The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by koolkate
I was going to apply to St. Andrews and English unis but now I guess I can't apply to eng unis :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not? It'll look bad applying for Maths at Cambridge with a B in Higher, but you'll still be able to apply for it :smile: And, your results haven't came through yet :smile:
Reply 981
Original post by TheFOMaster
Why not? It'll look bad applying for Maths at Cambridge with a B in Higher, but you'll still be able to apply for it :smile: And, your results haven't came through yet :smile:

Ofc I am not going to apply to Cambridge, I want to go to Imperial. I know but I am getting a feeling that I messed it up :frown: anyways how were your exams? I bet your gonna ace yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ofc I am not going to apply to Cambridge, I want to go to Imperial. I know but I am getting a feeling that I messed it up :frown: anyways how were your exams? I bet your gonna ace yours :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is you're applying for? Is it Maths? Imperial is still pretty tricky with only a B... But don't fret on it now :smile: It's too early :smile:

My exams have been mixed tbh. I'm positive I have an A in Maths, Maybe a B in Biology, but likely a C and I'm sure I failed English :smile: Oh well!
Reply 983
What is you're applying for? Is it Maths? Imperial is still pretty tricky with only a B... But don't fret on it now :smile: It's too early :smile:

My exams have been mixed tbh. I'm positive I have an A in Maths, Maybe a B in Biology, but likely a C and I'm sure I failed English :smile: Oh well!

Yh I want to do maths wbu? Maths paper was quite tricky I just made some stupid mistakes :frown: hope they lower the grade boundary like last year. I think I'll get B/A in maths (if they lower the grade boundary), maybe a B in business (totally messed that paper up) and English is definitely a fail (especially critical essay) :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 984
Original post by Aay
Question 3 in 2008- I usually tension = mass x acceleration, the mass you use is the mass of the object being pulled, In this case you find the overall accelaration which is a=f/m --> 12/6 which gives 2, then do the t=ma, 2x2 which gives 4.

For 5 think about the rule of how momentum before = momentum after, calculate the momentum before using p=mv and then form an equation to find the velocity after

For question 12, you use the equation v2-v1(rf/r1) to find the output voltage, as its negative its a matter of basically looking at the graph to establish which one fits your calculated answer.

Not looked at the other papers properly yet if i know how to do it ill give you a shout, if im incorrect i apologise its just the way I do it.

So question 5, before: p = mv => 5 * 200 = 1000 and then I'm still not sure what to do next :/

Q. 12: Vgain = -Rf / Ri => -10/5 = 2
=> Vgain = Vo / V1
2 = Vo / 0.2
Vo = 2 * 0.2 = 0.4 so B :smile:
Yh I want to do maths wbu? Maths paper was quite tricky I just made some stupid mistakes :frown: hope they lower the grade boundary like last year. I think I'll get B/A in maths (if they lower the grade boundary), maybe a B in business (totally messed that paper up) and English is definitely a fail (especially critical essay) :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths :smile: I've had a look at it, I've seen worse, but I can see where people would screw up, especially on Paper 2 questions 2,3,6 and 8.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be thinking you've done bad in everything. Everyone does really. So just forget about it, and when you post in the results thread on August the 6th and you've done so much better than you thought I will say HA. :smile:
Reply 986
Maths :smile: I've had a look at it, I've seen worse, but I can see where people would screw up, especially on Paper 2 questions 2,3,6 and 8.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be thinking you've done bad in everything. Everyone does really. So just forget about it, and when you post in the results thread on August the 6th and you've done so much better than you thought I will say HA. :smile:

Yh and I am sure you'll get 3 As and when you'll post your results in Aug I'll say told you so :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 987
Original post by Jambo95

So question 5, before: p = mv => 5 * 200 = 1000 and then I'm still not sure what to do next :/

Q. 12: Vgain = -Rf / Ri => -10/5 = 2
=> Vgain = Vo / V1
2 = Vo / 0.2
Vo = 2 * 0.2 = 0.4 so B :smile:

Ill take a look when i get in, from what i remember you would make an algebraic equation for the momentum after, make it equal to the 1000 and solve for V was it?

& it would be negative 0.4 as its inverting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
Original post by Aay
Ill take a look when i get in, from what i remember you would make an algebraic equation for the momentum after, make it equal to the 1000 and solve for V was it?

& it would be negative 0.4 as its inverting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, oh yeah. Meant to put -ve and yeah, it is. Ta!
Original post by Aay
If you got the correct answer i.e value, and somehow got the incorrect direction when stating, would you lose a mark or half a mark?

As I said a vector answer must ALWAYS give the direction, angle, e.g. to the left, up or whatever (not +ve or -ve which are meaningless)- you will lose a mark or half maybe.
Original post by lovecupcakes
Anyone please tell me what's induced fission and spontaneous fission? And what is meant by stimulated emission and how amplification is produced in a laser? Sorry for the list of questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes induced fission (as opposed to spontaneous fission) means there must be a neutron involved in the LHS of the nuclear eqn.
This has nothing to do with stimulated emission of laser light; where electrons in excited energy states (upper ones) fall to relaxed (lower) ones by the action of a photon, one - photon in gives two identical (coherent) photons out per electron transition to the lower state - this is how essentially a laser works. You must know what acronym LASER stands for!
Original post by kylerfc
If the answer is something like 24000Pa then that is ok but you will lose half a mark if you leave an answer like 24562.3Pa as it is 'inappropriate' way of leaving your answer, they would it like 24.6kPa or something

Lets be clear here if the calculator spits out 24562.3Pa and you write this down then you won't lose any marks in the Higher (you would in the Adv. Higher though) . If you put down 24600Pa then thats ok to. If you put down 24000Pa you have rounded down by 1000Pa too many and you will lose marks then.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 992
Original post by tomctutor
Lets be clear here if the calculator spits out 24562.3Pa and you write this down then you won't lose any marks in the Higher (you would in the Adv. Higher though) . If you put down 24600Pa then thats ok to. If you put down 24000Pa you have rounded down by 1000Pa too many and you will lose marks then.

You sure, cause i was doing a past paper yesterday when i had an answer like 12345.6 and when looking at the answers i think it said deduct 1/2 a mark
Is anyone else doing revised higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can scan or up quality pictures of the exam up here - ill try to do the rough workings up as soon as.
As for Revised a lot of people are doing that.
The material examples and notes can be found at LTS here
Reply 994
If you can scan or up quality pictures of the exam up here - ill try to do the rough workings up as soon as.

That'll be great :smile:
Original post by humza100
You sure, cause i was doing a past paper yesterday when i had an answer like 12345.6 and when looking at the answers i think it said deduct 1/2 a mark

In the exam cover page it states vaguely...

15 Care should be taken to give an appropriate number of significant figures in the final answers to calculations.
However a marker can't log a SF error or sig. fig. error in the Higher m.i.
Where a diagram or plot is used then appropriate accuracy (within tolerance) will be required in the final answer.

Note in the Adv. Higher the accuracy rule is enforced as two-higher (up to 2 more sig.figs allowed) or one-lower (up to one less sig. fig in answer) - such a rule is NOT enforced in the Higher - here the rule is that the accuracy must not be worse than that expected by calculation, so e.g. R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2.0ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2.0\Omega is ok R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2\Omega would lose 1/2-mark ... if I write 1.999Ω1.999\Omega I should not lose any marks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 996

Thank you and I will upload the paper straight away when I get home :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 997
In the exam cover page it states vaguely...

15 Care should be taken to give an appropriate number of significant figures in the final answers to calculations.
However a marker can't log a SF error or sig. fig. error in the Higher m.i.
Where a diagram or plot is used then appropriate accuracy (within tolerance) will be required in the final answer.

Note in the Adv. Higher the accuracy rule is enforced as two-higher (up to 2 more sig.figs allowed) or one-lower (up to one less sig. fig in answer) - such a rule is NOT enforced in the Higher - here the rule is that the accuracy must not be worse than that expected by calculation, so e.g. R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2.0ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2.0\Omega is ok R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2\Omega would lose 1/2-mark ... if I write 1.999Ω1.999\Omega I should not lose any marks.

2007 Question 24b is the one that i am on about
Reply 998
R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2.0ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2.0\Omega is ok R=V/I=6.0/3.0=2ΩR =V/I = 6.0/3.0 = 2\Omega would lose 1/2-mark ...

It wouldn't. The notes above refer to the final answer. R=VI=6.03.0=2ΩR = \frac{V}{I} = \frac{6.0}{3.0} = 2\Omega is mathematically sound and meets the SF requirements of a final answer. Therefore, it will get full marks.
Original post by humza100
2007 Question 24b is the one that i am on about

I read you, they are applying the Adv.Higher rule I mentioned here in a Higher paper- I think this is wrong and doubt it be enforced, its always good practice though to keep your sig. figs within reason as some questions data are read from a table, plot etc.
The mi.s are not an exact science they are a guide to the markers judgement remember
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending