The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Global Summer School

Hi everyone,

I am considering to apply for the Engineering stream in Global Summer School. I am seeking for some academically intense and challenging summer experience in which I really get to learn something instead of relax and have some fun.

Is the Global Summer School worth it given the high cost? Really looking forward to hearing from previous attendants. Thanks!
Reply 1
I attended in August 2018. They put my photo in the 2019 brochure actually lol.
I didn't do engineering, I did physical sciences, so I can't say what that'll be like exactly, but we had a few days of lectures where we actually learned things that were new, (like i'm only learning them in school now in the second term of year 13), and then a few days on a presentation in the first week. The second week we did a team project that wasn't academically related to our subject as we worked in teams across the three streams but it was really interesting because we learned about like, design and worldbuilding and things. But the second week was not academically intense or challenging.
There's a lot of free time and time dedicated to doing very touristy things. But you basically have a nine to five day, plus lunch in the middle, and then they fill the rest of the time with things around London or around the university. The weekend in the middle is a weekend. Saturday was Brighton, and Sunday was Leicester Square and the talent show if I remember correctly.
The Global Summer School, for all the intensity of the application, what with the personal statement and academic record, is not heavily academically rigorous. But it is academic, just not in the way you might expect for the second week. The first week is like a taste of university teaching basically.
That being said, it was probably one of the best two weeks of my life. Highly, highly recommend it to everyone. Maybe not you though OP it doesn't sound like what you're looking for lol!
If anyone reads this who wants to do life sciences - it's barely anything but medicine. My roommate was in the life sciences stream and she wants to do biology or something to do with plants and it was pretty boring for her, so keep that in mind.

I uploaded my timetable for you to look at.
Week 1: https://imgur.com/sNUvd0c
Week 2: https://imgur.com/jFXa8zC
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by mciryam
I attended in August 2018. They put my photo in the 2019 brochure actually lol.
I didn't do engineering, I did physical sciences, so I can't say what that'll be like exactly, but we had a few days of lectures where we actually learned things that were new, (like i'm only learning them in school now in the second term of year 13), and then a few days on a presentation in the first week. The second week we did a team project that wasn't academically related to our subject as we worked in teams across the three streams but it was really interesting because we learned about like, design and worldbuilding and things. But the second week was not academically intense or challenging.
There's a lot of free time and time dedicated to doing very touristy things. But you basically have a nine to five day, plus lunch in the middle, and then they fill the rest of the time with things around London or around the university. The weekend in the middle is a weekend. Saturday was Brighton, and Sunday was Leicester Square and the talent show if I remember correctly.
The Global Summer School, for all the intensity of the application, what with the personal statement and academic record, is not heavily academically rigorous. But it is academic, just not in the way you might expect for the second week. The first week is like a taste of university teaching basically.
That being said, it was probably one of the best two weeks of my life. Highly, highly recommend it to everyone. Maybe not you though OP it doesn't sound like what you're looking for lol!
If anyone reads this who wants to do life sciences - it's barely anything but medicine. My roommate was in the life sciences stream and she wants to do biology or something to do with plants and it was pretty boring for her, so keep that in mind.

I uploaded my timetable for you to look at.
Week 1: https://imgur.com/sNUvd0c
Week 2: https://imgur.com/jFXa8zC

Hi, thank you so much for your detailed answer! That being said, it is probably a good opportunity for me to tour around and experience the style of teaching in the UK as I am from another part of the world. But I have also applied to an academically intense and challenging programme, so just hope that I can be accepted! Bty, I have already got the offer from Global Summer School. :h: Thanks again!
Hi,
Can some more people share their feedback about the Imperial Global Summer school? I am thinking of applying for physical sciences. Does it introduce the frontiers of physics to the attendees? Is it academically enriching? does it enhance one's presentation skills/Interview skills?
Reply 4
Original post by jassowal
Hi,
Can some more people share their feedback about the Imperial Global Summer school? I am thinking of applying for physical sciences. Does it introduce the frontiers of physics to the attendees? Is it academically enriching? does it enhance one's presentation skills/Interview skills?

No idea, I didn't go eventually.
Original post by jassowal
Hi,

Hi @jassowal,

My name is Rebecca and I'm a student at Imperial College London. I also worked for the Global Summer School last year. I would highly recommend the summer school - this first week is a series of lectures about topics you're unlikely to have encountered before. The second week, you are placed into groups and challenged to make a prototype to solve an important issue. I worked as part of the pastoral team and we ensure that you all have fun during activities and trips around London in the evenings. Apart from the academic rigour, it gives you an insight into what being a student in London is really like and allows you to make friends from all around the world.

Hope this is helpful,

Rebecca
Thank you for your help and insights, Rebecca.
Original post by hallzhuu
No idea, I didn't go eventually.
Its been a while but you've been referring to a more challenging program that you eventually chose over Imperial, may I ask which one was it ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending