The Student Room Group

Would you like Private schools to be banned? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elenchus
Really? What would that achieve?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Destroy the monolithic brain numbing monopoly that is government education.

The problem of education is that poor people do not have any choice, they are stuck with crappy government schools end of. If instead we gave poor people money to finance their own education they would all of a sudden have choice and there would be meaningful competition amongst schools.
Original post by TheIronist
So are you saying that taxation is theft?

I'd say that some tax is theft.
Reply 782
Why would you want to ban private school? I have only noticed this thread now and not read the above posts but will give my point of view.

I think banning private schools will be a VERY bad idea. It will mean that there will have to a larger number of government schools. This means that the government will have to spend MORE money supporting the schools. At this time this is not possible.

Even if u decide this then in some schools u will have a huge difference in the wealth of the students! for example wayne rooney's son could be admitted to one of the states schools and could be studying with a few poor kids. Now next I will hear that the those kids are jealous that Rooney's kid comes to school in a Bentley whilst they come to school in a ford.

Everyone is entitled to an education. That is the bare minimum. Anything else u need to pay. It is a better idea if the country can try and improve the state school system.
Reply 783
Here's an idea; lets improve state education and healthcare so much that they actually become better than their private counterparts!

All these private schoolers wanting to ban state schools. The irony of it.
Reply 784
Firstly, they do try and improve state schools - Private schools have little impact upon State education.
Secondly, you take away the Private School and they'll just get a tutor. Either way, they can use money available to them to create an inequality. If you try and ban Tutors (which you really cannot do) then they'd simply find a way to use their resources to ensure a safer / higher level of education.

Banning Private Schools ultimately would be futile, by all means try and improve the State education but do not pretend that Private Schools inhibit this in any real way.

Also, what about fairness (arguably justice) for those who are more intelligent (this applies to both State and Private), being in a mixed ability group seriously diminishes the quality of education (pace / depth) that the more intelligent require. A Private School can often reduce the intellectual disparities offering a fairer education for all. If you had disruptive and less intelligent people bringing down the entire class then you wouldn't have a just system. Nor a productive one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 785
Original post by de_monies
You do realise that there are many state schools that perform better than private schools? Though of course, it tends to be that most private schools outperform most state schools

Of course, many private schools are nothing special and aren't particularly academic. The thing that people don't realise about the top private schools is that it's not just about 'omg moar A*s' (although they normally do perform well) but it's about the extra-curricular activities, the ethos, the individuality and the atmosphere. This is why I'm not sure the current grammar schools can ever match the quality of education at the public schools. However, perhaps these new schools like the West London Free School will try to compete.

Also, I think you'll find that most of the brilliantly performing state schools are grammar schools or have selective admissions. It's a shame that these aren't favoured over the new academies being built. Many many comprehensive schools really aren't too good - combination of poor management by the school and poor guidance by the parents.
If you can't buy advantages, what the **** is the point of having money?
Original post by GdotL

Also, I think you'll find that most of the brilliantly performing state schools are grammar schools or have selective admissions. It's a shame that these aren't favoured over the new academies being built. Many many comprehensive schools really aren't too good - combination of poor management by the school and poor guidance by the parents.

Mine was an ex-grammar school and annoyingly has not turned itself in to an academy, though because of the area, it still remains a good school
Original post by de_monies
It's a human right that you don't want to be a human right. That's the conclusion that we can draw from your statement. The fact of the matter is, that whatever gov't is in power (except perhaps from the BNP), they'll follow the UN human rights charter.After all,they gave the world "universal human rights"

The UN has much more say than you, and you basically proved yourself wrong in the first sentence. Article 25 and article 26 clearly show that healthcare and education are human rights

And what exactly is wrong with them being human rights? The whole point of those human rights is that you're not going to be denied healthcare/education because of your religion, race, colour, gender etc... or just the fact that the school/hospital/gov't doesn't like you. Private hospitals can charge from as soon as you're born, and schools can charge after primary school. The only thing that schools can really discriminate on are your intelligence, catchment area and if it's a private school; how much money you have

What exactly is wrong with those human rights?

How could anyone disagree with the mighty UN? Healthcare is a human right according to the UN, I do not agree with them. Why is it so shocking I disagree with the UN on something? I don't trust the UN anyway, they have been corrupt from the beginning.

I know certain organizations and plenty of people consider healthcare and education as human rights. Of course these organizations have more say than me. Why is that surprising? I am individual, the UN is a huge organization.

I did not prove myself wrong. I gave my opinion which conflicts with the opinion of the UN.

Healthcare and Education are not human rights. I do not think goods and services are human rights. Education and Healthcare are services.
Original post by muddywaters51
How could anyone disagree with the mighty UN? Healthcare is a human right according to the UN, I do not agree with them. Why is it so shocking I disagree with the UN on something? I don't trust the UN anyway, they have been corrupt from the beginning.

I know certain organizations and plenty of people consider healthcare and education as human rights. Of course these organizations have more say than me. Why is that surprising? I am individual, the UN is a huge organization.

I did not prove myself wrong. I gave my opinion which conflicts with the opinion of the UN.

No you said that it's not a human right, and the guys that even made the term "human right" up were the UN, so education and healthcare are human rights

What you could have said is that you don't agree that they should be human rights. The fact of the matter is that they ARE human rights and you're not going to stop that

Healthcare and Education are not human rights.

But they ARE human rights. They haven't stopped being human rights. The only thing that you can really say is "I disagree with the fact that they are human rights" The fact of the matter is that most countries will consider them to be human rights, and the guys who made the whole term "human rights" consider them to be a basic right

I do not think goods and services are human rights.

Education and Healthcare are services.

Education and healthcare might be a service, but they are considered human rights. Why exactly would you want to deny education and healthcare? They don't say that healthcare has to be free, and they don't say that education has to be free past primary school. Just because it's a human right it doesn't mean that you can't charge for it... I am actually in favour of private schools.

What exactly is wrong with that? That's the question that I pose to you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 790
Guys I think you're forgetting that it's human nature to want the beat for yourself and those close to you. If state education is not up to scratch and you, yourself, have enough money for private schooling, would you honestly say that u wouldn't do so? It's a competitive world out there, and if private eduction gives my child better footing, then I would have no qualms going private.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I go to a private 6th form and it does not discriminate against students from less privileged backgrounds. I worked damn hard to get my place there and I received a 95% reduction on fees.
I also think that if people have worked hard to earn their money, they're entitled to spend it on what they like - be that private education or private healthcare or shoes.
Reply 792
Ban private schooling? And subject even more children to what is known as 'state schooling'? God, I think not! I would have grabbed the opportunity to go to a private/boarding school any day and would aspire my children to go there too.
Reply 793
Original post by billydisco
To make up for the lack of work they did at school...... think about it.

All the poor people I know messed about at school and didnt achieve, they now work hard. The people I know who did work hard now have jobs where they earn a lot of money and can relax. Six years of working hard gave them 30 years of a comfortable life....

Conversely, the vast majority of the poor people I know did very well at school and a lot of them even went on to be university educated.

There's a clear middle class arrogance on TSR at times and its worrying when people say the poor are poor because they are lazy/stupid/couldnt be bothered to try hard at school. Think about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
If private schools are "better" than public schools, then public schools should be improved rather than to have to rely on private education.

If the excuse for private schools is used that it's "better suited" for some children, then the government should strive to make public schools that cater to everyone's needs rather than make the parents have to rely on private schools.

There's no excuse why some people should receive better education than others simply because they have more money. In the past it used to only be the rich who could get education at all (or poor people with scholarships). Now that everyone is eligible for education, the focus should be on the quality rather than quantity.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
I'd say that some tax is theft.

So what was all this business about taking money from people without their consent? If you support certain taxes, you do believe that we should take money from some people without their consent.
Reply 796
Original post by Dragonfly07
If private schools are "better" than public schools, then public schools should be improved rather than to have to rely on private education.

If the excuse for private schools is used that it's "better suited" for some children, then the government should strive to make public schools that cater to everyone's needs rather than make the parents have to rely on private schools.

There's no excuse why some people should receive better education than others simply because they have more money. In the past it used to only be the rich who could get education at all (or poor people with scholarships). Now that everyone is eligible for education, the focus should be on the quality rather than quantity.

This post is full of mistakes.
Original post by ah.meh
This post is full of mistakes.

Name them.
Reply 798
1) Public schools a sub-group of private schools. what you meant was state schools.
2) A large proportion of public schools (private schools) were set up to educate the poor.

there are two that you got wrong. Basically your whole post.
Original post by Adman32
Conversely, the vast majority of the poor people I know did very well at school and a lot of them even went on to be university educated.

There's a clear middle class arrogance on TSR at times and its worrying when people say the poor are poor because they are lazy/stupid/couldnt be bothered to try hard at schoolI know. Think about it.

Buying an advantage, educationally speaking, is a right that runs deep though through the conservative ethos. You can argue until you're pink in the face and and it wont make even the slightest bit of difference. I'm always quite uncomfortable with it because it tends to be built around the notion that 'I or my family' has achieved this and there's nothing to stop you doing the same, which so clearly isn't true.

I'm not criticising anyone for what they have achieved themselves, or what has been passed onto them. I went to a **** failure of a comprehensive and eventually have gone to to a decent Uni as a mature student, via access, after working and studying full time for a year - I know than people can achieve things through hard work.

It just strikes me as extremely sad that the people, or rather that the children that start their lives with the least opportunities are then schooled on a completely un-level playing field. The seems principally wrong to me when we're talking about school day education, and that's something that i'm probably never going to feel comfortable with.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending