The Student Room Group

Can I be a teacher with tattoos

I’ve covered from neck to feet but I’ve been covered up as a pub manager for a few years. I’ve tutored mathematics but I feel like I would be disqualified from teaching

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I honestly don’t know, but if you can make them hidden at work, you would be ok.
Things might be more relaxed nowadays but you are supposed to bring a professional vibe to it.
An ex of mine had her smaller tattoos lasered off, not cheap.

Obviously if you have “love and “hate” tattoos on the knuckles, or spider webs on your face you’ll have a bit of a problem.
Original post by halyckyi
I’ve covered from neck to feet but I’ve been covered up as a pub manager for a few years. I’ve tutored mathematics but I feel like I would be disqualified from teaching

Hello @halyckyi

Nope - you are NOT disqualified from being a teacher due to your body art. You would need your GCSE's, (Eng/Maths L4/C+, and a science were you to want to teaching in Primary) and a degree to do a teacher training course, that would award you with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)

There will be some course providers and school that may not consider you as an applicant, but they will be in a minority, so do sufficient research before applying.

The Get into Teaching team can help you with an application if you'd like!

All the best, Jane :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @halyckyi

Nope - you are NOT disqualified from being a teacher due to your body art. You would need your GCSE's, (Eng/Maths L4/C+, and a science were you to want to teaching in Primary) and a degree to do a teacher training course, that would award you with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)

There will be some course providers and school that may not consider you as an applicant, but they will be in a minority, so do sufficient research before applying.

The Get into Teaching team can help you with an application if you'd like!

All the best, Jane :smile:

This -----^

Most schools have fairly strict professional dress codes but if a shirt collar and tie will cover most of it up I can't see any problems. It's one of those thorny issues that ultimately has no teeth. You can't discriminate against someone because they have a tattoo.
Original post by hotpud
You can't discriminate against someone because they have a tattoo.

Sure you can. Having a tattoo isn't a protected characteristic. Whether it would be reasonable not to give someone a job because they have tattoos is up for debate, but it's certainly lawful. And that is important, because as much as some of us on here can rubbish the idea, it's important for the OP to realise and acknowledge that there are people and schools out there would be do that, and those people may, at some point, prevent the OP from getting a job. However, I do agree that the number of such people should be far less nowadays, and certainly in a small minority providing the tattoos can be entirely covered, and even mostly covered providing what is visible is tasteful (again, a subjective assessment). But the OP would certainly not be disqualified from teaching, and unless the tattoos cannot be covered up to a large extent, I don't see why they would choose to not to pursue a teaching career because of their tattoos.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Sure you can. Having a tattoo isn't a protected characteristic. Whether it would be reasonable not to give someone a job because they have tattoos is up for debate, but it's certainly lawful. And that is important, because as much as some of us on here can rubbish the idea, it's important for the OP to realise and acknowledge that there are people and schools out there would be do that, and those people may, at some point, prevent the OP from getting a job. However, I do agree that the number of such people should be far less nowadays, and certainly in a small minority providing the tattoos can be entirely covered, and even mostly covered providing what is visible is tasteful (again, a subjective assessment). But the OP would certainly not be disqualified from teaching, and unless the tattoos cannot be covered up to a large extent, I don't see why they would choose to not to pursue a teaching career because of their tattoos.

For the most part a collar or high neck jumper in combination with my hair would cover quite a bit. Thick tights/ trousers and long sleeves solve other problems. Genuinely most of my colleagues don’t know how heavily tattooed I am
Original post by halyckyi
For the most part a collar or high neck jumper in combination with my hair would cover quite a bit. Thick tights/ trousers and long sleeves solve other problems. Genuinely most of my colleagues don’t know how heavily tattooed I am

Needing to wear trousers or long sleeves to cover tattoos isn't unusual and isn't a problem. Needing a combination of a collar and (presumably long) hair to cover the rest is a little less common, but in practice it's all about what is visible. When you say "quite a bit" I'm not clear on whether everything is covered when you take those steps, or whether some tattoos are still on show. It seems like some are still visible, in which case as I say, it depends on what it is as to how much of an issue it causes. Unless it's particularly egregious though, I still don't think it should stop you pursuing this career.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Needing to wear trousers or long sleeves to cover tattoos isn't unusual and isn't a problem. Needing a combination of a collar and (presumably long) hair to cover the rest is a little less common, but in practice it's all about what is visible. When you say "quite a bit" I'm not clear on whether everything is covered when you take those steps, or whether some tattoos are still on show. It seems like some are still visible, in which case as I say, it depends on what it is as to how much of an issue it causes. Unless it's particularly egregious though, I still don't think it should stop you pursuing this career.

I have some flowers on neck and brushstrokes on my hands so it’s not the most egregious
Reply 8
I'm not heavily tattooed, but I have a large one on one lower arm and a small one on the other; I'm booked in for a new one in February with the plan of at least one arm becoming a full sleeve. I'm a Food Tech teacher, so my arms are always on show due to needing to wash up and specific cooking techniques. My current school has no issues, and I checked at my interview whether I'd need them to be covered - I was told no and that the students would love them...and they do.

One of my placement schools preferred me to have them covered around the school, so I just shoved a blazer on when I left the classroom.

Do not let it stop you from applying; just be prepared to have to make adjustments to what you wear depending on the schools you work in.
It's not outside of the realm of possibility. I had an art teacher who had a neck tattoo (so very visible - and he also wasn't the type to wear a buttoned up shirt and tie either) in school, and this was...some time ago, when that might've been more of a prevalent bias. Of course maybe it was more par for the course with art teachers!
Reply 10
I am heavily tattooed and I never had a problem in school. A lot of mine are quite 'scary' (wrathful deities, they're all religious tattoos) and it was never a problem in school.
(edited 4 months ago)
These last three replies make the point quite nicely. Basically, as much as there is always the risk of someone taking against you for it, there's no reason it should stop you pursuing this career path.
Original post by landroversales
I think a dive bartender is a great career for you...

Tattoos are a form of behavior. Same as a bumper sticker. Vandalizing your body is your choice. Hiring you is my choice. I don't hire people with tattoos.

We say:

"Thank you for interviewing with us today. We are in the process of selecting candidates for the position. Someone may contact you for a followup interview. We will keep your resume on file and let you know"

Can you guess where your resume goes after you leave the office?

Yup. Thats right ...

How would what happens in the world of Land Rover sales be relevant to our thread starter here? We've already had several current teachers respond.
Original post by Admit-One
How would what happens in the world of Land Rover sales be relevant to our thread starter here? We've already had several current teachers respond.

Who implied it was only applicable to the world of Land Rover sales?
Who implied it was only applicable to the world of Land Rover sales?

Well, you gave a specific example of a faux acknowledgement letter that you would send to someone with tattoos who wanted to be employed in your sector. A few respondees have already commented as to how they're likely to be considered in the specific field that the OP here is interested in.

Have you worked in teacher recruitment?
I just had my comment deleted on another thread.

Please continue with your scarecrows, ad homins, narratives, frames, and labels ...

Unfortuantely for you, we live in the real world. So when you are finished I can provide you with real reasons. Or you can bury your tattooed head in the sand and ban me from commentig this website. As it's "for the greater good".

Regardless of a ban, myself and much larger percentage of the population than you know, will continue to covertly discrimate against tattoos in hiring, rehiring, vendor hiring (depending on job), client relations, and internal promotions.

Regardless of your merits

And before you start talking what-ifs about a tattooed a car salesmen of the month - I can assure you it doesn't happen.
Original post by Admit-One
Well, you gave a specific example of a faux acknowledgement letter that you would send to someone with tattoos who wanted to be employed in your sector. A few respondees have already commented as to how they're likely to be considered in the specific field that the OP here is interested in.

Have you worked in teacher recruitment?

And you assumed it only applies in the world of Land Rover sales.

Since when is discrimination limited to a specific industry?
And you assumed it only applies in the world of Land Rover sales.

Did I? Your first reply is very specific about what would happen if you interviewed someone with tattoos. I don't think the OP is considering prestige car sales as a fallback, so I think your experience is less relevant than the previous replies. I don't think that's an especially controversial take.
Since when is discrimination limited to a specific industry?

I don't recall saying that it was. Or you saying it either for that matter.
Fair enough.

I don't know anything about the type of teaching in the OP, type of school, supply vs. demand for qualified teachers, if a government job (teaching at prison) or private sector job. Nor do I know about the product being offered to the students, or what power the students have in accepting or determining the quality of the teacher (rating professors). The turnover rate of students in the teachers class etc.

What I do know is you're dealing with the general public. Not having tattoos won't hurt you. Having tattoos will only work against you.

Life is hard enough, without tattoos. Why shoot yourself in the foot? Why give yourself a disadvantage?
(edited 2 months ago)
Fair enough.

I don't know anything about the type of teaching in the OP, type of school, supply vs. demand for qualified teachers, if a government job (teaching at prison) or private sector job. Nor do I know about the product being offered to the students, or what power the students have in accepting or determining the quality of the teacher (rating professors). The turnover rate of students in the teachers class etc.

What I do know is you're dealing with the general public. Not having tattoos won't hurt you. Having tattoos will only work against you.

Life is hard enough, without tattoos. Why shoot yourself in the foot? Why give yourself a disadvantage?

Advising people not to get tattoos is all well and good, except the OP already has tattoos, so that doesn't help them. You also accept that you don't know anything about the sort of job that the OP is applying for. You don't seem to like teachers at all though, judging from your reply in the other thread. It seems you've created just to exercise some anonymous anger on the internet. I'm not even convinced that you're in the UK, because your use of language (resume, professors and, in the other thread you've responded to, college to mean university) suggests to me that you're American, and you're therefore probably sitting in front of a screen on the other side of the Atlantic typing your replies. Which is fine. Entirely a matter for you how you spend your time. I'm not sure on what basis you possibly think your replies are of any relevance to the OP at all though, let alone helpful. It perhaps shows them that there are always people who will irrationally discriminate against those with tattoos, as indeed there are people who will irrationally (and sometimes unlawfully) discriminate against people for a whole host of reasons. But the OP knew that already without the very able demonstration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending