The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Is anyone doing the USA boom bust and recovery topic? Wondering if anyone had any ideas what part A might focus on this year!
Original post by duckpancakes
Yeah the machinery of government is stuff like Act of Precdence and Court of Augmentations etc. It's largely about Cromwell (I think) and I think it's talked about because Elton described it as a "revolution in government" or something. I'm really worried because my favourite thing is anglo-spanish or even anglo-french relations but there have been so many foreign policy ones I don't think it'll come up. So i think it'll be Cromwell's government (maybe with a bit of Somerset/Northumberland) or religion under any of them. With religion though do you remember everything that happened in all the acts? Because I always get mixed up about which acts denied or confirmed transubstantiation, clerical dress etc blah blah blah. It all keeps changing and I end up just guessing depedning on whether it's Somerset (Very protestant) northumberland (uber protestant although secretly catholic) mary (catholic) or elizabeth (moderate but protestant). I'm so worried about religion! Also i was thinking about government machinery or power of the crown or whatever it's called and i want to practice doing a plan for a question. But i couldn't actually think of a question. "was there a revolution of tudor government" doesn't really have a counter arguement and "was cromwell responsible for making government more efficient" would be hard to think of examples against. Any ideas? As for controversies I'm going to do parliamant. I think the rebellions are more interesting but the parliament questions are virtually the same every year- there's not that much they can ask. Good luck! :smile:

I think for the acts you don't really need to get too bogged down on little details, just remember things like, oh 6 Articles, that was more Catholic, the 1552 Book of Common Prayer was really Protestant, stuff like that.
Mmm, that's true about the power of the crown, difficult to guess what they'll ask. We've always planned questions like 'to what extent was there a revolution in gov?' or 'to what extent did the power of the monarchy increase?'. If the time period goes into Edward's reign I suppose you could say that under Somerset government wasn't very efficient, he didn't use the Privy Council, he was too autocratic, issued many proclamations... If it sticks with Henry you could say after Cromwell's fall there was more faction, which possibly made the government weak, but in the end it ensured a smooth succession (one of my teacher favourite phrases :tongue:) so it was okay. Yeah, hoping that comes up now, religion has too much to remember I don't think I'd be able to give a full, decent answer. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 582
does anyone have a decent question I could plan about Gorbachev and the end of the cold war?
Reply 583
HI everyone! loving the last minute posts LOL. (atleast im not the only one)

Im doing Option D Kaiser to Fuhrer.. i think imperial germany is very likely to come up (and perhaps the evernt of WW1) from looking through past papers.

They dont require us to do any historiography or know anything about the historians (do they?)

how is everyone finding revisiion?
Original post by amywills
Is anyone doing the USA boom bust and recovery topic? Wondering if anyone had any ideas what part A might focus on this year!

Im doing America ! :ahee:
I'm ****ing myself over this paper, gonna fail so bad. Oh well, least i tried.
I think part A will be 1920's with women and Ford maybe coming in there.
possibly prohibition, that would be fantastic but unlikely. Opposition on Roosevelt, hopefully. if anything else comes up, im kinda screwed.
Hi, Does anyone have any questions that fit within this topic at all

-Political and Social tensions
. Religion and belief
. The impact of prohibition
. Tensions over race and immigration
. Women’s suffrage and its impact

Thanks
Original post by rhianon818
Anyone thought about order of answering the questions. As in answer part B (controversy question) first.

I usually go Part A and then do Part B but was wondering whether to do it the other way around because the controversy is worth more. Thoughts?

I'm going to do 'A' first because, although the sources one is worth more, I think it's "easier", as you're basing your argument etc around sources (obviously with own knowledge to back up or challenge the sources, but you know what I mean), whereas the 30 marker is just your own knowledge... Personally I think 'A' is slightly harder to get the best marks in, so would rather get it over and done with!

Hope that helps! :smile:
I'm really hoping anything on Somerset/Northumberland will come up, or maybe Anglo-Spanish relations but the last two years have had foreign affairs in them!

Could anyone give me an example of evaluation of argument? I know you need it to get a level 5 (in any of the topics) and an example would be really useful!

Good luck everyone :smile:

P.S Looking at the Examiners reports on the edexcel website is really useful!
Hi, Does anyone have any questions that fit within this topic at all

-Political and Social tensions
. Religion and belief
. The impact of prohibition
. Tensions over race and immigration
. Women’s suffrage and its impact

Thanks
Reply 589
Original post by Forget that
Im doing America ! :ahee:
I'm ****ing myself over this paper, gonna fail so bad. Oh well, least i tried.
I think part A will be 1920's with women and Ford maybe coming in there.
possibly prohibition, that would be fantastic but unlikely. Opposition on Roosevelt, hopefully. if anything else comes up, im kinda screwed.

I'm hoping for prohibition or McCarthyism! :P
Original post by Charlotte_19
I'm really hoping anything on Somerset/Northumberland will come up, or maybe Anglo-Spanish relations but the last two years have had foreign affairs in them!

Could anyone give me an example of evaluation of argument? I know you need it to get a level 5 (in any of the topics) and an example would be really useful!

Good luck everyone :smile:

P.S Looking at the Examiners reports on the edexcel website is really useful!

Yeah, I doubt there'll be anything of foreign policy, given it's already come up.

Evaluation of argument... Say the source says something like 'Wyatt's rebellion was a failure' you could say: 'X argues that 'Wyatt's rebellion was a failure', however they have not taken into account the fact that the rebels got the closest to the monarch of any Tudor rebellion and .....'
Use phrases like 'this statement is corroborated by the fact that X', 'so-and-so is correct in arguing this, because x,y,z happened', stuff like that. Just get really opinionated basically and don't be afraid to say the historians are wrong.
If you're doing the parliament controversy my example isn't really relevant, but I hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 591
Aaanyone here doing USA: a disunited nation/Civil War?
I've seen nothing on here about that so far..
Terrified for tomorrow! :afraid:
Original post by Becky94
I'm hoping for prohibition or McCarthyism! :P

McCarthyism came up last year, but they may ask the question again
I'm really scared for Hoover's question. I've done lots of revision, but i know the question will be hard !
Reply 593
I'm really scared for Hoover's question. I've done lots of revision, but i know the question will be hard !

I thought the war economy and the Ku Klux Klan came up last year? :confused:

McCarthyism was on the 2010 paper... and I think Hoover was last year so I'm hoping the Depression-based question is either "Causes of Depression" or "Why did it last so long"...

I really want opposition to New Deal for the A question!! :s-smilie:
Original post by kirino1

Im doing Option D Kaiser to Fuhrer.. i think imperial germany is very likely to come up (and perhaps the evernt of WW1) from looking through past papers.

They dont require us to do any historiography or know anything about the historians (do they?)

Hope your predictions are right 'cos its about all I've learnt in detail ha!
My teachers told us we did not need to know about the historians apart from in the WW1 controversy :smile:
Original post by Becky94
I thought the war economy and the Ku Klux Klan came up last year? :confused:

You're right it did!
Reply 597
Original post by WH1892
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/detente#s=10 if you're a memeber here go from page 10-14, if not make an account, it's free!

but basically examples include the treatment of the Czechoslovak rock band “Plastic People of the Universe”

The treatment of Alexander Solzhenitsyn (author)

and the infringed human rights agreements with their treatment of Solidarity

thank you so much, this is excellent!

Just curious, because im worried now, what in particular makes you think the Hoover question will hard? any reason in particular or just because its a hard section?
Reply 599
The fact that there are 6 topics, and that we're only ever going to answer on 2 of them means that we have to do 3x as much revision as is necessary.

Damn you Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending