The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 1 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm so confident with my performance in this exam. * I think I'll get around 70/80, so 115 + UMS.

What I did;

I got 2 ms^-1 for the terminal velocity one.
I said the graph didn't obey Hooke's Law because it wasn't directly proportional, it bent slightly, hence it can't have obeyed it.
I got something like 4.5ms^-1 and 64 degrees for the projectile.

However, one question that did get me was the pebble at the bottom thing...

I said because it had a larger radius, it had a greater viscous drag, hence the resultant force was less. This meant the acceleration was less than that of the sand particles, hence it took longer to reach terminal velocity. As a result, it reached the bottom first.
Reply 381
I really would like an unofficial mark scheme?

Do you know where I can find one?
Original post by Sagacious
I'm so confident with my performance in this exam. * I think I'll get around 70/80, so 115 + UMS.

What I did;

I said the graph didn't obey Hooke's Law because it wasn't directly proportional, it bent slightly, hence it can't have obeyed it.

I said because it had a larger radius, it had a greater viscous drag, hence the resultant force was less. This meant the acceleration was less than that of the sand particles, hence it took longer to reach terminal velocity. As a result, it reached the bottom first.

I thought i was the only person who said it didn't obey Hooke's law, aha :L
and i put pretty much the same thing for the pebble question :smile:
Reply 383
Original post by RebeccaTenney
I thought i was the only person who said it didn't obey Hooke's law, aha :L
and i put pretty much the same thing for the pebble question :smile:

it definitely doesnt obey hooke's law, i remember our teacher solved a similar question before
Reply 384
Original post by raheem94
We had the horizontal and vertical component of velocity, so we needed to just take the tan inverse of vertical component/horizontal component to get the angle.

Was the hook question of 4 marks?

If it was 4, then 1 mark should probably go for identifying it to brittle, the other to discuss that it doesn't undergoes plastic deformation as it snaps. Though i did wrote a lot for it but i don't remember it.

On the whole the paper was quite easy the jan paper was several times tougher than this, do you agree?

Yeah the paper was not very hard fortunately. Got to get ready for Unit 2, thats the hard part of AS physics :s-smilie:
Guys

So for the question about the SI units I explained everything qualitatively rather than quantitatively. What do I mean by that? well... I basically said what formula to use to obtain that value so for example when he said it was raised a meter I said, oh... it's GPE because then gave the formula.

How many marks, if any even do you reckon I've lost?
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone?
For the 6 mark question about the 1 newton apple and joule and watt:

Could you, instead of using SI units, state what each thing was (newton,joule,watt) and then explain how it is that?
For example, would i get marks for saying that a joule is the force when an object of 1 newton moves a distance of 1 meter, and so if the apple, being 1 newton, moves 1 meter, this is 1 joule. And then the same for 1 watt, if the apple moves the 1 meter in the second?
Original post by AGrumpyMole
Could you, instead of using SI units, state what each thing was (newton,joule,watt) and then explain how it is that?
For example, would i get marks for saying that a joule is the force when an object of 1 newton moves a distance of 1 meter, and so if the apple, being 1 newton, moves 1 meter, this is 1 joule. And then the same for 1 watt, if the apple moves the 1 meter in the second?

Id reckon you would because by stating that you are showing the examiner that you are aware of the formulas and you have explained it in words. Yeah Id reckon you'd get full marks..
Original post by Obscenedilemma
Guys

So for the question about the SI units I explained everything qualitatively rather than qualitatively What do I mean by that? well... I basically said what formula to use to obtain that value so for example when he said it was raised a meter I said, oh... it's GPE because then gave the formula.

How many marks, if any even do you reckon I've lost?

Yeah I did the same thing and I am sure we'd get full marks it was pretty basic question so dont worry:tongue:
Reply 389
do you guys think they would give a 60+ grade boundary for an A?
i mean, considering how easy the paper was...
Reply 390

That is probably correct but examiners are critical of the way you explain your answers. Did you use bullet points?
Original post by razmazterz
Id reckon you would because by stating that you are showing the examiner that you are aware of the formulas and you have explained it in words. Yeah Id reckon you'd get full marks..

Epic! thanks :smile:
Original post by bong
That is probably correct but examiners are critical of the way you explain your answers. Did you use bullet points?

No, just sentences as they seem to be obsessed with "using correct grammar and punctuation" lmao
is that bad?
Reply 393
Original post by Sagacious

What I did;

Thats exactly what i said for the pebble question. used the formula and talked about viscosity
Epic! thanks :smile:

I did what you did and I stated the formula's and expalined the linke because I had so much time ..how did you guys thought the timing of the paper was?
I didnt find any question ambiguous did you guys?
Just hoping the bouandries are not too high:L
Original post by razmazterz
I did what you did and I stated the formula's and expalined the linke because I had so much time ..how did you guys thought the timing of the paper was?

Only finished with about 2 mins left lmao
Reply 397
No, just sentences as they seem to be obsessed with "using correct grammar and punctuation" lmao
is that bad?

Lol, QWC doesn't mean you must use full on essay-style paragraphs. Just order your points logically for the unit 2 exam. Grammar/Punctuation should be pretty much a-given in every question
(edited 11 years ago)
Will I get marks for expressing the newton, joule and watt in base units?

I had no idea what the question was asking:confused:
Finished the paper with like 40 minutes to spare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending