The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Hi! Anyone doing Revolution and Conflict in England (Option A)?

For Part B, I'm guessing that Wyatt's/Northern Rebellion/both will come up...
Reply 321
Original post by RoseG94

All I can say about question spotting is that last year the questions were on Detente and the arms race. So it could be Post-Stalin thaw and Sino-Soviet relations? But they wouldn't do it as simply as that!

Although actually that was last June, and i don't know what came up in January. So ignore me.
Original post by MrYoubs
Hi,

I saw someone earlier help another person with calculating UMS and was wondering if somebody would be so kind as to do the same for me.

I achieved 92 UMS and 88 UMS in the two papers at AS, and got 24/25 and 25/25 on my coursework (although this obviously hasnt been moderated yet).

92+88 from AS is 180. 49/50 for coursework translates to 78 UMS.

To get an A is 320 UMS - so 180+78-320 is 62 UMS in this paper, so a low C I think!
To get an A* is 180 UMS in A2. 180-78 is 102 UMS which is a middling A at most.
Hope that helps!
Original post by MrYoubs
Hi,

I saw someone earlier help another person with calculating UMS and was wondering if somebody would be so kind as to do the same for me.

I achieved 92 UMS and 88 UMS in the two papers at AS, and got 24/25 and 25/25 on my coursework (although this obviously hasnt been moderated yet).

Therefore what do i need to get in this paper to get an a/a* overall?

Both my teachers and I aren't entirely sure how the A2 modules (exam and coursework) are weighted (although i'm pretty sure its not 50/50).

Thank you very much in advance for anyone willing to help.

You currently have 92+88+(49*1.6=78)=258 UMS

An A is 320 UMS so you would need 62/120 UMS in the exam to get an A

A* is 320 plus 90% average in A2 and 80% average overall so 102/120 is needed for A*

EDIT: beaten to it. Oh well, at least two people have come to the same conclusion :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by quaveralien
Thanks. Personally, I hope its a Weimar question.... can I just check with you that the Nazi controversy is based on how popular the Nazi state was, who really ran it, and whether they had a piece time economy?

Early years of Weimar and consolidation of power would be my ideal two!

It's popularity and efficiency of the Nazi regime, but I'm just doing WW1 as we had far less teaching on the the Nazi one!
Reply 325
Original post by RoseG94
Although actually that was last June, and i don't know what came up in January. So ignore me.

Don't ignore her.

There isn't a January exam session for this exam :wink:
Reply 326
Original post by MrYoubs
Hi,

Therefore what do i need to get in this paper to get an a/a* overall?

Both my teachers and I aren't entirely sure how the A2 modules (exam and coursework) are weighted (although i'm pretty sure its not 50/50).

Thank you very much in advance for anyone willing to help.

-Ben

Personally, I know my teachers gave me a great mark for the coursework, but in the past, some people who have been given A's have been moderated down to a C in my school, so I'm preparing for the worst and counting on the fact that I've got a C just to keep the pressure up :tongue:
Reply 327
What grade and raw mark would 92 UMS be, approximately, in the A2 paper?
Original post by Alxndra
What grade and raw mark would 92 UMS be, approximately, in the A2 paper?

Depends on your unit and how others do, but I think it's approximately a high B :smile:
Reply 329
Hi all, wondering what I need to get in this exam (tuesday) for an A/B/C in Edexcel History, with the following marks so far:

History AS: 166 UMS
History A2 coursework: 75 UMS (of 80 UMS, 47 marks out of 50)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 330
Could someone pleaaase do the maths for me and try and tell me what i need in this exam to get an A or potentially an A*? I got 184/200 in AS and for my coursework i got 61/80. Many thanks!
How do you write a conclusion? Any help would be good thanks x
Reply 332
Guys,

It's really quite simple :wink:

For an A, you need a total of 320/400 UMS - that being the sum of all your AS and A2 modules. For a B, you'd need 280.

So, the Unit 3 UMS you need for an A is 320 minus the total UMS you have so far.

For example:
I got 85/100 in Unit 1 and 100/100 in unit 2 = 185. That means that, in total, I need 135 UMS total in the A2 (67.5%, as the total A2 is worth 200 UMS).
In the theoretical case that I've got 80% (64 UMS) in the coursework, I would need (135-64) 71 UMS in Unit 3, just under 60%.

So basically, the equation is something like this:

320 - (Unit 1 + Unit 2 + Unit 4)

I hope that clears it up for you all!

In any case, I wouldn't stress out too much on the whole UMS thing - just try as hard as you can to get top marks :smile:
Reply 333
Original post by rhianon818
How do you write a conclusion? Any help would be good thanks x

According to edexcel, the most important thing in a conclusion, as the name itself implies, is to come to some sort of judgement on the question. They don't like a generic "although this was an important factor, so was this". It should be more like "although *this* was very important in leading to the end of the Cold War, *this* was much more pivotal because..."

Basically, they don't like you to sit on the fence.
Original post by RPM1
Could someone pleaaase do the maths for me and try and tell me what i need in this exam to get an A or potentially an A*? I got 184/200 in AS and for my coursework i got 61/80. Many thanks!

You'd have to score full UMS in order to get an A* seeing as 180-61= 119 UMS and the paper is out of 120, the gap between grades means that every raw mark is around more than 1 UMS
Don't really trust my History teachers because they're new to the syllabus and the one I have is bloody awful. Such a shame because the one we had last year was a chief examiner for Edexcel and used to write the examiner reports for this unit..

Anyway, my history teachers seem to think it's very likely a 1900-1919 question will occur as it's never been asked on an actual paper since they adjusted the spec. It was on the specimen paper.

Equally they believe for the source based question it will be about the chaotic nature of the Nazi state.

Thoughts on this? They have been in contact with the old History teacher a lot, so I do wonder if he has told them his predictions xD.

Focussed my revision on Weimar Germany 1919-24 and the rise of the Nazi Party. About 6/10 in the Weimar 1924-29 and Germany 1900-1919. Nazi war effort we didn't manage to finish so I've hardly revised that as I can't see them asking two world war questions...?

For section B I'm just going to do the two Nazi controversies no matter what; it's so easy to distinguish between the 3 historians arguments compared to the WW1 controversy. Hoping it is chaotic state as that is so much easier and less own knowledge to revise. Although pretty confident in the source based questions as I only need 60 UMS (50%?) to get the A, and judging from the mark scheme it seems you can get that level from little OK but good use of sources, which is my strongest point in history.

This exam is such a huge ball ache and I am so happy I only need 60 UMS, which correct me if I am wrong is 50% for my A. Relieved isn't the word. I don't understand the principle of doing coursework in January. Would be so much easier for us if it was like English lit where you could do the exam in either January or June.
(edited 11 years ago)
How would you answer this question? I don't get it =/

How far do you agree that Soviet foreign policy in the period 1945-50 reflected Stalin’s cautious personality?
Example exam questions that I found at studyhistory.co.uk

Origins of Cold War

1. To what extent had relations between the superpowers broken down by the end of 1944?
2. How far do you agree that the origins of the Cold War in 1945 and 1946 owed much to ideological differences and little to personalities and conflicting national interests?

Development of Cold War

3. How far do you agree with the view that the development of Cold War in the period 1945-50 was the result of Stalin’s foreign policy?
4. How far was the USA responsible for the development of Cold War?
5. How far do you agree that Soviet foreign policy in the period 1945-50 reflected Stalin’s cautious personality?
6. “No one and everyone was responsible for causing the Korean War.” Do you agree with this view?

Post-Stalin Thaw

7. To what extent was the development of the post-Stalin thaw in superpower relations between 1952 and 1962 the result of Khrushchev’s policy of Peaceful Coexistence?
8. How far did ‘Peaceful Co-existence’ ease Cold War tensions between the Soviet Union and the USA in the years 1953-61? (June 2010)
9. How far would you accept the view that the foreign policy of Eisenhower and Dulles was based on empty rhetoric?
10. How far would you agree that Kennedy’s approach to the USSR marked a return to that adopted by Truman?
11. How far would you agree with the view that both the Hungarian Uprising of 1956 and the Berlin Wall revealed the strengths as well as the weaknesses of the Communist Bloc?

Cuba & Arms Race

12. To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a more dangerous place in the years 1949-63?
13. How far would you accept the judgement that by the beginning of 1962 the arms race had made nuclear war unlikely?
14. How far was the nuclear arms race a threat to world peace in the years 1949-62? (Edexcel sample question, 2010)
15. How far would you accept the view of McNamara that the Cuban Missile Crisis was ‘primarily a domestic political problem’
16. How far would you agree that the Cuban Missile Crisis was a hinge that produced the possibility of a changed direction in the arms race?

Sino-Soviet Relations

17. How far was the deterioration in Sino-Soviet relations in the years 1958-69 due to personal rivalries? (June 2010)
18. How important to the United States’ management of its Cold War diplomacy were relations between the USSR and China in the years 1962-76? (Edexcel sample material, 2010)
19. How far do you accept the validity of the interpretation that China’s rapprochement with the USA was a product of geopolitical considerations?
20. To what extent did the Sino-American rapprochement cause ‘the most profound shift in the international balance of power’?

Détente

21. How advantageous was the policy of Détente to the management of the USA’s Cold War diplomacy with the USSR in the 1970s?
22. How far did Détente introduce a new era of cooperation in US-Soviet relations during the 1970s?
23. How significant were economic realities in pushing both sides towards Détente?
24. To what extent can Carter be blamed for the failure of Détente?

End of Cold War

25. How far do you agree with the view that the Cold War came to an end because popular protest in the Communist Bloc during the 1980s weakened the Soviet hold over Eastern Europe?
26. To what extent did Reagan’s foreign policy bring about the end of Cold War?
27. To what extent was the fall of the Berlin Wall ‘more a result than a cause of the ending of Cold War tensions’?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by flying_ifan
According to edexcel, the most important thing in a conclusion, as the name itself implies, is to come to some sort of judgement on the question. They don't like a generic "although this was an important factor, so was this". It should be more like "although *this* was very important in leading to the end of the Cold War, *this* was much more pivotal because..."

Basically, they don't like you to sit on the fence.

Thanks! So basically just argue your opinion and what the main evidence showing it is.
Does anyone know what 41/50 raw marks on the coursework is worth in terms of UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending