The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS GeographyUnit 1: Global Challenges

I haven't seen a thread for this... so I thought I would start one.

Anyone else doing this exam? how is everyone preparing for it??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This one's all about the case studies. I'm making a list of all facts, figures, examples I can use from my case studies.

Practicing the 10 & 15 markers are also key. :borat:
Reply 2
I don't think the problem is the content... I get worried that I wouldn't be able to finish the paper in time :/
and on top of that I've got so many other exam on that same week....
Reply 3
Yeah same as me actually, although I'm a bit worried I'll forget a lot of key things. I had an idea of doing the 10 and 15 mark questions first to get them out of the way with quality then do the rest of the paper.

I have C2 that morning too.
Reply 4
Original post by Kardy
Yeah same as me actually, although I'm a bit worried I'll forget a lot of key things. I had an idea of doing the 10 and 15 mark questions first to get them out of the way with quality then do the rest of the paper.

I have C2 that morning too.

urgh I have C2 on the same day as well... I prefer the world at risk questions better than the globalisation ones! I've tried doing the long questions first during my mock.. I still ended up missing a few small questions! I'll probably just keep practising... Are you going to take a whole A level of geography?
Reply 5
Original post by Killer_94
urgh I have C2 on the same day as well... I prefer the world at risk questions better than the globalisation ones! I've tried doing the long questions first during my mock.. I still ended up missing a few small questions! I'll probably just keep practising... Are you going to take a whole A level of geography?

Mhm, world at risk is nice and easy to remember. :biggrin: But yeah practice practice.

Yep, doing A2, but only because I want to drop another of my AS subjects. Sociology is way too boring.
Reply 6
Original post by Kardy
Mhm, world at risk is nice and easy to remember. :biggrin: But yeah practice practice.

Yep, doing A2, but only because I want to drop another of my AS subjects. Sociology is way too boring.

I'm definitely dropping geography.... it's too much especially because I'm doing bio, chem and math! I'll probably take a language up next year.
how long do we have for each section?
have you done any additional case studies apart from those in the textbook?
our teacher only gave us a few and I am worried that it might not be enough :s-smilie:
we have done:
hurrica jeanne haiti 2004
carribean savage storms (cuba, jamaica, haiti, dominican republic)
the phullipines
california
climate change arctic, africa
india: mumbai, dharavi
Los Angeles
+ case study on Unilever (TNC)

china
Reply 9
Original post by thediamonds
our teacher only gave us a few and I am worried that it might not be enough :s-smilie:
we have done:
the phullipines
california
Los Angeles

china

That's most of them.... but for section 2 globalisation you will need to know the case study of migration: Spain, UK, Poland (impacts, push and pull factors etc...)
Reply 10
Original post by sophieeesoho

the whole exam I think is 1 hour and 30 minutes....
Original post by Killer_94
That's most of them.... but for section 2 globalisation you will need to know the case study of migration: Spain, UK, Poland (impacts, push and pull factors etc...)

oh i forgot to write them, hopefully it will be enough...
Btw how much are we supposed to write in section B for 10- 15 mark questions? is a page/a page and a half enough for each?
I find the examiners reports really helpful as it shows top mark answers and where many students do poorly and how to improve they are on the edexcel website http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/geography/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 13
oh i forgot to write them, hopefully it will be enough...
Btw how much are we supposed to write in section B for 10- 15 mark questions? is a page/a page and a half enough for each?

10 mark question should be a about a page and a half.
15 should be a bit more, so maybe two sides.

we have done:
the phullipines
california
Los Angeles

china

Nah, don't worry. Compulsory case studies:

- Polish migration to the UK
- Migration to Spain
- Climate Change impacts on Africa
- Climate Change impacts on Arctic
- Hazard hotspot - California, US
- Hazard hostpot - The Philippines

Original post by sophieeesoho

I'd say save about 25 minutes for Section B. So you get about an hour for the first 6 questions. :redface:
Reply 14
I hope the California and Philippine case study comes up in the last section....
Reply 15
For the philippine and California case studies do wee need to know impacts of all the different types of hazards each one experiences?
There seems to be so much to remember no?
Reply 16
I loved this exam

I got 98% in this, so if anyone has any questions, just quote me :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Sadsnail
I loved this exam

I got 98% in this, so if anyone has any questions, just quote me :smile:

Well... (b) Explain why many megacities are currently experiencing rapid rates of growth. (15 MARKS).

How on earth do you answer that?!
Original post by Kardy
Well... (b) Explain why many megacities are currently experiencing rapid rates of growth. (15 MARKS).

How on earth do you answer that?!

Define Megacity... (population of 10million plus)

Then a example of developing country megacity...Mumbai > Rural to Urban migration/ bright light syndrome etc

Developed country example, London...better job oppurtunities/ is a global hub people want to be connected etc etc

Thats what I would do :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by bubblesOoO
For the philippine and California case studies do wee need to know impacts of all the different types of hazards each one experiences?
There seems to be so much to remember no?

It's best to know the main ones and to give an example of each of the hazards..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending