The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Is the answer to10 in mc b or e?
:biggrin:
Original post by halliday96
Is the answer to10 in mc b or e?

C in the Revised paper but E in the older NQ:

I wish people would ALWAYS refer to which paper they sat before asking questions!

Here's where the answers are up'd to:

Thread link to answers and papers by tomctutor here 1358 (TSR forum)

Now finished working on NQ Paper A and B worked solutions which are up tonight on the above post #.:work:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
C in the Revised paper but E in the older NQ:

I wish people would ALWAYS refer to which paper they sat before asking questions!

Here's where the answers are up'd to:

Thread link to answers and papers by tomctutor here 1358 (TSR forum)

Still working on NQ Paper B worked solutions which should be up by tonight on the above post #.:work:

Thanks for the MC answers, according to yours i got 17/20
And i think the majority of people do the normal higher and you need to just assume they are talking about the normal one unless they state its the Revised
Please quote this post link in any responses 1358

If I need to re-edit these answers I'll do it in this post right here,
So keep coming back for updates!

Ill try answers both NQ ordinary and NC Revised- please tell people what paper your talking about causing mayhem here!
Thanks you to Koolkate and to vboy100
I've done the Revised Answers as attached!

There is a sister thread to this paper at:
Higher Physics 2013 (27/05/2013)
- also completed the AdvHigher one now too at
Advanced Higher Physics 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

where is section B???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aClHvAiNn
where is section B???

Posted from TSR Mobile

NQ worked solutions all done now, link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42830458&postcount=1358!
(edited 10 years ago)
NQ worked solutions all done now!

I don't think it's there :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364548&page=8&p=42857939#post42857939

Here's a link to solutions that I posted in another thread.
Please quote this post link in any responses 1358

If I need to re-edit these answers I'll do it in this post right here,
So keep coming back for updates!

Ill try answers both NQ ordinary and NC Revised- please tell people what paper your talking about causing mayhem here!
Thanks you to Koolkate and to vboy100
I've done both the Revised and the NQ Answers as attached!

There is a sister thread to this paper at:
Higher Physics 2013 (27/05/2013)
- also completed the AdvHigher one now too at
Advanced Higher Physics 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Thanks so much for putting these up. For question 24 (b) (i) how many marks would i lose for adding on atmospheric pressure instead of taking it away?

Also do you have any estimates for the mark required for an A this year?
Reply 1588

According to your solutions, I got 91% :biggrin:, quick question though, for 22b should the angle not be 106 degrees, 344 would be going backwards?
Original post by nECS
According to your solutions, I got 91% :biggrin:, quick question though, for 22b should the angle not be 106 degrees, 344 would be going backwards?

344 degrees going anticlockwise from the positive x-direction, or 106 degrees going clockwise from the positive y-direction.

Both answers are good as long as reference is made to a specific direction.
Reply 1590
Original post by AtTheApogee
344 degrees going anticlockwise from the positive x-direction, or 106 degrees going clockwise from the positive y-direction.

Both answers are good as long as reference is made to a specific direction.

ah, cheers :smile:
Original post by tool shed
Thanks so much for putting these up. For question 24 (b) (i) how many marks would i lose for adding on atmospheric pressure instead of taking it away?

Also do you have any estimates for the mark required for an A this year?

You should have added it on in the original equation - is that what you mean?

Ptotal=Patmospheric+ρghP_{\text{total}} = P_{\text{atmospheric}} + \rho g h

Meaning:

h=PtotalPatmosphericρg\displaystyle h =\frac{ P_{\text{total}} - P_{\text{atmospheric}}}{\rho g}

If you didn't do that correctly then you'll probably get up to half of the marks for that question as long as you calculated Ptotalρg \frac{P_{\text{total}}}{\rho g} correctly.

The grade boundaries are impossible to estimate - this is decided by committee at the SQA once they have all the statistics for the performance of pupils across Scotland. But if you look at the external assessment reports for previous years on the SQA website you can work out an average of the grade boundaries and use that as an estimate for now.

Suffice to say if you get about 65 marks out of 90, you stand a very good chance of an A.
(edited 10 years ago)

on the normal higher question 23a dont you have to write in the absence of external forces?
You should have added it on in the original equation - is that what you mean?

Ptotal=Patmospheric+ρghP_{\text{total}} = P_{\text{atmospheric}} + \rho g h

Meaning:

h=PtotalPatmosphericρg\displaystyle h =\frac{ P_{\text{total}} - P_{\text{atmospheric}}}{\rho g}

If you didn't do that correctly then you'll probably get up to half of the marks for that question as long as you calculated Ptotalρg \frac{P_{\text{total}}}{\rho g} correctly.

The grade boundaries are impossible to estimate - this is decided by committee at the SQA once they have all the statistics for the performance of pupils across Scotland. But if you look at the external assessment reports for previous years on the SQA website you can work out an average of the grade boundaries and use that as an estimate for now.

Suffice to say if you get about 65 marks out of 90, you stand a very good chance of an A.

In the marking scheme Atmospheric pressure was taken away from the total pressure to give 4.12 x 10^5, but i accidently added it on to get 6.13 x 10^5 and got 61.4m instead of 41m.
Original post by humza100
on the normal higher question 23a dont you have to write in the absence of external forces?

You always have to say "in the absence of external forces" or something along those lines.

For example in 2010, question 22 (a) asked for the law of conservation of momentum, you got 1/2 mark for stating total momentum before = total momentum after, and the other 1/2 mark for stating in the absence of external forces or "in an isolated system".
Counting up my marks, see for the conservation of momentum questions is this right:

"total momentum before = total momentum after (unless no external forces)"
Original post by tool shed
In the marking scheme Atmospheric pressure was taken away from the total pressure to give 4.12 x 10^5, but i accidently added it on to get 6.13 x 10^5 and got 61.4m instead of 41m.

I see. Well, like I say, you might still get up to half of the marks - you won't get zero. At the very least you'll get 1/2 mark for using the correct equations, and at the very most I'd say you'll get up to half.
You always have to say "in the absence of external forces" or something along those lines.

For example in 2010, question 22 (a) asked for the law of conservation of momentum, you got 1/2 mark for stating total momentum before = total momentum after, and the other 1/2 mark for stating in the absence of external forces or "in an isolated system".

I remembered to, its just that it wasn't in the answers so I thought I wouldn't have got any marks for it. I actually wrote the Energy before is equal to after in the absence of external forces so would I only get half?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by humza100
I remembered to, its just that it wasn't in the answers so I thought I wouldn't have got any marks for it. I actually wrote the Energy before is equal to after in the absence of external forces so would I only get half?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those answers are not official - they're written by a TSR user. He has neglected that, but it should be in there for full marks.

But unfortunately I think you'll only get 1/2 mark because you didn't say TOTAL MOMENTUM - the question was about momentum, not energy, and you always have to say "TOTAL".

P.S. my version of the solutions are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364548&page=8&p=42857939#post42857939
(edited 10 years ago)
Those answers are not official - they're written by a TSR user. He has neglected that, but it should be in there for full marks.

But unfortunately I think you'll only get 1/2 mark because you didn't say TOTAL MOMENTUM - the question was about momentum, not energy, and you always have to say "TOTAL".

yeh, i wrote total but not momentum, it was one of those oh i know this, quickly write it down, but afterwards when looking over the paper I thought that i shouldn't have wrote energy, oh well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending