The Student Room Group

Would you like Private schools to be banned? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beepbeeprichie
Because I believe the poor shouldn't steal from the rich?
Just like the rich steal the hard earn rewards the poor produce, through serious graft and labour. How about tax havens and avoidance too? how about MP expenses? Take your rose tinted glasses off and see the reality of society please, thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MrLuketastic
I've commented on threads like this before, but I will say it again.

Because you go to a private school does not mean you are rich. I go to a private school on a 100% scholarship. I'm about as far from affluent as you can get. I am there through my own hard work. To say that only the rich get good university places is untrue, as it is on intellectual ability - I will prove this over the next year or so.

I agree that state schools need more input, but frankly, I'm sick of reading stigma towards private schools.

Rant over. Bring on the negs.

:congrats:

I'm going to a private school as well on a 100% scholarship too.
I really hate how people always speak **** about private schools. Improve the state system first or at-least cater for both the high achieving students and the lower achieving students.
Reply 942
Original post by MrLuketastic
I've commented on threads like this before, but I will say it again.

Because you go to a private school does not mean you are rich. I go to a private school on a 100% scholarship. I'm about as far from affluent as you can get. I am there through my own hard work. To say that only the rich get good university places is untrue, as it is on intellectual ability - I will prove this over the next year or so.

I agree that state schools need more input, but frankly, I'm sick of reading stigma towards private schools.

Rant over. Bring on the negs.

I also go to a private school and on a scholarship and bursary. To make it sound like there is an equal number of rich and poor students is absurd. The vast majority of students in a private school come from wealthy families.
And just because your on a scholarship doesn't mean you're something special which you make it out to be. I know a girl who was on a 100% scholarship, she got UUU in her AS levels and is now resitting the year and expecting CCD. How the sponsor is still supporting her I don't know.
While we're at it, why not ban private healthcare,private dental care and elitist universities?
Original post by zara55
What does stealing have to do with it? Libertarian nonsense. Taxation is a legal and political act of a democracy, not theft.

Taxation is legal!? NEVER!

And I'm not a democrat. What is right is right independent of what others say is right.

Most taxation is morally equivalent to theft or theft itself.
Original post by Reformed2010
Just like the rich steal the hard earn rewards the poor produce, through serious graft and labour. How about tax havens and avoidance too? how about MP expenses? Take your rose tinted glasses off and see the reality of society please, thank you.

Lol. The rich steal nothing (theft is something like 'taking someone else's property without their consent'). People working in factories rarely own anything they make. And when they do they sell it (i.e. give consent to transfer the property.

As for tax havens it seems to me that the poor are stealing from the rich by virtue of the insane income tax rates they pay compared to the poor.
I'll tell you what should be banned. people just coming into a thread and saying what they reckon without having read the thread. People are saying the same things over and over and over. A three page debate has stretched to a forty eight page mess that's made no progress beyond based four or five arguments/counters.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 947
Original post by Mister Dead
I'll tell you what should be banned. people just coming into a thread and saying what they reckon without having read the thread. People are saying the same things over and over and over. A three page debate has stretched to a forty eight page mess that's made no progress beyond based four or five arguments/counters.

Your right, and after reading 48 pages, at least I made a post that had facts in it.
Reply 948
Lol. The rich steal nothing (theft is something like 'taking someone else's property without their consent'). People working in factories rarely own anything they make. And when they do they sell it (i.e. give consent to transfer the property.

As for tax havens it seems to me that the poor are stealing from the rich by virtue of the insane income tax rates they pay compared to the poor.

Do you get your orders from the US Republican Right via Brain Scanners and pick them up in your teeth on shortwave?

And I'm not a democrat. What is right is right independent of what others say is right.

This is a big tangent away from the banning of private schools, but I want to make a brief comment on 'tax is theft'.

Firstly, without taxation there would be no property. Without taxation there could be no government which sets up the legal systems needed to uphold a system of private property and capitalism to begin with.

Secondly, your money only has worth because the government says so. The value of our currency is backed up by all the soldiers and nurses and policemen who work for our country and accept it as legal tender. The government provides a legal framework for this money system to operate in, and this is a part of capitalism. If you don't like the idea of paying the government/the people for this sort of money system, then you are free to go an use a barter system, which of course is free of government tax. But don't expect everyone to accept your currency, and don't expect the government to insure your money either.
Original post by Harveys
Your right, and after reading 48 pages, at least I made a post that had facts in it.

a long list of numbers with little explanation of how they are arrived at. 'If you can afford a nanny and a nursary etc' then you can afford to go to a private school. Which convieniently overlooks the fact that a very significant percentage of people in state schools have parents that can't afford those things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 951

What sort of taxation system do you propose to have then that would be fair.
Original post by Fires
Do you get your orders from the US Republican Right via Brain Scanners and pick them up in your teeth on shortwave?

I'm not a US republican, I'm a libertarian (republicans tend to be socially right-wing but I'm not).

How about engaging with the substantive issue?
Original post by . .
What sort of taxation system do you propose to have then that would be fair.

TBH I don't think 'fairness' really comes into the question of what is a just state. But I'm a minarchist who believes that the proper role of government is protecting basic rights, providing law and order and national defence.
Original post by R.P.Everything.
This is a big tangent away from the banning of private schools, but I want to make a brief comment on 'tax is theft'.

Firstly, without taxation there would be no property. Without taxation there could be no government which sets up the legal systems needed to uphold a system of private property and capitalism to begin with.

This is a common line of reasoning against private property rights (the social construction argument). The problem is that you're assuming 'private property' rights only have a legalistic meaning. Private property is also a normative/moral concept that is equivalent to 'society should be arranged in such a way as to protect property rights'. Note that this is conceptually independent of a state i.e. you could have a system of private property without a state so long as people generally respected private property rights. Another way of saying basically the same thing is that private property are rights (i.e. rights to do as you like with your property, with appropriate provisos). Would you also argue against rights if the government did not exist ? If government did not support the right to not be tortured would you say that was ok? As for the empirical arguments it seems clear that a system of private property would have emerged because of the utility of such. Finally, I'm a minarchist and support government protecting property rights.

Original post by R.P.Everything.

Secondly, your money only has worth because the government says so. The value of our currency is backed up by all the soldiers and nurses and policemen who work for our country and accept it as legal tender. The government provides a legal framework for this money system to operate in, and this is a part of capitalism. If you don't like the idea of paying the government/the people for this sort of money system, then you are free to go an use a barter system, which of course is free of government tax. But don't expect everyone to accept your currency, and don't expect the government to insure your money either.

I don't really understand what this has to do with limited government and private property rights. Sure, we currently have a fiat currency but wealth would still exist without it! If government disappeared tomorrow all the houses,rings etc would not disappear. And a legal system could arguably exist without government (polycentric law). And all those government services (police,healthcare etc) can be provided privately.
This is a common line of reasoning against private property rights (the social construction argument). The problem is that you're assuming 'private property' rights only have a legalistic meaning. Private property is also a normative/moral concept that is equivalent to 'society should be arranged in such a way as to protect property rights'. Note that this is conceptually independent of a state i.e. you could have a system of private property without a state so long as people generally respected private property rights. Another way of saying basically the same thing is that private property are rights (i.e. rights to do as you like with your property, with appropriate provisos). Would you also argue against rights if the government did not exist ? If government did not support the right to not be tortured would you say that was ok? As for the empirical arguments it seems clear that a system of private property would have emerged because of the utility of such. Finally, I'm a minarchist and support government protecting property rights.

I don't really understand what this has to do with limited government and private property rights. Sure, we currently have a fiat currency but wealth would still exist without it! If government disappeared tomorrow all the houses,rings etc would not disappear. And a legal system could arguably exist without government (polycentric law). And all those government services (police,healthcare etc) can be provided privately.

Both private property and human rights would still exist as philosophical ideas, but without a state or a legal system to implement them and uphold them, there would be no uniform view throughout the country. Whilst you may hold the view that your property is yours, or that your rights are yours, other people may not, and there would be nothing withholding them from infringing on your rights. Taxation is a small price to pay for a solid framework in society, and that includes taxation for what you might consider 'extensions' to this social framework, such as education and healthcare.

On my second point, believe it or not, taxes are optional. You can choose not to buy into the legal tender used by the government, and you could operate your own barter currency. Obviously, other people would have to accept your currency, and it has no legal recognition or backing, except from you, so that may only come with limited success. However, you would keep 100% of your earnings, by trading off the common money framework provided by the government.
this is my most successful thread ever

thank you all for making it so special

good luck with your 2011 goals
well done.

i'm still working on the flux capacitor
Reply 958
Sure is overpriveleged in this thread
Reply 959
It's so easy to say that they are elitist and full of rich snobs who have no concept of what the life is like for 'the rest of us'.

However, I've been in state education all my life and I think abolishing these institutions would be a great loss to traditional English culture.

Furthermore, the sixth form I am currently at is incredibly popular with people who attended private secondary schools and I've found everyone who have come from those places to be friendly and accepting - I haven't come accross a single snob. Just generally people with better GCSE results and, unsurprisingly, larger houses than my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending