The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2012 <strong><font

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
for the polynomial question with f(x) and g(x), i got 2 values for B, 3 and -3.
i got exactly the same answers as you though, would i lose marks for this?

Drop one mark for the wrong extra value for B.
Original post by Mr M
I p

If i wrote for 9 part i, just -1 < y < 1 without converting it into logs or the real answer, do you think i'll get just one mark?

and for the question where you had to draw a sketch and explain about the trapezia, do you think i'll get any marks at all for drawing the sketch and trapezia and but writing that it was an overstimate as the tops of the trapezia are slightly above the curve.. ?

lol, wishful thinking

and for 7 part ii, i got totally the wrong answer, but would i get a method mark at all for recognising that you need to put sin sq x + cos sq x = 1, then subbing in sin and then sq rooting cos to find it, even though i got some totally random answer...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 342
Original post by jodiedoodles
Can't believe I made such a stupid mistake! Most of the marks come from the working though so hopefully only lost at the most 2 marks :smile:

Yeah hopefully!
Reply 343
Original post by Mr M
That isn't the correct way to do it. I suspect no marks but I could be wrong.

Doesn't that seem a bit silly though? Granted I didn't get the "exact" answer (I got a rounded answer), which was what the question specified, but are they allowed to dictate which is the 'correct' method? I was hoping to lose maybe 1 mark for having it rounded instead of in surd form.

Isn't it similar to dividing a f(x) by (x-a), when the question said show that 'a' is factor of f(x), and not getting any marks for it just because you didn't do f(a)?
Reply 344
Hahahaha I read question 1b as a - instead of +
That's 2 marks lost! Really hope I can scrape an A, hoping the A grade boundary won't be above 60/72 marks...

Anyone have Mechanics on the 31st?
Reply 345
Hi Mr M,

I just realised for 9b)(i) i put |log2y| < 1. (that's meant to be a modulus by the way, sorry if its unclear)

Then I put y<2. Could I potentially get the mark for showing I understood that it was meant to be 0.5<y<2 but not actually writing exactly that.
Original post by peachesandcream77
If i wrote for 9 part i, just -1 < y < 1 without converting it into logs or the real answer, do you think i'll get just one mark?

and for the question where you had to draw a sketch and explain about the trapezia, do you think i'll get any marks at all for drawing the sketch and trapezia and but writing that it was an overstimate as the tops of the trapezia are slightly above the curve.. ?

lol, wishful thinking

and for 7 part ii, i got totally the wrong answer, but would i get a method mark at all for recognising that you need to put sin sq x + cos sq x = 1, then subbing in sin and then sq rooting cos to find it, even though i got some totally random answer...

no marks

no marks

1 mark
Original post by ChrissM
Doesn't that seem a bit silly though? Granted I didn't get the "exact" answer (I got a rounded answer), which was what the question specified, but are they allowed to dictate which is the 'correct' method? I was hoping to lose maybe 1 mark for having it rounded instead of in surd form.

No it isn't silly. You didn't demonstrate the skills or knowledge required.
Original post by Naik100
Hi Mr M,

I just realised for 9b)(i) i put |log2y| < 1. (that's meant to be a modulus by the way, sorry if its unclear)

Then I put y<2. Could I potentially get the mark for showing I understood that it was meant to be 0.5<y<2 but not actually writing exactly that.

1 mark for that
Original post by Kabelan1
No one is believing me, but there is defiantly a printing error, in some of these papers, because most people who took the paper at my school defiantly had a "-", so they ended up with 1620x+1440x^3+64x^5, rather then what's on the unofficial Mark Scheme.

Maybe check with your examination officer, although the acripts will have been sent by now so there may never be anyway to know for sure, unless you orde yor original script on results day
is anyone doing stats on the 24th?
I am almost certain that on question 1 it asked for "(3+2x)^5 - (3-2x)^5" since I remember making the point of taking the negative value of each my "(3-2x)^5", and therefore got 1620x+1440x^3+64x^5. Also, when I went back to check my answers towards the end I would like to think I would have noticed that type of mistake, since it was something I preparing for during my revision (since it was a common mistake I used to make).

Just out of curiosity though, would there be any marks given for misreading the question (if it was in fact misread)? Just that I recall reading somewhere that if it was a genuine misreading, and didn't affect the difficulty (which I don't think it did) some marks would still be given.

Thank you very much :-)
For 3ii missed the pi symbol :angry:
Original post by BobGreggary
I am almost certain that on question 1 it asked for "(3+2x)^5 - (3-2x)^5" since I remember making the point of taking the negative value of each my "(3-2x)^5", and therefore got 1620x+1440x^3+64x^5. Also, when I went back to check my answers towards the end I would like to think I would have noticed that type of mistake, since it was something I preparing for during my revision (since it was a common mistake I used to make).

Just out of curiosity though, would there be any marks given for misreading the question (if it was in fact misread)? Just that I recall reading somewhere that if it was a genuine misreading, and didn't affect the difficulty (which I don't think it did) some marks would still be given.

Thank you very much

Definitely add - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2003552&page=18

Perhaps, but I know other people have faced the problem also, as well other issues involving the paper such as no "pi" on the 45pi. So if anything there could have been misprinting's where they handed out an older version of the paper to students as well as the newer version to others.
Reply 355
Original post by Mr M
No it isn't silly. You didn't demonstrate the skills or knowledge required.

Isn't the knowledge required the same knowledge required to get the correct answer though?
Reply 356
for question 3 i wrote the radian angle in a decimal place would i lose the mark and also for part two i used that decimal but i still i got 15 would i get 2 marks for that?
Original post by ChrissM
Isn't the knowledge required the same knowledge required to get the correct answer though?

No. You were supposed to demonstrate understanding of Pythagoras' Theorem (in traditional or trigonometric form) and the definitions of sin, cos and tan as well as appreciating the difference between exact and approximate values.
Original post by ChrissM

You didn't show an understanding of sohcahtoa, basically.
Original post by tazzrudy
for question 3 i wrote the radian angle in a decimal place would i lose the mark and also for part two i used that decimal but i still i got 15 would i get 2 marks for that?

You will lose the first mark as, again, an exact answer was required but you will be fine in part ii).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending