The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,

I applied for MSc Toxicology back in February and I'm still waiting on a response. Does it usually take this long? Or is it time I contacted somebody??

Thanks!
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi Use Err Name,

Glad to hear you're interested in studying Law at Surrey, we are one of the few universities in the country that actually offer a professional training year as part of an LLB Law degree. Your training year can be taken as either a standard year-long work placement, or split with half a year on an exchange programme and the other half on a work placement.

The Business, Economics and Law faculty currently has thirty three exchange agreements with Universities across the world: International agreements include those in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, and South Korea; and European agreements exists with Universities in Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands.

If you wish to study at one of our partner institutions within the EU, you may be eligible for an Erasmus grant of around €235/month to help with living costs and you are still eligible for your normal student loan for the year you are spending time abroad.

If you wish to find out more, your best bet would be to pop along to one of our open days - the first ones are on the 29th and 30th June. On the day, the law academics will be on hand to answer any more specific questions regarding the Law programme and the exchanges, as will our International Relations Office who manage the study abroad schemes.

Alternatively, have a look on both the Law and International Relations studying abroad webpages:
http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/fbel/study/exchange/outgoing/index.htm
http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/exchanges/outgoing/index.htm

I hope this has helped. Good luck with any exams you may be currently taking!

- Alex

Sounds awesome. Yep Surrey is definitely one of my 5 choices so I'll be sure to attend one of the open days.

I've firmed Surrey for mental health nursing, but I don't know what I do about applying for the NHS bursary as they pay for nursing and midwifery students tuitions fees? I've been told that the university should send off your details once you've firmed them but I haven't heard anything so I'm a bit confused.
Thank you :smile:
was just wondering what happens to the scholarship in the years after year 1, cos I know you need A*AA for it but what about year 2 and 3?

Also, I have applied for economics and would like to know how many of the students are actually accepted into a placement year and is it generally the best students get the best places?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by alittlehelp
was just wondering what happens to the scholarship in the years after year 1, cos I know you need A*AA for it but what about year 2 and 3?

Also, I have applied for economics and would like to know how many of the students are actually accepted into a placement year and is it generally the best students get the best places?

You get the scholarship if you average a first in the previous year.

And speaking from a first year law students perspective I think everyone who gets the minimum grade requirement (2:1, i think) and attends most of the placement year prep lessons are allowed onto the placement year.
Original post by billybilly115
Hiya,

I applied for MSc Toxicology back in February and I'm still waiting on a response. Does it usually take this long? Or is it time I contacted somebody??

Thanks!

Hi billybilly115,

I have PM'd you as I need a few details from you before I can find out what is happening with your application. Please get back to me in the private message as soon as you can and I shall see what I can do for you :smile:

- Alex
Original post by Catherine:)
I've firmed Surrey for mental health nursing, but I don't know what I do about applying for the NHS bursary as they pay for nursing and midwifery students tuitions fees? I've been told that the university should send off your details once you've firmed them but I haven't heard anything so I'm a bit confused.

Hi Catherine,

I have contacted our Health & Social Care admissions team regarding your NHS Bursary query; when I receive a response I shall get back to you asap.

- Alex

Hi alittlehelp,

The Chancellors Scholarship is open to all students paying the full tuition fee who select the University of Surrey as their Firm choice and who achieve grades at A Level of A*AA or A*A*B. The scholarship is to the value of £3,000 in their first year only and is paid in two equal instalments - £1,500 in December and £1,500 in March.

On top of this, students will also receive free membership of the Surrey Sports Park for the duration of their course - so this equates to a saving of £195 per year.

In all years at the University, you may be eligible for a bursary, however this would depend on household income rather than entry grades.

With regards to the Professional Training Year in Economics, you would be able to switch to this stream at any point in your first year and up to a deadline in your second year - it is primarily up to yourself to obtain a placement. Placement jobs are applied for in the same way you would apply for a graduate job - application forms, assessment centres, telephone interviews, group interviews, 1-to-1 interviews etc.

The university does provide some preparation for this process throughout your first two years with mock interviews, CV workshops and other personal and professional help, however it would be up to yourself to obtain the placement. The economics department will have their own PTY team to assist you in your search throughout the whole process - please visit http://www.surrey.ac.uk/economics/business/index.htm for more information on the economics PTY.

Hope this answers your questions.

- Alex

With regards to the Professional Training Year in Economics, you would be able to switch to this stream at any point in your first year and up to a deadline in your second year - it is primarily up to yourself to obtain a placement. Placement jobs are applied for in the same way you would apply for a graduate job - application forms, assessment centres, telephone interviews, group interviews, 1-to-1 interviews etc.

- Alex

There are Surrey exclusive/reserved spaces placements with certain companies that amounts to good number of companies. I know we had 2/3 with the BoE and few with the Treasury, (~)4 with State Street, 2/3 with UBS, 3 with a forcasting company called 4CAST, LaSalle and more but I can't recall them all myself but a good number. Obviously you can also apply to external ones as well, but over the years Surrey has built up contacts to get these placements.

Generally the principle is that like with ANY that the best candidates will get the best placements holds just like with a graduate job after university. If you have nothing on your CV and a 2:2 in your first year don't expect a placement, if you have a strong CV, a 1st in your first year and can hold yourself well in an interview then you will probably get one, in my year everyone that tried to get a placement with a 1st in their first year got one. Not to say you cannot get one with a 2:1 but having a 1st really does help (They obviously look at A-Levels/GCSE's etc as well).

Sorry to hijack Alex but I thought I could give a bit of insider info :smile:

EDIT: Forgot Inland Revenue and JP Morgan as others Surrey has placements for, website has a list, but not all of those are exclusives, the ones I have listed are, for what I can remember...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi alittlehelp,

The Chancellors Scholarship is open to all students paying the full tuition fee who select the University of Surrey as their Firm choice and who achieve grades at A Level of A*AA or A*A*B. The scholarship is to the value of £3,000 in their first year only and is paid in two equal instalments - £1,500 in December and £1,500 in March.

On top of this, students will also receive free membership of the Surrey Sports Park for the duration of their course - so this equates to a saving of £195 per year.

In all years at the University, you may be eligible for a bursary, however this would depend on household income rather than entry grades.

The university does provide some preparation for this process throughout your first two years with mock interviews, CV workshops and other personal and professional help, however it would be up to yourself to obtain the placement. The economics department will have their own PTY team to assist you in your search throughout the whole process - please visit http://www.surrey.ac.uk/economics/business/index.htm for more information on the economics PTY.

Hope this answers your questions.

- Alex

On a related note - I've qualified for the standard £1000 performance scholarship (before the recent changes) for getting a 1st in my second year results, and received the conformation email and related details. However, due to me being on placement this year the payment is delayed to March (or sometime around then, I don't have the email to hand at the moment sorry) 2013 when I return to university for my final year.

With the recent changes, do you know if I (and the other students in my position) receive the scholarships as stated?
Reply 50
Original post by Dan1909
On a related note - I've qualified for the standard £1000 performance scholarship (before the recent changes) for getting a 1st in my second year results, and received the conformation email and related details. However, due to me being on placement this year the payment is delayed to March (or sometime around then, I don't have the email to hand at the moment sorry) 2013 when I return to university for my final year.

With the recent changes, do you know if I (and the other students in my position) receive the scholarships as stated?

I don't think we receive any university financial support on PTY at all - I didn't receive a bursary this year (I received £790 in first year and £550 in second year but nothing this year) so I'm hoping going into final year next year I will receive a bursary once again.. free money woop
Reply 51
Original post by orionmoo
I don't think we receive any university financial support on PTY at all - I didn't receive a bursary this year (I received £790 in first year and £550 in second year but nothing this year) so I'm hoping going into final year next year I will receive a bursary once again.. free money woop

It's not the bursary, as I don't quality for that anyway sadly, but the scholarship that the university gives to students achieving certain entry grades/end of year marks. It may be a departmental thing though, rather than a university wide scheme?

I got the confirmation that I qualified for it based on my second year marks through a while back, I'm assuming it should stay as stated, I'm just wondering if the changes this year alter it at all?
Reply 52
Original post by Dan1909
It's not the bursary, as I don't quality for that anyway sadly, but the scholarship that the university gives to students achieving certain entry grades/end of year marks. It may be a departmental thing though, rather than a university wide scheme?

I got the confirmation that I qualified for it based on my second year marks through a while back, I'm assuming it should stay as stated, I'm just wondering if the changes this year alter it at all?

Wouldn't have thought so, the changes are just for the new freshers this coming year probably. Maybe email feesandfunding@ or your course admin? They should probably know..
Reply 53
Original post by orionmoo
Wouldn't have thought so, the changes are just for the new freshers this coming year probably. Maybe email feesandfunding@ or your course admin? They should probably know..

Yeah I'll probably drop them an email if the guys in this thread can't answer it. To be honest I'm not too bothered as if I get it then I'll get it, and if not there's not much I can do about it really. Just thought I'd ask while the thread was on the topic :smile:.
Original post by Catherine:)

Hi again Catherine,

Thanks for being patient; I have received a response from the faculty.

We do not send the details to the NHS Bursary team until the summer and we only send the details off for those who have firmed with us, so I would say that you have nothing to worry about and you will hear from the NHS bursary team by August.

This is usually the case, and it is plenty of time to get it all sorted so there is nothing for you to do regarding the bursary at the moment.

Hope this helps!

- Alex
Original post by Dan1909

Hi Dan,

The new Chancellors Scholarship is for new 2012 and 2013 applications only; any current students stay on the current fee system and should receive any funding, either through scholarships or bursaries, that they would've originally been entitled to when they joined. If you would like to email the fees and funding team, they should be able to comment on your individual case: [email protected]

Hope this helps!

- Alex
The University of Surrey open week has now ended and unfortunately, the team will not be able to answer any more of your questions at this time.

If you have any further questions about the university then please post in the Surrey applicants 2012 thread or the Surrey accommodation thread - I'm sure there will be other TSR members ready to help you out there. Alternatively, remember that you can email the university if your question is specific to your situation/application.

Thanks everyone for all of your questions, we hope that the responses were helpful and useful to you :smile:

Also a big thanks to the team from Surrey - you guys were great and we hope to see you on TSR again in the future :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending