The Student Room Group

OCR History A Level

I got a B for my History, preventing me from going to my firm choice Uni. I consistently got A* / A for all work and mocks throughout yr12 & 13. I was predicted A* as were a few of my classmates. Nobody got higher than a B! Our coursework was moderated and I went down from the equivalent of 92% to 75%. I feel so gutted. Anyone else get a nasty surprise from OCR History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mini monster
I got a B for my History, preventing me from going to my firm choice Uni. I consistently got A* / A for all work and mocks throughout yr12 & 13. I was predicted A* as were a few of my classmates. Nobody got higher than a B! Our coursework was moderated and I went down from the equivalent of 92% to 75%. I feel so gutted. Anyone else get a nasty surprise from OCR History?

Doing Edexcel, I got A* so I didn’t do badly ( B is by no means bad anyway!) But if I was you, I may go for a re-mark? How did you think you did in the actual exam? Moreover, with the coursework, moderation shouldn’t lower your mark that much, a few marks at the very most. I feel like it’s not your fault, and maybe the fault of your teachers with the coursework.

Was the coursework 20% of the grade?
sort of 💪🏾 my paper 3 score shocked me quite a bit - when i left the exam hall in june, i thought it was the best a level paper i’ve ever sat. the questions i answered were on my favourite topics so i thought i absolutely slayed the paper - i was expecting 25/30 minimum. i got 14 (a C) 😭 i’ve requested the script for it to see what went wrong
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Hey, I had something quite similar happen with OCR this year. My history coursework was halved in marks taking it from an A* to a C. My school is appealing everyone's marks because of irregularities - Has your school appealed/seen anything particularly unusual in the moderator's report?
Reply 4
Original post by levorotational
sort of 💪🏾 my paper 3 score shocked me quite a bit - when i left the exam hall in june, i thought it was the best a level paper i’ve ever sat. the questions i answered were on my favourite topics so i thought i absolutely slayed the paper - i was expecting 25/30 minimum. i got 14 (a C) 😭 i’ve requested the script for it to see what went wrong

Did you get the script back yet? Are you/teachers in agreement with the marks?
Reply 5
Original post by lmnop1234
Hey, I had something quite similar happen with OCR this year. My history coursework was halved in marks taking it from an A* to a C. My school is appealing everyone's marks because of irregularities - Has your school appealed/seen anything particularly unusual in the moderator's report?

School emailed to say my 2 papers that I requested to be reviewed have come back no change, but they’ve not provided any communication from OCR. I’ll be asking them to forward me the actual letter from OCR. Interestingly, school haven’t requested payment yet either!
No mass review of coursework moderation from what I understand; SLT suggest that teachers are at fault for marking more in line with last year’s scheme than this year’s!
Maybe I just need to let it be as I’ve got my insurance at a RG Uni.
What about you - has it affected your uni place?
Please report back here regarding the coursework?
Reply 6
Did you get the script back yet? Are you/teachers in agreement with the marks?

Your teachers should have had access to the script on results day. My teachers completely disagree with the marks and there’s some other dodgy things on the scripts from the moderator. The problem with coursework is appeals need to be done for the entire cohort but thankfully my teachers were so annoyed I was told they did it at the first possible moment - the review will take a long time though.
Reply 7
School emailed to say my 2 papers that I requested to be reviewed have come back no change, but they’ve not provided any communication from OCR. I’ll be asking them to forward me the actual letter from OCR. Interestingly, school haven’t requested payment yet either!
No mass review of coursework moderation from what I understand; SLT suggest that teachers are at fault for marking more in line with last year’s scheme than this year’s!
Maybe I just need to let it be as I’ve got my insurance at a RG Uni.
What about you - has it affected your uni place?
Please report back here regarding the coursework?

I’m confused by the aspersions that they marked by the wrong markscheme to my knowledge the AOs are the same. I missed out on my firm as well because of this lol. I think I got lucky that my school’s history department is very experienced so my school has confidence in them to appeal.
Reply 8
Original post by lmnop1234
I’m confused by the aspersions that they marked by the wrong markscheme to my knowledge the AOs are the same. I missed out on my firm as well because of this lol. I think I got lucky that my school’s history department is very experienced so my school has confidence in them to appeal.

I’m interested to know how you get on…and what steps you might take if your grade increases but you’ve already gone to Uni by the time it comes through?
Reply 9
I’m interested to know how you get on…and what steps you might take if your grade increases but you’ve already gone to Uni by the time it comes through?

Yeah coursework appeals take up to 35 days - I understand why but you’d also think they’d be aware this could affect people’s places at uni. I probably won’t do anything much if my grade increases but I will be less annoyed with OCR.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
Major issues with OCR History too. Coursework from almost full marks (39/40) to 16/40 (and this was the highest mark in the whole cohort). Teacher is very experienced and an experienced colleague has also looked at the papers. Review of marks requested - response just in. No
change! Appeal being considered. No change.

Marks on the other three papers also
unexpectedly low. Teacher has looked at them and they’ve all gone back for a review too.

First choice of university long gone despite two As in the other subjects.

Hi I had an identical experience to you! I was constantly getting A* and As so I was quite disappointed with my B. My coursework also slipped down from one grade off an A. I guess if anything, I hope this makes you feel like you're not alone in that
Reply 12
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hi I had an identical experience to you! I was constantly getting A* and As so I was quite disappointed with my B. My coursework also slipped down from one grade off an A. I guess if anything, I hope this makes you feel like you're not alone in that

Thank you for your sympathy. I’ve ended up with a D overall (one mark off a C). Never any thought I’d end up with that grade.
Reply 13
Original post by jeelba
Major issues with OCR History too. Coursework from almost full marks (39/40) to 16/40 (and this was the highest mark in the whole cohort). Teacher is very experienced and an experienced colleague has also looked at the papers. Review of marks requested - response just in. No
change! Appeal being considered. No change.

Marks on the other three papers also
unexpectedly low. Teacher has looked at them and they’ve all gone back for a review too.

First choice of university long gone despite two As in the other subjects.

Did your teachers appeal the coursework and get told no change?
Reply 14
They sent it for a review and got ‘no change’. Appeal would be the next stage, I think, but appeals are apparently very rarely successful. The teacher is trying to think of the best way forward. The whole History Year 13 Cohort had this 24 mark downgrade to their coursework and much lower results therefore, also leading to the loss of their first choice university…
Reply 15
Original post by jeelba
They sent it for a review and got ‘no change’. Appeal would be the next stage, I think, but appeals are apparently very rarely successful. The teacher is trying to think of the best way forward. The whole History Year 13 Cohort had this 24 mark downgrade to their coursework and much lower results therefore, also leading to the loss of their first choice university…

Woww - my cohort had our rank order and stuff changed so everyone who had marks changed had it done individually. If everyone was taken down by 24 marks surely some ppl would end up on like none.
Reply 16
Also there is an OCR moderation manual and I’m certain 24 marks exceeds tolerance for normal mark adjustments which would normally end with the exam board requesting the school remark. Do you know if the school were contacted pre-results day?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 17
I think they may have been some discussion pre-results day, but the final outcome came as a huge surprise to the teacher - as well as everyone else. Plenty of candidates ended up with a U for coursework. It is baffling everyone and it seems very difficult to get any reliable information…

Oh that's absurd some thing I don't knew was that we have same grading
Reply 19
Original post by jeelba
I think they may have been some discussion pre-results day, but the final outcome came as a huge surprise to the teacher - as well as everyone else. Plenty of candidates ended up with a U for coursework. It is baffling everyone and it seems very difficult to get any reliable information…

That’s not how it should have worked I’ll upload some screen shots about relevant procedure during moderation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending