The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helloworld_95
I think I added up the lines on the perimeter which was 2y+y+3+4y+y+3+2y and then didn't add them up correctly so ended up with 20<9y+6<54 then subtracted 6 to 14<9y<48 then simplified it to 14/9<y<5 1/3

drop 2
Original post by jameslad
Mr M

Do you mark papers as a job or are you just a teacher?

or can you be both lol?

both, I set papers too but not in the uk
Reply 182
frhe graph in question 5i), isnt it in the 1st and fourth quadrants because root 1 etc can be + or - 1... etc...
Original post by KoalaKim
frhe graph in question 5i), isnt it in the 1st and fourth quadrants because root 1 etc can be + or - 1... etc...

1=1\sqrt{1}=1

1±1\sqrt{1} \neq \pm 1
Reply 184
Could you not argue that 'between' is actually exclusive? although i doubt they'll deduct marks either way.
Original post by Mr M
both, I set papers too but not in the uk

Wicked!!

So like are you given the Marking scheme when they tell you to mark papers?
Reply 186
Original post by Mr M
1=1\sqrt{1}=1

1±1\sqrt{1} \neq \pm 1

why? because

-1 * -1 is 1
and 1*1 is 1

I'm confused!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by Mr M
You could probably still get 4 or 5 marks here

That makes me breathe a sigh of relief... 100% certain I actually got the correct answer for the question I thought I was answering. :zomg:
Original post by FK_
Could you not argue that 'between' is actually exclusive? although i doubt they'll deduct marks either way.

Possibly, I think it will ok either way too
Original post by jameslad
Wicked!!

So like are you given the Marking scheme when they tell you to mark papers?

Yes but it isn't published to markers for a few days - I should point out I won't be marking this paper or I wouldn't be answering questions about it
why? because

-1 * -1 is 1
and 1*1 is 1

By definition. We say this is positive (even though numbers have two square roots). You might find this hard to believe but it avoids confusion!

If we want the other root we say 1-\sqrt{1}
For this reason the graph of y=xy=\sqrt{x} is different from the graph of y2=xy^2=x which is the complete parabola.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph+real++y%3Dsqrt+x

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph+real++y%5E2%3Dx
Reply 192
Original post by Mr M
By definition. We say this is positive (even though numbers have two square roots). You might find this hard to believe but it avoids confusion!

If we want the other root we say 1-\sqrt{1}

so does this mean that i won't get any marks?? because i drew it in 2 quadrants
so does this mean that i won't get any marks?? because i drew it in 2 quadrants

1 out of 2 if it looked like the second graph in my previous post
Reply 194
Original post by Mr M
1 out of 2 if it looked like the second graph in my previous post

i still dont really understand why, but thanks :smile:
Reply 195
Hi

If you put y=square_root of 5/x for question 5iii do you think you would get any marks at all ?

Thanks...
Reply 196

he's saying it's implied in the notation of the sqrt sign. when asked for sqrt(2), by definition, it means the positive root of 2. which is why we need the plus and the minus in the quadratic equation, otherwise it would have been implied and you would not need to do them.

I'll try one more time to explain.

If you are asked to solve x2=25x^2 = 25 the correct answer is x=±25=±5x=\pm \sqrt{25} = \pm 5

If you are asked to simplify x=25x=\sqrt{25} the answer is x=5x=5

The reason why is just that someone once decided that it would be best to define it this way and everyone (except for you!) agreed.
Original post by mcquitmp
Hi

If you put y=square_root of 5/x for question 5iii do you think you would get any marks at all ?

Thanks...

Probably 1 mark if it was square root (5/x)
Reply 199
Hi,

If you got y=2x - 5 for question 10ii would you get any marks. Not sure how I got it but I presume a caculation error somehow.

Thanks...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending