The Student Room Group

AQA Mechanics 1B 24 May 2012 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oromis263
That's exactly what I went for (in combination with no air resistance), and I felt so torn about it. Changed it between that and g = 9.8 several times, but finally went with the particle one, as g is given on the front of the paper... I don't know, I think a lot of people will have a lot of different answers, so they'll probably have a whole variety of options.

In terms of difficulty, I'm unsure. It had only one or two "Show that.." questions, in which usually you can feel confident with what you're getting, whilst in this one you had to follow through with your calculations and have faith in them! Perhaps not as low as January's paper (68/75 for 100UMS), but maybe not as high as last June's (75/75 for 100UMS)

Yes i opted for air resistance as the other assumption too (it was the only truly conclusive one imo), tbh a light peg also sounds good.

Jans boundary was really 68/75 for 100 UMS :O! I thought that paper was pretty easy, there was basically a whole 15 free marks for working out areas under straight line graphs! Certainly i can't see the boundaries for this paper being so low, though i'm at a loss to explain them for Jan's paper.

Talking to people at my school, i felt that people seemed to fall down on the end of question 7 (speed when travelling south east) and part of 8 (time above 5 meters). With regards to the later, a lot of people i talked to had actually solved the relevant quadratic but hadn't realised that they needed the difference between the two solutions. I suspect this will only cost them one of the marks though if they do show both solutions (as opposed to just quoting the larger solution only- then -2 marks imo).

Hopefully i'll get 95+ UMS but its more a matter of pride- i technically need between no UMS and 7 UMS in M1 depending on my c4 score to get an A/A* (again dependant on c4 performance) so it doesn't really matter. 1 exam down, 13 to go :tongue:.
Original post by thedifferenatiator
They was two different parts of a question right? They mark each one individually so you will lose 1 mark on each for accuracy. But the method will certainly be right.

For all we know the exam may say "condone negative answer" im not sure. But my answer wasnt negative :tongue:

Yes two separate parts. Ah, it's alright for some. :tongue:
Original post by In One Ear
Yes i opted for air resistance as the other assumption too (it was the only truly conclusive one imo), tbh a light peg also sounds good.

Jans boundary was really 68/75 for 100 UMS :O! I thought that paper was pretty easy, there was basically a whole 15 free marks for working out areas under straight line graphs! Certainly i can't see the boundaries for this paper being so low, though i'm at a loss to explain them for Jan's paper.

Talking to people at my school, i felt that people seemed to fall down on the end of question 7 (speed when travelling south east) and part of 8 (time above 5 meters). With regards to the later, a lot of people i talked to had actually solved the relevant quadratic but hadn't realised that they needed the difference between the two solutions. I suspect this will only cost them one of the marks though if they do show both solutions (as opposed to just quoting the larger solution only- then -2 marks imo).

Hopefully i'll get 95+ UMS but its more a matter of pride- i technically need between no UMS and 7 UMS in M1 depending on my c4 score to get an A/A* (again dependant on c4 performance) so it doesn't really matter. 1 exam down, 13 to go :tongue:.

The Jan paper was 73/75 for 100 UMS. How have you still got 13 exams to go?!?! :eek:
Original post by In One Ear

As a few people mentioned, Jan was actually 73/75 which makes more sense. I think I confused it with a different paper. :P

I'm in the same boat as you, in which M1 has little to no effect on whether I get an A or A*, hopefully I'll be able to adjust to C4 in time. :P

7 exams left for me, so not too bad. :smile:
For the projectiles question where you had to find out the time above 5 seconds, did you have to minus your smaller value of t from your larger one?

I never did this and stated my answer as the larger T.

I got the values right (if everybody elses is anything to go by) so id only lose one method mark so 4/5 anyway.

Suprised that was only 5 marks considering it was just as hard as the usual projectiles quadratic questions and a new situation. I cant remember them asking for that before "find the time above X"

But to be fair the two first parts of that question were worth 3 marks each and im sure theyre usually only worth 2, or one is usually 3 and the other 2 so a total of 5 instead of 6 like this time round.
Original post by thedifferenatiator
For the projectiles question where you had to find out the time above 5 seconds, did you have to minus your smaller value of t from your larger one?

I never did this and stated my answer as the larger T.

I got the values right (if everybody elses is anything to go by) so id only lose one method mark so 4/5 anyway.

Suprised that was only 5 marks considering it was just as hard as the usual projectiles quadratic questions and a new situation. I cant remember them asking for that before "find the time above X"

But to be fair the two first parts of that question were worth 3 marks each and im sure theyre usually only worth 2, or one is usually 3 and the other 2 so a total of 5 instead of 6 like this time round.

I recall encountering a question that involved finding the time above a certain height, but I think it must have been on a Solomon Press paper, rather than an AQA past paper.
Reply 186
Original post by jph12
I saved all my answers on my graphical calculator. I do not remember the questions, and will edit this thread according to the general feedback of the answers. Some of these may be wrong, again, these are simply my answers.

1a)5.39
b)338

2)0.5

3ai)? (Seemed to have not entered anything in for this question, though I did do it.
3aii)10
3aiii)2800N
3b)2600

4a)60
b)17.3
c)1.77

5a)5.88
bi)122.4
bii)117.6
biii)0.735
c)No air resistance, block is uniform in mass.

6a)Diagram, I think
b)NR = 78.4 - 0.5T
c)20.8

7a) s = (-i+3j)+0.5(0.1i-0.2j)t^2
b)30
c)1.41

8a) Angle was 61 degrees
b)19.6
c)43.4
d)3.69
e)10.8

How did u work out 5bi and 5biii ?
Reply 187
i dont understand for 7b how everyone got 30s? can someone explain this to me :smile:
Reply 188

Q7. Vectors/coordinate working of a particle in motion
a. s = (-i+3j)+0.5(0.1i-0.2j)t^2
b. Time = 30s
c. Speed = 1.41m/s

I left my answer and Root 2 instead of 1.41. Do you think I would lose any marks for that?
Original post by Sunnyk1
i dont understand for 7b how everyone got 30s? can someone explain this to me :smile:

Well if you use calculus and integrate from your acceleration you should be left with -0.1t^2+3t=0
It equals 0 because it is the northern component, and it asked for due east - in other words, displacement east.
t(-0.1t+3)=0 (taking out t as a common factor)
t=0 cannot be the valid time as this is when the particle is at the origin
-0.1t+3=0
0.1t=3
t=30seconds
hope this helped :smile:

sorry i jumped straight from calculus to -0.1t^2 without explaining

think it was acceleration [0.1i -0.2j]
integrate with respect to t
[0.1t-1i -0.2t+3j] gives us velocity
[0.05t^2-ti -0.1t^2+3tj] gives us displacement, when it's due east j=0
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 1platinum
The Jan paper was 73/75 for 100 UMS. How have you still got 13 exams to go?!?! :eek:

Ahah well I've got c3,c4, fp2, fp3 s2 and m2 to sit just for maths alone. Then i screwed up my phys and chem in jan so am resitting both units and doing the two new ones. Thats 10. Then i'm sitting STEP 1, 2 and the AEA for maths which brings the total up to 13 :smile:.
Original post by gouldie70
I left my answer and Root 2 instead of 1.41. Do you think I would lose any marks for that?

I would say no, but then I'm not an exam marker, so they may well only accept answers to 3sigfig. However, you could only lose A1, and should have all method marks for sure. :smile:
Reply 192
Jotted down my answers and here they are :smile: :

1a)5.39
b)338

2)0.5

3ai) -2
3aii)10
3aiii)2800
3b)2600

4a)60
b)17.3
c)1.77

5a)5.88
bi)122
bii)118
biii)0.735
c)No air resistance, block is a particle.

6a)Diagram
b)NR = 78.4 - 0.5T
c)23.5

b)30
c)1.41

8a) -
b)19.6
c)43.4
d)3.45
e)10.9

Hope this helps
Reply 193
damn due to stupid errors i think ive dropped around 10 marks. what would 65 ums be? anyone
Reply 194
Original post by greenfro

1a)5.39
b)338

2)0.5

3ai) -2
3aii)10
3aiii)2800
3b)2600

4a)60
b)17.3
c)1.77

5a)5.88
bi)122
bii)118
biii)0.735

6a)Diagram
b)NR = 78.4 - 0.5T
c)23.5

b)30
c)1.41

8a) -
b)19.6
c)43.4
d)3.45
e)10.9

Hope this helps

Holy shot .... you hit the jack pot... you got all of them correct.... may I ask do you do physics - its understandable if you do physics from As cause this is so easy for people who are also taking physics.... :no:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-N7000
Reply 195
Original post by Sunnyk1
damn due to stupid errors i think ive dropped around 10 marks. what would 65 ums be? anyone

Why are you asking for 65 ums when you said you've lost 10 marks... if that's it you'll be at 70+ ums .
Btw if you want to find out an estimate do 0.65*75..

Original post by greenfro

1a)5.39
b)338

2)0.5

3ai) -2
3aii)10
3aiii)2800
3b)2600

4a)60
b)17.3
c)1.77

5a)5.88
bi)122
bii)118
biii)0.735

6a)Diagram
b)NR = 78.4 - 0.5T
c)23.5

b)30
c)1.41

8a) -
b)19.6
c)43.4
d)3.45
e)10.9

Hope this helps

These all match up with mine as well, posted a couple of pages back. Now for me to try conquer M2.. D;
Reply 197
Original post by karchun
Why are you asking for 65 ums when you said you've lost 10 marks... if that's it you'll be at 70+ ums .
Btw if you want to find out an estimate do 0.65*75..

haha my bad i meant 65 raw marks
Reply 198
Original post by karchun
Holy shot .... you hit the jack pot... you got all of them correct.... may I ask do you do physics - its understandable if you do physics from As cause this is so easy for people who are also taking physics.... :no:

Nope don't do Physics! I found it really hard to get the hang of it as it has 2 years since GCSE physics!

These all match up with mine as well, posted a couple of pages back. Now for me to try conquer M2.. D;

I have C3 and C4 to come! and C3 is on my birthday!!!! :frown:
Original post by Dirtybit
Whats the grade boundaries usually for mechanics?

The grade boundaries might be a bit higher this time. The questions weren't that bad.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending