The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Existing students; freshers arrivals & term dates query please

Hoping an existing student can help out. Keeping everything crossed, my daughter will be heading to Durham in September. It's a long journey for us and unfortunately I need to book time off work way in advance to make sure I get it...

On the Uni website it says Induction Week starts Monday 25th Sept so assume all new undergrads should be in situ by then - but when do most students arrive? Is it over the weekend before? I can't see dates for when uni accommodation will be open so any insight on that gratefully received!

At the other end of the academic year, it says end of term is Friday 21st June 24 - do students (in uni accommodation) leave on that date or can they leave over the weekend on 22/23rd?

TIA :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hoping an existing student can help out. Keeping everything crossed, my daughter will be heading to Durham in September. It's a long journey for us and unfortunately I need to book time off work way in advance to make sure I get it...

On the Uni website it says Induction Week starts Monday 25th Sept so assume all new undergrads should be in situ by then - but when do most students arrive? Is it over the weekend before? I can't see dates for when uni accommodation will be open so any insight on that gratefully received!

At the other end of the academic year, it says end of term is Friday 21st June 24 - do students (in uni accommodation) leave on that date or can they leave over the weekend on 22/23rd?

Hey. I’m currently a first year here at Durham so I think I can help. Normally the students arrive the weekend before their induction week. However, the time and exact date of when you arrive can differ depending out what college your daughter has been assigned to.
When I was coming here in September of 2022, my college (John Snow) assigned everyone a move in date and time over the weekend depending on what block you were in. I couldn’t make my date and time (mainly because my family and I had a prior commitment and it was difficult to travel and find accommodation as we live outside London) however, I was able to speak to the college and change my date and time. So they can be very lenient with you.
In terms of people leaving, it very much depends on you. Some people choose to leave before the end of their rent contract and others leave on the weekend it ends. I plan to leave and then come back a week later so that I can move my stuff into my new house for next year. I hope this help
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey. I’m currently a first year here at Durham so I think I can help. Normally the students arrive the weekend before their induction week. However, the time and exact date of when you arrive can differ depending out what college your daughter has been assigned to.
When I was coming here in September of 2022, my college (John Snow) assigned everyone a move in date and time over the weekend depending on what block you were in. I couldn’t make my date and time (mainly because my family and I had a prior commitment and it was difficult to travel and find accommodation as we live outside London) however, I was able to speak to the college and change my date and time. So they can be very lenient with you.
In terms of people leaving, it very much depends on you. Some people choose to leave before the end of their rent contract and others leave on the weekend it ends. I plan to leave and then come back a week later so that I can move my stuff into my new house for next year. I hope this help

That's really helpful - thank you! Makes sense they would allocate slots to even out the traffic flow so to speak. We also have a very long journey so good to know it may be possible to amend timings if needed.

Can I also ask how you found it looking for 2nd year accommodation? There was so much in the news last year about a housing crisis for Durham students, it would be great to hear your experiences...
Reply 3
That's really helpful - thank you! Makes sense they would allocate slots to even out the traffic flow so to speak. We also have a very long journey so good to know it may be possible to amend timings if needed.

Can I also ask how you found it looking for 2nd year accommodation? There was so much in the news last year about a housing crisis for Durham students, it would be great to hear your experiences...

In my opinion the crisis was blown out of proportion and unnecessary. It was a mixture of students just rushing and worrying for nothing because still today there are plenty of houses available. I have a house but my friend and I took my time with finding it.

Hiya

As someone has already advised, the move-in dates are over the weekend preceding the induction week. Colleges will get in touch with you to book a date and time slot in which you can arise, so everybody is not rushing in at the same time. As for moving out, you can do that anytime before the term ends. It doesn't have to be on the 21st, as long as it's not after your tenancy ends.

-Himieka
Reply 5
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

As someone has already advised, the move-in dates are over the weekend preceding the induction week. Colleges will get in touch with you to book a date and time slot in which you can arise, so everybody is not rushing in at the same time. As for moving out, you can do that anytime before the term ends. It doesn't have to be on the 21st, as long as it's not after your tenancy ends.

-Himieka

Thank you! Hopefully the last question - so do the tenancies for 1st year accommodation tend to end on the last day of term then? No problem if you don't know - I can ask the university directly :smile:
Thank you! Hopefully the last question - so do the tenancies for 1st year accommodation tend to end on the last day of term then? No problem if you don't know - I can ask the university directly :smile:

I'm not entirely sure but I think it depends on the kind of tenancy you have. The short leases I think end earlier than the standard ones. But most standard ones end on the last day of term, yes- so this year that's 24th June. But it's best to check with the uni directly :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest