA, can they change that? If someone has "learnt to control their actions" then it was decided by their genes that they would learn to control them, the person themself is not independently doing it.

Let's say I am a fat person who loves food, and finds it very difficult to stop eating.

I could either completely disregard my health and just eat without any thought of the consequences, or I could try my absolute best to limit my eating. In reality people will choose an option somewhere in between those two. People have a conscious choice about how hard they will try to achieve what they want. If someone goes to weight watchers and pays for personal trainers etc. then they will learn to limit their eating. That isn't in their DNA is it?
I don't agree completely but I see where you're coming from and agree to an extent...my only real issue being your suggestion that paedophilia is in someones DNA. I don't believe that in any way, shape or form. I don't think someone is born a paedophile; paedophilia, in my opinion, is attributed to certain risk factors, like childhood trauma and serious mental illness, as opposed to someones DNA. I don't think someone is born with 'fat genes' either- obviously if they have, for example, an under-active thyroid, or other solid medical reason, then that's different but I don't think people are born with genes that make them want to binge eat.

I do agree that people don't have free will and are products of their experiences. All decisions we make, no matter how small, are influenced by other factors so I personally don't think we can call them autonomous decisions- which is why I don't think we have free will.

To be honest, I think trying to blame being fat (without a medical reason) on DNA is serious denial, same as blaming paedophilia on DNA. I'm talking from experience here of the first one (fortunately I'm not a paedophile!) as I used to be fat. No, it's not because my DNA stopped me having willpower or made me want to eat tons...it's because food gave me mini orgasms and I couldn't get enough of that chocolate cake :colone:. I'm not fat anymore and it obviously wasn't in my DNA.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is (sorry, I'm drinking whisky from a children's tipee cup whilst trying to maintain my train of thought) I don't think anyone has free will in any decision, all decisions have influencing factors, but I think blaming issues on genetics is a serious case of denial in most peoples cases.
Original post by ApresAlkan
I personally think that punishment is inherently immoral due to the deterministic/stochastic nature of consciousness, and therefore rehabilitation is the only possible option...

You have to consider that if we operate on the premise that we want to minimize suffering, then some form of punishment may be necessary to deter crime. A lack of societal punishment may become another environmental factor that leads to more crime, even if criminals have no free will.

Although, I agree we need to punish people a whole lot less, and rehabilitate a whole lot more.
Let's say I am a fat person who loves food, and finds it very difficult to stop eating.

I could either completely disregard my health and just eat without any thought of the consequences, or I could try my absolute best to limit my eating. In reality people will choose an option somewhere in between those two. People have a conscious choice about how hard they will try to achieve what they want. If someone goes to weight watchers and pays for personal trainers etc. then they will learn to limit their eating. That isn't in their DNA is it?

You are not the author of your thoughts, merely the witness to them. Admittedly it isn't entirely genetics, but also experience; I do not believe that the thread-started suggested otherwise. Everything is the result of nature and nurture.

Original post by Drapetomanic
You have to consider that if we operate on the premise that we want to minimize suffering, then some form of punishment may be necessary to deter crime. A lack of societal punishment may become another environmental factor that leads to more crime, even if criminals have no free will.

Although, I agree we need to punish people a whole lot less, and rehabilitate a whole lot more.

Indeed; I subscribe to hedonistic utilitarianism myself. However, punishment rarely works as it is supposed to, save for keeping threats away from society. Rehabilitation also does this, but what rehabilitation also is, is a method by which one can produce functional members of society from those who were insufficient previously. A combination of this and better universal education, I believe, will sort out a lot of problems. Thank you for your reply!
Reply 12

Original post by intermediary
I don't agree completely but I see where you're coming from and agree to an extent...my only real issue being your suggestion that paedophilia is in someones DNA. I don't believe that in any way, shape or form. I don't think someone is born a paedophile; paedophilia, in my opinion, is attributed to certain risk factors, like childhood trauma and serious mental illness, as opposed to someones DNA. I don't think someone is born with 'fat genes' either- obviously if they have, for example, an under-active thyroid, or other solid medical reason, then that's different but I don't think people are born with genes that make them want to binge eat.

I do agree that people don't have free will and are products of their experiences. All decisions we make, no matter how small, are influenced by other factors so I personally don't think we can call them autonomous decisions- which is why I don't think we have free will.

To be honest, I think trying to blame being fat (without a medical reason) on DNA is serious denial, same as blaming paedophilia on DNA. I'm talking from experience here of the first one (fortunately I'm not a paedophile!) as I used to be fat. No, it's not because my DNA stopped me having willpower or made me want to eat tons...it's because food gave me mini orgasms and I couldn't get enough of that chocolate cake :colone:. I'm not fat anymore and it obviously wasn't in my DNA.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is (sorry, I'm drinking whisky from a children's tipee cup whilst trying to maintain my train of thought) I don't think anyone has free will in any decision, all decisions have influencing factors, but I think blaming issues on genetics is a serious case of denial in most peoples cases.

I have edited the first post to add in information about the epigenome and a bit more about how the environment is responsible aswell.

Ok so you're saying people make a conscious choice to limit what they eat. Think about what is happening:
You make a decision and the frontal lobe of your brain is responsible for the decision.
How does your brain make the decision?
It produces chemicals/hormones which are accountable for the brain making the decision.
What causes these specific chemicals to be produced?
Your DNA, epigenome etc.
Do you have any control over these? No.

So the difference between you stopping yourself from eating unhealthy food and someone else carrying on eating it is that your genes and epigenome have told your brain to produce those chemicals to limit the food you eat, whereas this other person has different genes which tell the brain to produce chemicals to tell the person to carry on eating fatty foods. When you think you are making this conscious decision it is already written in your genes and you are not controlling them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
It's not just a factor of genetics.

All past actions affect current and future actions. There is IMO very little that depends on free choice. I do believe that choice exists, but it's not as free as most would like to think.
Reply 14
There is no free will, you are correct. You are making a large logical leap to saying people should not be blamed for being fat. A fat person is more likely to want to become skinny because their surroundings react adversly to them being fat. If society looks down on them, they are more likely to want to better themselves in the first place, they are more aware of the fact that what they are is incorrectly proportioned. Just because it is a deterministic fact, doesn't abosolve responsibility. Its just our responsibility as a society to dish out the correct motivation and surroundings for them to be fixed.
Reply 15
Arguments against free will are usually based on the human understanding of causation/ laws of physics etc. However, using this understanding in an argument against something implies that the world works in the way we think it does, which is not necessarily true. Thus, free will isn't necessarily impossible.

Essentially what I'm saying is possibility isn't restricted to conceivability.

I don't however believe that humans have free will in the strict libertarian sense, it is just not as clear cut as you think it is. We're led to believe that something cannot come out of nothing, but also that physical things cannot have an infinite past. Without some kind of abstractly existing deity, the existence of the universe entails that one must be false (I do not believe in such a deity). Essentially this means that something that a lot of people think to be impossible - must be true, why not free will?

P.S. OP should look at some studies as regards addiction, Bruce Alexander - Rat Park is a good place to start, casting on doubt on the powers of addiction on complex animals.
Reply 16
Original post by Ulgoo
After seeing this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1992649&highlight=obesity+and+depression

about why morbidly obese people are blamed for their condition unlike those suffering from depression I became rather frustrated at how ignorant so many people are about this.

I have heard people say things like how "paedophiles shouldn't be blamed for being attracted to children, however they are able to control how they act upon their impulses" but the truth is they can't. Just as those who are obese do not have willpower and have no more control over their condition than those suffering from mental illnesses do.

The truth is that we are a product of our experiences and our genetics. When we make a decision you need to think about what is actually happening. Our brain is producing hormones and chemicals which decide how we react to every situation, and the chemicals produced are based on our DNA and our environment. Humans have something called an epigenome which can change the structure of chromatin and the function of the genome, and unlike the genome the epigenome is affected by environmental factors. How could we possibly have any control over our environment or DNA??

This means that when an obese person is deciding whether they should have that donut, they cannot use their willpower to stop themselves if it is inherent in their genes and their epigenome to tell the brain to produce chemicals to make the decision to eat that donut. Many people of a healthy size look down on those with weight problems and say "I disciplined myself and refrained from letting myself get fat because I used my willpower", as if everyone else could have done the same, but no, they were just unlucky enough to inherit those genes and have the epigenome which told their brain to produce those chemicals to make the decision to eat all those fatty foods.

The argument here can be applied to many other situations like paedophilia as I mentioned earlier. (However, although I believe that paedophiles do not have control over their actions they should still be sent to prison for any crimes they commit against children to protect others, since it is written in the DNA and likely for them to offend again)

This is exactly the same as how if someone is suffering from a mental illness e.g. depression, their brain produces those chemicals which cause the illness.

This is what I am almost certain is true and other people need to realise this is the case. I would be interested if anyone could inform me of any flaws in my theory.

Edit: I just remembered watching a documentary about a boy with autism and it made me think about how people's behaviour is often excused if it can be blamed on a disorder and if it has a name. So for example this boy said things which may have offended people because he found it hard to read their emotions and empathise with them, and he found it hard to integrate in social situations. Of course he should not be blamed for his behaviour, but what annoys me is how if someone has not been diagnosed with a mental disability then they are blamed for their behaviour as if they can control it e.g. if someone has not been diagnosed with autism but they find it hard to interact with other people then they are blamed for not making an effort to be sociable, if other people can do it then why can't they etc. but no, they do not have any more control over it. It is inherent in their genes and epigenome, despite there not being a name for their behaviour such as aspergers. There are many similar examples.

Interesting points.

But this presumes that everything we do or are is controlled by biology and there is no room for independent thought.

That said, the basic existence of cause and effect limits free will. We only ever choice given how past actions affect us.
Reply 17
Original post by Ocassus
There is no free will, you are correct. You are making a large logical leap to saying people should not be blamed for being fat. A fat person is more likely to want to become skinny because their surroundings react adversly to them being fat. If society looks down on them, they are more likely to want to better themselves in the first place, they are more aware of the fact that what they are is incorrectly proportioned. Just because it is a deterministic fact, doesn't abosolve responsibility. Its just our responsibility as a society to dish out the correct motivation and surroundings for them to be fixed.

So are you saying both society and fat people are both to blame for them being fat?

If we have no free will society cannot control how they act towards others, and fat people can't control how they react towards their surrounding.
Reply 18
Original post by hamadaxan
It's not just a factor of genetics.

All past actions affect current and future actions. There is IMO very little that depends on free choice. I do believe that choice exists, but it's not as free as most would like to think.

Those past actions just count as environmental factors.
Reply 19
Original post by Ulgoo
So are you saying both society and fat people are both to blame for them being fat?

If we have no free will society cannot control how they act towards others, and fat people can't control how they react towards their surrounding.

There is no 'blame' because there is no objective position free of this deterministic will (atleast for us as humans).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending