The Student Room Group

iGCSE 2012 Chemistry Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sahajkaur
I think its the confusion because covalent molecules are neutral so the idea of attraction is probably confusing. That was such a non condescending and supportive thing to say just before an exam btw

So what's wrong with just learning "the positive nuclei are both attracted to the shared pair of electrons, so the electrons are held between them"? Sorry, but that's a major point not to have got straight until this late ... if he waited until 11 hours before an IGCSE to go on a forum and ask people to explain a pretty simple situation completely integral to the course for this exam, rather than sorting out at least weeks in advance with his teacher, he deserves my condescending.

I'm sorry, I will accept that it might have been out of order. I was just shocked by the fact that some people were throwing around analysis that even I didn't know and it surprised me that one of them then didn't know whether nuclei were positive or negative. It's not even a Chemistry thing - it's ultra-basic Physics. :redface:

Edit: Good luck to all anyway!
Reply 381
Original post by edex123
what can slag from the blast furnace be used for?

Road surfaces. Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by Big-Daddy
So what's wrong with just learning "the positive nuclei are both attracted to the shared pair of electrons, so the electrons are held between them"? Sorry, but that's a major point not to have got straight until this late ... if he waited until 11 hours before an IGCSE to go on a forum and ask people to explain a pretty simple situation completely integral to the course for this exam, rather than sorting out at least weeks in advance with his teacher, he deserves my condescending.

I'm sorry, I will accept that it might have been out of order. I was just shocked by the fact that some people were throwing around analysis that even I didn't know and it surprised me that one of them then didn't know whether nuclei were positive or negative. It's not even a Chemistry thing - it's ultra-basic Physics. :redface:

Edit: Good luck to all anyway!

It's not his fault that the person who explained it to him worded it so he misunderstood that she meant 'the attraction between the nuclei' if someone said that to you. You would be a little thrown too. Btw no one deserves any of your condescending. If I remember rightly I only said I found something easy and I was accused of being arrogant so I would watch what you say.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 383
Discussion open.

I'll start.

... I put (l) in the state symbol of hydrogen peroxide, and I think that they don't mark the state symbols in that particular question. Think I'll get deducted?
Reply 384
Original post by Shizzam
Discussion open.

I'll start.

... I put (l) in the state symbol of hydrogen peroxide, and I think that they don't mark the state symbols in that particular question. Think I'll get deducted?

I really hope they don't, I think I did that too.

Last question, the number of x. Did everyone put 7? Also has anyone got the paper so they can upload it possibly filled in?
Reply 385
Original post by adi19956
I really hope they don't, I think I did that too.

Last question, the number of x. Did everyone put 7? Also has anyone got the paper so they can upload it possibly filled in?

yeah x was 7
Reply 386
What about the question where it asked you why Hydrochloric acid couldnt be used instead of nitric acid?
it contains Cl- ions.

BTW Guys what about the SiO2 qs i think i messed up there! Stupid mistakes!
Reply 388
Original post by Quark_Assassin
it contains Cl- ions.

I got it wrong as well, however which one do you want to know? How do you think I feel, I left out the whole water of crystallisation question...(Q13). :mad: :frown: :bawling:
Reply 389
it contains Cl- ions.

I wrote it was covalent ... then the wording about it having a high melting point threw me off ... and I wrote it was ionic. STUPID ME.
Reply 390
For particle A in the SiO2 question, what did you guys put?
Original post by Coco406

Lol I put an electron, was just guessing at the time, then at first I thought the Sio2 was an ionic compound but did manage to change it and wrote that it was a giant covalent structure.

Thought this paper was much harder than the usual papers for Chemistry, seemed to be a lot on the test for ions and precipitates etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
It was an annoying test. What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
it was kind of tricky.. what did you guys get for the mass in tonnes thingy?
Reply 394
Original post by SupremeNunchucks
it was kind of tricky.. what did you guys get for the mass in tonnes thingy?

1.2 tonnes
Reply 395
Original post by Coco406

I put Silicon! Yes that was hardest Chemistry test to date. All the rest have been easier. I'm worried now because they're all getting harder, Bio and now Chem (something I didn't expect from what I thought to be an easy subject :/ ) So I'm crapping myself for Physics, which I find easy, but the questions are very annoying :/

Also I had no idea about why you add nitric and not HCl so I lost all those three marks :biggrin:

Also why does the Sand react with Calcium oxide or something?
Reply 396
Original post by ak2109
1.2 tonnes

yay same :biggrin:
Reply 397
it contains Cl- ions.

If you mean why did CaO react with SiO2, it is because it is a neutralisation reaction.
Reply 398
I put Silicon! Yes that was hardest Chemistry test to date. All the rest have been easier. I'm worried now because they're all getting harder, Bio and now Chem (something I didn't expect from what I thought to be an easy subject :/ ) So I'm crapping myself for Physics, which I find easy, but the questions are very annoying :/

Also I had no idea about why you add nitric and not HCl so I lost all those three marks :biggrin:

Also why does the Sand react with Calcium oxide or something?

Ions form a different ppt, showing different results.
Reply 399
yay same :biggrin:

:smile: Unfortunately I didn't see the whole water of crystallisation question, dropped 6 unnecessary marks there... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending