The Student Room Group

OCR Decision 1 - 24 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs V
Usually you'd lose all the marks, but in this exam maybe the marks scheme will be more lenient.

For x+4y (3,1) gives 7 whereas (2,2) gives 10

Method marks are allocated for USING the algorithm so, if you've shown correct working, you may just lose the accuracy mark

Ahh, I really hope it is lenient :P if the mark scheme made up partly for the exam, it'd be nice :L
Okay, I guess I lose those marks then :frown:
Okay, thanks very much for clearing all that up :smile:
Reply 241
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 242
Original post by Nathdragon5
Ahh, I really hope it is lenient :P if the mark scheme made up partly for the exam, it'd be nice :L

I expect that the provisional mark scheme will be adjusted once the live student responses are seen - particularly in light of the fact that so many students will have struggled to finish the exam, so usually 'hard' marks will be 'softened' to allow more students to access them. (This is one of the reasons that teachers advise you to put something rather than nothing!)
Original post by Mrs V
I expect that the provisional mark scheme will be adjusted once the live student responses are seen - particularly in light of the fact that so many students will have struggled to finish the exam, so usually 'hard' marks will be 'softened' to allow more students to access them. (This is one of the reasons that teachers advise you to put something rather than nothing!)

Ooh I never knew that they actually looked at what people are actually saying! Awesome, and seeing as I haven't found anyone who said it was easy, it seems likely :smile: thanks so much, that reassures me a little. Any guesses as to what ums I'd get for 60/72??
Ooh I never knew that they actually looked at what people are actually saying! Awesome, and seeing as I haven't found anyone who said it was easy, it seems likely :smile: thanks so much, that reassures me a little. Any guesses as to what ums I'd get for 60/72??

high 90s, maybe 100 if youre lucky and the boundary is like 47 for and A and 42 for a B then itd be 57 for 100, i think the boundary will be around there tbh
Original post by tooambitious
high 90s, maybe 100 if youre lucky and the boundary is like 47 for and A and 42 for a B then itd be 57 for 100, i think the boundary will be around there tbh

Okay cool thank you :smile: I was guessing around 50/72 will be an A, but we shall see, hope you did okay?
Okay cool thank you :smile: I was guessing around 50/72 will be an A, but we shall see, hope you did okay?

yeah, i doubt itll be much higher than that, it seems very few people even finished, looks good like 64-66/72 i think so if the grade boundaries are as low as they look like they're going to be it could be 100 :smile:
yeah, i doubt itll be much higher than that, it seems very few people even finished, looks good like 64-66/72 i think so if the grade boundaries are as low as they look like they're going to be it could be 100 :smile:

Yeah exactly, let's hope they're low. And wow, that's what I guessed I had before the mark scheme came up.... I honestly can't remember some of the answers I wrote and now I'm getting a little worried.... hence why I'm asking what 60 would be :smile: and wow, that would be 100 normally I swear so you've got a really good chance, congrats :smile:
Yeah exactly, let's hope they're low. And wow, that's what I guessed I had before the mark scheme came up.... I honestly can't remember some of the answers I wrote and now I'm getting a little worried.... hence why I'm asking what 60 would be :smile: and wow, that would be 100 normally I swear so you've got a really good chance, congrats :smile:

hope it goes well for you too :smile:
hope it goes well for you too :smile:

Cheers :smile:
Reply 250
Hey, for question 5 V) the marksceme says to add 30 and 90 but if you add 30 and 90 to W you only add one arc as the 90 arc uses the 30 arc. Surely this means it's not 30 and 90 but 30 and 170 or something...
Anyone care to shed any light?
Original post by bigsam
Hey, for question 5 V) the marksceme says to add 30 and 90 but if you add 30 and 90 to W you only add one arc as the 90 arc uses the 30 arc. Surely this means it's not 30 and 90 but 30 and 170 or something...
Anyone care to shed any light?

This is what I thought too, it confused me by saying refer to the table because that included indirect arcs, whereas surely to do the algorithm, after constructing the minimum connector, you add the 2 smallest arcs from W... not the 2 smallest distances which would include one indirect one.... really the question should've asked to refer to the diagram if we're right :smile: if any of the teachers could clear this up for us, that'd be great :smile:
That's a very interesting thought actually... Could well be that they didn't want you to use W to M.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Having said that, I believe the answer is still the same, though I could be wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 253
This is what I thought too, it confused me by saying refer to the table because that included indirect arcs, whereas surely to do the algorithm, after constructing the minimum connector, you add the 2 smallest arcs from W... not the 2 smallest distances which would include one indirect one.... really the question should've asked to refer to the diagram if we're right :smile: if any of the teachers could clear this up for us, that'd be great :smile:

Would be much appreciated if someone could clear it up
Reply 254

I heard this too when we went to speak to the Cambridge (Churchill College) Admissions Tutor. And the interview process and serious implications of it is why I'm not choosing Oxford. :P

I know this is off topic but was this 95% average across relevant subjects or just Maths? Thanks and best of luck! :smile:
Original post by Snowdog94
I know this is off topic but was this 95% average across relevant subjects or just Maths? Thanks and best of luck! :smile:

Essentially, from my 3 visits to cambridge presentations, I can give you what I've been told.
1) the average ums for students at Cambridge already is 95 UMS. But they stressed this was an average, so of course you're going to have people either side. Not sure whether this was for all relevant subjects or like maths and further maths if doing maths...
2) statistically speaking, if you have 95 UMS across all relevant subjects... for me, I do maths, further maths, physics and history, and they wouldn't care about what I got in history... you will have a 3/4 chance of getting in, essentially this is because people will get eliminated at the interviews :smile:
3) if you don't get +95 in everything, don't worry, they tell us this is to stop the people with like averages of 70-80 from applying because it will be a waste of both theirs and your time... if you have 3 A's, you're good enough to apply.

Hope that helps, I can give you my notes on the presentation that they gave if you want some more advice :smile: thanks, and good luck to you too, btw, what subject are you thinking of studying?
Reply 256
Essentially, from my 3 visits to cambridge presentations, I can give you what I've been told.
1) the average ums for students at Cambridge already is 95 UMS. But they stressed this was an average, so of course you're going to have people either side. Not sure whether this was for all relevant subjects or like maths and further maths if doing maths...
2) statistically speaking, if you have 95 UMS across all relevant subjects... for me, I do maths, further maths, physics and history, and they wouldn't care about what I got in history... you will have a 3/4 chance of getting in, essentially this is because people will get eliminated at the interviews :smile:
3) if you don't get +95 in everything, don't worry, they tell us this is to stop the people with like averages of 70-80 from applying because it will be a waste of both theirs and your time... if you have 3 A's, you're good enough to apply.

Hope that helps, I can give you my notes on the presentation that they gave if you want some more advice :smile: thanks, and good luck to you too, btw, what subject are you thinking of studying?

Thank you very much, that was a help. Okay, that's calmed me down after this Decisions paper! I thought I didn't do particularly well but I average 99% from C1, C2 and M1 in January. I'm planning to study Maths but I'm not 100% sure which college yet that I'm applying to, it's hard to decide. How about you?
Original post by Snowdog94
Thank you very much, that was a help. Okay, that's calmed me down after this Decisions paper! I thought I didn't do particularly well but I average 99% from C1, C2 and M1 in January. I'm planning to study Maths but I'm not 100% sure which college yet that I'm applying to, it's hard to decide. How about you?

No worries, the d1 paper was particularly weird :L oh wow, nice job there :biggrin: I did C1 last year and basically because you can breeze gcses, I thought you could breeze C1, which pisses me off now, but yeah, I got 95... especially as C1 is quite easy, I wish I could've got 100. But anyway, we should see what kinda results we've got in august :smile: me too! Woo maths! Yeah, I've decided but going to the open days really helped me :biggrin:
Reply 258

I also thought it was the two smallest direct arcs, so it must have been 30 and 170. I ended up doing 30 and 90 though as it said to use the table. If I get this wrong, then it is a horrible question as it completely misleads you.
Quite frankly, I was angry with the paper in general haha
Think I've lost about 25 marks :/
Reply 259
No worries, the d1 paper was particularly weird :L oh wow, nice job there :biggrin: I did C1 last year and basically because you can breeze gcses, I thought you could breeze C1, which pisses me off now, but yeah, I got 95... especially as C1 is quite easy, I wish I could've got 100. But anyway, we should see what kinda results we've got in august :smile: me too! Woo maths! Yeah, I've decided but going to the open days really helped me :biggrin:

Yeah I feel like people need to be vigilant with these A level Maths papers, especially with OCR. Like in OCR Chemistry, I retook a module and ended up doing both their Chemistry A papers and they threw in trick wording in about every other question! I guess that's just a skill I'm going to try and develop before January exams to read carefully. I understand what it meant by satisfying the students with the revision sessions which I didn't get in the exam!

Yeah, definitely need to catch up when we get results, it will be interesting. Maths is quite interesting to me, I'm not entirely sure which universities I'm applying to yet; I'm keeping my mind open. Cambridge would be nice but there are several nice universities which could be just as satisfying, if not more, to me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending