The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flying_ifan
GOOD. Makes me feel a lot better :biggrin:

I think in this question there was a lot of scope for different interpretations

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 801
Original post by laurenlovespink
I think in this question there was a lot of scope for different interpretations

Yeah I agree with this - but I liked it in the sense that it was causes of detente... which are pretty straight-forward :smile:
Original post by SeismicImpact
I did the same question! Did you have to write about D-day?

The Battle of the Atlantic one? I don't know about HAVING to write about it, but I did because it was about the allied success in the West, and I thought that was pretty crucial...

Did you not write about it, then?
Did anyone do the controversy on Hitler's style of dictatorship in Option D: Germany From Kaiser to Fuhrer? Really worried I've ballsed the own knowledge up on that, although I think I'll have got most of the source marks.
Original post by fishfan01
The Battle of the Atlantic one? I don't know about HAVING to write about it, but I did because it was about the allied success in the West, and I thought that was pretty crucial...

Did you not write about it, then?

I spent way too long writing about the Battle of the Atlantic and once I had written a bit about the Battle of Britain and Dunkirk, I realised that I wouldn't have enough time to write anything about D-day :frown:

So it was a choice between continuing with the 30 mark question or move on to the 40 mark question so I chose the latter.
On Part B, I disagreed with one of the sources' view in my last paragraph before conclusion along the lines of 'In contrast to source 12...' then went on to say how their view point on a certain new deal agency was wrong.
Would disagreeing with the source like this loose me marks ?
Reply 806
Well apparently this exam went not so well for most people then! Hopefully they will lower the grade boundaries!
Reply 807
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Did anyone do Option D: The Challenge of Facism - Section A was the 1933-37 and the role of the Battle of the Atlantic and Section B was Chamberlain's policy of appeasement. Anyone?

I did! How did you find it? I thought the first part was ok, I did the appeasement question and was happy with my answer. For the source work part I did the question on progressive change as a result of the war. Wasn't 100% happy with it at all, I found source 10 really hard to understand...
Reply 808
cold war option:

I did the question on Eisenhower- talked about his policy in theory and in practise, compared it to that of Khrushchev and challenged the question by questioning the extent of coexistence at the time- used a fair amount of OK but I completely forgot to talk about the Austrian State treaty :frown: which really annoyed me.

also chose the end game: sources were limited when talking about people power so you couldn't x-ref, talked about the importance of personalities and economic troubles. Managed to use a fair amount of OK and managed to evaluate throughout.

Hoping it went better than the mock :s-smilie: Overall really liked the paper :smile:
Reply 809
Hi!
I did the Cold War exam and answered the questions on Détente and the End of the Cold War.

For Part A, I talked about the Sino-American rapprochement and how this pressurised the USSR. My second paragraph was on US economic pressures for following détente, and need to reduce spending. My third paragraph was on Ostpolitk and the impact that had on the US. I was going to mention the fear of war through the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I didn't have time for that.

For Part B my three arguments were Popular Protests, economic pressures on the USSR and the role of Gorbachev. I linked in Reagan's policies such as the Reagan Doctrine and SDI into economic pressures. I though the sources were a bit weird as well, but hopefully used them enough :h:
Original post by InnocentTinkerbell
anyone do American option ?

Yehh choose opposition to Roosevelt for part A and New Deal for part B . What did you choose ?
Original post by SeismicImpact
I spent way too long writing about the Battle of the Atlantic and once I had written a bit about the Battle of Britain and Dunkirk, I realised that I wouldn't have enough time to write anything about D-day :frown:

So it was a choice between continuing with the 30 mark question or move on to the 40 mark question so I chose the latter.

I wouldn't worry about it - so long as the Battle of Britain and Dunkirk were explicitly linked to Allied success, you've still done what they asked you too :smile:

And I'm sure the time that you didn't sacrifice for the 40 marker will make up for it anyway :smile:

I know that it's the whole point of exams, but it really frustrates me that just because I was put in an exam hall (the gym, because silly little year tens had the main hall :mad:), I didn't actually really get to show them what I can do :frown:
Reply 812
I did the America option and found that the sources agreed on most points, there was one main disagreement between them but they were all quite bland...
I answered the source question about whether 'failure to consume' caused the depression.

That being said I felt the 30mark question went okay, (if anyone else did the same option I answered the one on the motor industry being the cause of economic prosperity).

The main thing is it could've gone worse :P
Anyone do question 1 on the Tudors for part A? What did you include? :smile:

am i the only one who picked q8 on political stability? :tongue:
Reply 815
Original post by lilGem
cold war option:

I did the question on Eisenhower- talked about his policy in theory and in practise, compared it to that of Khrushchev and challenged the question by questioning the extent of coexistence at the time- used a fair amount of OK but I completely forgot to talk about the Austrian State treaty :frown: which really annoyed me.

also chose the end game: sources were limited when talking about people power so you couldn't x-ref, talked about the importance of personalities and economic troubles. Managed to use a fair amount of OK and managed to evaluate throughout.

Hoping it went better than the mock :s-smilie: Overall really liked the paper :smile:

I did the eisenhower question, i just argued simply he wanted to reduce spending blah blah but publicly had to remain firmer, i didn't talk about the austrian state treaty.... just talked about his actually policies and what HE did not other people!
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
am i the only one who picked q8 on political stability? :tongue:

From what I've heard from my friends, it wasn't a very popular question. I found the sources the main problem, there really wasn't much to them and I found I could do more with the sources on Q7. I'm sure you're not the only one to have done it though! :redface:
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Did anyone do Option D: The Challenge of Facism - Section A was the 1933-37 and the role of the Battle of the Atlantic and Section B was Chamberlain's policy of appeasement. Anyone?

I did this section also but did the appeasement 33-37 instead, thought it was okay, sources were a bit difficult to interpret at first however hopefully Ive put the right stuff in :smile:
Original post by mahjongmagic
From what I've heard from my friends, it wasn't a very popular question. I found the sources the main problem, there really wasn't much to them and I found I could do more with the sources on Q7. I'm sure you're not the only one to have done it though! :redface:

yeah I know what you mean, I thought they were really limited and they didn't really add much argument to the title but my school only taught me the protectorate for the controversy so I didn't have much of a choice! Kind of made it up as I went along...
hiya! I did from kaiser to fuhrer option!

for the first question i did 'How far was Germany a democracy in the years 1900-1914?'
I didnt find it too bad! talked about kaiser, constitutional, political parties and nationalism!

for the sources the question was fairly straight forward 'How far was German aggression responsible for WW1'
i just used the sources, and my own knowledge and managed to write about 8-9 pages!

but from the sound of it everyone seems pretty upset/down about their questions! did anyone else do the same as me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending