The Student Room Group

I’ve been harassed on Snapchat, what do I do?

Hi everyone, I’ve been harassed by a boy I know on snapchat, so I reported him and I suppose his account has been banned since his name doesn’t show up anymore. I don’t want to go into the details of what he sent me, but I’m 16 and he is 21, and I am in a pretty bad state right now. Is it safe to say that snapchat will report him to law enforcement?? Im in the UK right now if that matters. Or does it work the other way round and I have to contact the police, and have them ask snap for info? Idk if snapchat would proactively file legal issues like this, thanks everyone!!!
Original post by satisfactionxd
Hi everyone, I’ve been harassed by a boy I know on snapchat, so I reported him and I suppose his account has been banned since his name doesn’t show up anymore. I don’t want to go into the details of what he sent me, but I’m 16 and he is 21, and I am in a pretty bad state right now. Is it safe to say that snapchat will report him to law enforcement?? Im in the UK right now if that matters. Or does it work the other way round and I have to contact the police, and have them ask snap for info? Idk if snapchat would proactively file legal issues like this, thanks everyone!!!

I would still report it to the police just in case Snapchat don't. That way even if it's reported twice then they know :smile:

I'm not sure they would report him (Unless it was really bad), as it's adverse publicity and more headache / paperwork for themselves. Besides, I'd imagine this kind of thing happens a lot on such platforms, so they would be overwhelmed if they reported every single case like this. It's far easier for them to simply ban the user, and block their IP address (their computer address) assuming they're not on a Virtual Private Network.

Obviously, I don't know all the facts... but the age of consent in the UK is 16 (unless you're in Northern Ireland, where it's 17) so he can't get done for any child related offences (unless you were under 16 when this stuff started happening).

Having said that, I'm almost certain they would support you if you wanted to make a complaint to the police... if they can provide the evidence. When you reported the incident, did you get a reference number of some kind? Do you have a named contact of who you spoke to? Have you kept screenshots of what was sent yourself?

How seriously the police will take this is heavily dependent on how much evidence you can provide. Another thing you'd need to check is whether or not he can trace you on other platforms (is your username etc. the same elsewhere?)
(edited 7 months ago)

Block him?
You have to report him yourself. You said he “harassed” you. Could you say what he exactly did?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending